• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wingfanatic4alltime

Ranking NHL Broadcasters

Rate this topic

The moment I saw Doc Emrick ranked so low I disregarded the list. However...

Ken and (especially) Mickey are very, very biased announcers. I am a Red Wings fan and a Blues fan so I have a little bit more objectivity than most of you here. I prefer listening to games called by them seeing as how I cheer for the Wings and share their sentiments but if you don't acknowledge their blatant bias and homerism then you are either stupid or deaf.

Whaaaaaaa :blink:

Guest stinky fish taco

mick is pretty awful. i guess most of you consider random chuckling to be great "commentary".

suggesting that larry murphy is even somewhat decent as a commentator is so laughable that it really doesn't even warrant a response.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I think Ken is one of the best in the league.

Mickey is great, but getting too old for the job. It's my opinion that if you can't regularly travel with the team, maybe you shouldn't be a main announcer. I'm not saying fire him, but maybe he should be between periods doing review commentary.

Murphy is pretty horrid. He doesn't flow with Ken; always seems to be interrupting. His between period coverage is even worse. He sides with the ref's calls regardless if they are blatantly wrong or right (for either team). He doesn't fit the part of an announcer, and the constant jokes about him drinking and dollar hot dogs only support my opinion.

John Keating and Mickey York aren't the greatest, but they aren't hockey guys either. They're sports guys covering multiple teams. They could improve, but they aren't on enough to really bother me.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

The moment I saw Doc Emrick ranked so low I disregarded the list. However...

Ken and (especially) Mickey are very, very biased announcers.

All color guys are somewhat biased, thats the point of a color guy. I don't think Mick is as crazy biased as some people claim though. I mean...he routinely calls out BS calls, like every game, when its the Wings going to the PP. You don't see too many other announcers doing that, they only complain about bad calls going against them.

Guest Shoreline

http://www.calgaryhe...2365/story.html

Sportscaster Peter Loubardias leaves the Flames. Well, I hated his voice, won't miss him.

Heeeeee skewersss!!! Some kind of goal!!!

I don't think you're gonna get much of a different accent from broadcasters in Alberta. There's something about accents from there and SK that are like nails on a chalkboard.

Edited by Shoreline

What I like about Ken, and Mickey is that there's no doubting their allegiance - however they're certainly not the foaming at the mouth homers that you'll find in a good number of play-by-play broadcast booths (take Boston, or Chicago for example).

On top of that they'll sing the praises, and scorn the opponent, and Red Wings alike; to me that shows their hockey acumen, and humility.

They're simply awesome :thumbup:

This. All of this.

I have always liked Don Cherry, too, although for different reasons.

Personally, I like Daniels and Redmond. However, they indeed rarely talk about what happens on the ice. I don't need it though as I watch hockey since I was 5...

I also like San Jose crew. They are almost always neutral. Absolutely hate Pens and Bruins announcers.

PS For some reason my wife always fall asleep when Redmond is talking... :)

My mom thinks Mickey Redmond is good looking. I think Murph is good looking. Ken is actually good looking, just not my type and too young for my mom.

I think we have a winning crew.

If others don't like them, fine. Shut off the volume and watch the game. That's what I do if I have to listen to annoying announcers.