• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 PrairieDawg

PrairieDawg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:58 PM

I love Ken and Mick. I think Ken is one of the best play-by-play guys in the league and the chemistry between Ken, Mick, and Murphy is great. Its a relaxed and fun atmosphere. Plus they might hate the stories they talk about but I love to hear some personal experiences they had with the players and staff. Its not like they need to be super serious about being 100% professional broadcasters.

#42 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

First thing I thought when I saw the list was:

Posted Image

The guy who wrote this is clearly an ass clown. Nothing to lose sleep over.

#43 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:02 PM

#44 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:02 PM

http://www.sbnation.com/2011/7/8/2250696/nhl-broadcaster-rankings-announcers-commentators
I didnt see this posted anywhere so forgive me if this is old news but how in the hell can Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond be among the worst of the announcers. What I do not get is the author of this article bashes announcers for being homers well the announcers are working for that TEAM so I would expect them to be biased. Am I a homer for thinking are announcers definitly are not as bad as Jack Edwards.

Just one of many endless ways you can determine who is good or bad. I wouldn't sweat it so much.

I didn't look at the listing, but if the composer of this deal wrote it on them being kinda even-keeled or bland about a game, I'd agree. And I don't think being on an even-keel most times is necessarily a bad thing. I'm not one that typically likes to show much emotion, or be melodramatic or rant over and over again or carry on and on and on about something excitedly.

I'll naturally react if a goal is scored by a yeah or some clapping or whatever in the heat of the moment, but move on then. I don't like carrying on unnecessarily (i.e. picture Buffalo's annoucer who goes on and on and on after goals, I forgot what his name is).

I like both Ken and Mickey. They get naturally excited or show frustration in the heat of the moment but leave it at that. They are un-biased. They don't carry on all that much with emotion or pointless stories, etc.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 10 July 2011 - 06:05 PM.

#45 echos myron

echos myron

swag

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:26 PM

I like both Ken and Mickey. They get naturally excited or show frustration in the heat of the moment but leave it at that. They are un-biased. They don't carry on all that much with emotion or pointless stories, etc.

They're both biased. Daniels more so, he'll have an indignant tone to his voice whenever a supposed bad call or injustice happens. He likes to slip in things about the other team getting away with something all the time but generally doesn't call out the Wings. Mickey is a lot more level-headed and will criticize Wings players and weak calls against both teams.

Mickey tends to go off on tangents. His time with the Canadiens, wood vs. composite, etc.

#46 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

Our announcers suck, get over it.

#47 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:22 PM

Our announcers suck, get over it.

You can have a differing opinion without sounding like a douchebag.

Posted Image

#48 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:24 PM

Diden't bother to read the list but I love Ken and Mick. Iv got center ice for the past 3 years and think the Panthers have a really good team for whatever reason.

#49 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:45 PM

What I like about Ken, and Mickey is that there's no doubting their allegiance - however they're certainly not the foaming at the mouth homers that you'll find in a good number of play-by-play broadcast booths (take Boston, or Chicago for example).

On top of that they'll sing the praises, and scorn the opponent, and Red Wings alike; to me that shows their hockey acumen, and humility.

They're simply awesome :thumbup:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#50 FunkedUp

FunkedUp

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:40 AM

Ken and Mickey were passin' a doobie; Murph was obviously drunk.

#51 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:26 AM

Bowen has done games on both CBC and TSN.

Obviously it's quite a rare thing, but an FYI for ya. Maybe I should have just used stations they do normally? Dean Brown, for example as someone who I listed, almost never does CBC nor Versus, but I included those because I've seen him doing both.

Bowen used to games on TSN back when TSN did regional games for the Leafs, but that hasn't happened for 6-7 years. All Leafs games on TSN are national, which means it's either Gord Miller or Chris Cuthbert calling it.

Maybe Bowen did CBC broadcasts way back when, but he hasn't been on CBC in recent memory.

#52 Namtaru

Namtaru

Rookie

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

This was the first thing that came to my mind.

#53 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

This was the first thing that came to my mind.

It would be nice to balance that video out with a clip of Mickey getting upset when Detroit gets a powerplay as a result of a cheesy call.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#54 I Red Wings I

I Red Wings I

Holy mackerel!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

The moment I saw Doc Emrick ranked so low I disregarded the list. However...

Ken and (especially) Mickey are very, very biased announcers. I am a Red Wings fan and a Blues fan so I have a little bit more objectivity than most of you here. I prefer listening to games called by them seeing as how I cheer for the Wings and share their sentiments but if you don't acknowledge their blatant bias and homerism then you are either stupid or deaf.

Whaaaaaaa :blink:

#55 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:52 PM

mick is pretty awful. i guess most of you consider random chuckling to be great "commentary".

suggesting that larry murphy is even somewhat decent as a commentator is so laughable that it really doesn't even warrant a response.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#56 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:11 PM

I think Ken is one of the best in the league.

Mickey is great, but getting too old for the job. It's my opinion that if you can't regularly travel with the team, maybe you shouldn't be a main announcer. I'm not saying fire him, but maybe he should be between periods doing review commentary.

Murphy is pretty horrid. He doesn't flow with Ken; always seems to be interrupting. His between period coverage is even worse. He sides with the ref's calls regardless if they are blatantly wrong or right (for either team). He doesn't fit the part of an announcer, and the constant jokes about him drinking and dollar hot dogs only support my opinion.

John Keating and Mickey York aren't the greatest, but they aren't hockey guys either. They're sports guys covering multiple teams. They could improve, but they aren't on enough to really bother me.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 11 July 2011 - 03:12 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#57 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:24 PM

The moment I saw Doc Emrick ranked so low I disregarded the list. However...

Ken and (especially) Mickey are very, very biased announcers.

All color guys are somewhat biased, thats the point of a color guy. I don't think Mick is as crazy biased as some people claim though. I mean...he routinely calls out BS calls, like every game, when its the Wings going to the PP. You don't see too many other announcers doing that, they only complain about bad calls going against them.

#58 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:39 PM

http://www.calgaryhe...2365/story.html

Sportscaster Peter Loubardias leaves the Flames. Well, I hated his voice, won't miss him.

Heeeeee skewersss!!! Some kind of goal!!!
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#59 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:21 AM

http://www.calgaryhe...2365/story.html

Sportscaster Peter Loubardias leaves the Flames. Well, I hated his voice, won't miss him.

Heeeeee skewersss!!! Some kind of goal!!!

I don't think you're gonna get much of a different accent from broadcasters in Alberta. There's something about accents from there and SK that are like nails on a chalkboard.

Edited by Shoreline, 15 July 2011 - 08:23 AM.

#60 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:34 PM

What I like about Ken, and Mickey is that there's no doubting their allegiance - however they're certainly not the foaming at the mouth homers that you'll find in a good number of play-by-play broadcast booths (take Boston, or Chicago for example).

On top of that they'll sing the praises, and scorn the opponent, and Red Wings alike; to me that shows their hockey acumen, and humility.

They're simply awesome :thumbup:

This. All of this.

I have always liked Don Cherry, too, although for different reasons.
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/