• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:35 AM

This is also why you won't see Ken Daniels ever doing a Red Wings game on Versus or NBC for that matter.

:huh:

He has this past year.

Also, it was after the Comcast/NBC 'merger' or whatever when the let go of Beninati.

#22 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:36 AM

One other point, they've got LA's broadcast team as 5 stars... I dont mind Jim Fox, but good lord, he and the other guy have easily the most boring broadcasts ever. I'd rather mute the TV and play Metallica the whole time, at least that way I'd be pumped and interested <_<

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan, 09 July 2011 - 11:37 AM.

#NOMOREKINDL

#23 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:50 AM

One other point, they've got LA's broadcast team as 5 stars... I dont mind Jim Fox, but good lord, he and the other guy have easily the most boring broadcasts ever. I'd rather mute the TV and play Metallica the whole time, at least that way I'd be pumped and interested <_<

They're voices definitely aren't for entertainment at all but I've always found them to be among the most knowledgeable. I don't know if they should have gotten 5 stars but that factor alone at least puts them above average.

#24 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:28 PM

He has this past year.

Also, it was after the Comcast/NBC 'merger' or whatever when the let go of Beninati.

Ken called some games on NBC and Versus, but they weren't Red Wings games.
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#25 Cajanek_Spielmacher

Cajanek_Spielmacher

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:30 PM

Bernie Federko is not the color man for St. Louis............see Darren Pang! :huh:
PRIDE-PASSION-DETERMINATION-FAITH-ST.LOUIS BLUES----

#26 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

Bernie Federko is not the color man for St. Louis............see Darren Pang! :huh:

Pangers awesome, I'll give you that. But Ferderko just ruins the broadcasts, every single time I get the Blues feed on CI.

#NOMOREKINDL

#27 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

And how many on that list of so-called "Good announcers" are going to be in the Hall of Fame for their broadcasting talents?

I'll take Ken and Mick over any of those other clowns. Hell, those tools in Nashville can't even pronounce names properly or even identify the players correctly half the time.
Posted Image

#28 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:08 PM

He has this past year.

Wasn't a Red Wings game. It was like the Flyersvs Rangers or Flyers vs Caps, I forget which, but one of those.

Edited by Shoreline, 09 July 2011 - 05:09 PM.

#29 Dtown1340

Dtown1340

Draftee

• 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but I personally cannot even STAND to watch a Sabres game when it is broadcast on their local network. Just the prospect of hearing Rick Jeanneretf****** scream goal for 5 minutes after any Sabres score drives me insane. I don't know how Buffalo fans handle hearing that all year long. And the writer of this article gives him 4 stars? I could just be biased because I'm judging him solely on how annoying his goal announcement is, but damn.

I absolutely despise when commentators try to steal the spotlight when athlete's do notable things. Same with football and any other sport I watch, just drives me crazy.

I also agree completely with everyone that Pittsburgh's commentators suck ass. I understand a little homerism when you're working for a team as the broadcaster, but you have to give credit where credit is due. When the Pens get scored on, no matter how fantastic the goal is, they never give credit to the other team. Sometimes even talk over the replays about different s*** while the goal is being shown. Just bothers the hell out of me.

Sorry for the rant, I'll step off the soap box now haha

#30 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

cuz they talk about annoying s*** like the hotdog thing. larry murphy is annoying. but mickey, oh hes a beauty and makes up for the other s***.

#31 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

NBC has went the route of trying to hire non-homer announcers. This is why you will never see Mick and Ken on NBC. This is also why you won't see Ken Daniels ever doing a Red Wings game on Versus or NBC for that matter.

If this was true, however, why is Eddie Olczyk allowed to do Chicago and Pittsburgh games?

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#32 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

If this was true, however, why is Eddie Olczyk allowed to do Chicago and Pittsburgh games?

Yep. Eddie O is one of the biggest homers in the business. Yet he seems to do every game, including the Hawks on national TV.
Posted Image

#33 blues_demitra38

blues_demitra38

Rookie

• Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

The moment I saw Doc Emrick ranked so low I disregarded the list. However...

Ken and (especially) Mickey are very, very biased announcers. I am a Red Wings fan and a Blues fan so I have a little bit more objectivity than most of you here. I prefer listening to games called by them seeing as how I cheer for the Wings and share their sentiments but if you don't acknowledge their blatant bias and homerism then you are either stupid or deaf.

#34 aflac9262

aflac9262

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

Please forgive me for going off topic, but does anybody remember Don Wittman? I always felt he was underrated.

#35 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:17 PM

Those two jerkstains in SJ deserve to be lower than ken and mick. Homer #1 and #2.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#36 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:50 PM

I get annoyed listening to any broadcast but the Wings broadcast, most announcers didn't even get Datsyuk's name right until last year....

EDIT: (I also love Joe Bowen, but he never has anything to call;)

Edited by 13dangledangle, 09 July 2011 - 10:52 PM.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#37 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

I'm embarassed for the person who wrote this terrible article. To have Weber and Crisp as 5 star broadcasters is comical. To quote he says "Weber calls a fair and error-free game and moves seamlessly from explaining the basics of the game to calling out line chances and on-ice play" . Oh really? Everytime I've had the ear piercing pleasure of listening to these 2 ass hats Weber and Crisp constantly complain about the reffing and talk s*** about whoever they are playing whether they are up by 5 goals or down by 5 goals. I'm just happy im only subjected to listening to these two a couple times a year when I'm in my car. :bad:

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#38 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

Joe Bowen (CBC, LeafsTV, TSN, Sportsnet, lots of Leafs games and Canadian teams)

Bowen is not on CBC or TSN. When the Leafs are on nationally (TSN or CBC), Bowen does the Leafs radio broadcast.

Edited by MacK_Attack, 10 July 2011 - 12:06 PM.

#39 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:21 PM

Bowen is not on CBC or TSN. When the Leafs are on nationally (TSN or CBC), Bowen does the Leafs radio broadcast.

Bowen has done games on both CBC and TSN.

Obviously it's quite a rare thing, but an FYI for ya. Maybe I should have just used stations they do normally? Dean Brown, for example as someone who I listed, almost never does CBC nor Versus, but I included those because I've seen him doing both.

Edited by Shoreline, 10 July 2011 - 12:23 PM.

#40 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:11 PM

I could give 2 s***s about this article. Ken and Mick are the best. Some of the yoyo's that I heard from other teams should be ashamed to collect a paycheck.

The worst is that idiot from Chicago who intentionally mis-pronounces the names of the Wings.

I'll take Ken and Mick and yes even Larry any day.

Didn't they just give Mickey an award from the HOF for his broadcasting? And didn't Versus have Ken doing play by play games a few months ago.

Obviously somebody must like them.
Do or do not. There is no try