• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Double D

Rate this topic

alls not going well for the Kings in the re-signing of Doughty, it seems to be taking longer than they would like. Is this Drew

thinking more about where he could end up next season as a UFA or maybe its just about how much his agent thinks he's worth. Has

Kenny got a cunning plan by keeping the $'s he has for the signing deadline............I'm not sure but he sure would be an adequate

replacement for the capt.

Given the Wings' surprising lack of a high profile defensive signing (unless you count Mike Commodore's Twitter account) that would give credence to rumors we'd all like to believe. Such as "Holland is currently in trade talks with LA to acquire Drew Doughty, who he will then re-sign long-term for a reasonable deal."

We'd all love to see that move made to succeed Nick. But who would go in such a deal? The Kings are probably set at forward, so it's unlikely we could just pack up one or more of Hudler/Filppula/Franzen to grab him. Plus they would want a competent defenseman back to fill Doughty's spot. Maybe two, given the fact that they only have five signed defensemen.

How about Brad Stuart, Jonathan Ericsson, and a 1st for Drew Doughty? Two 1sts?

Guest Heaten

I think Holland is saving money for opportunity. Maybe not Doughty exclusively, but for any opportunity. Who knows, maybe Preds want to move Suter before deadline, or 'Yotes decide to offer a trade for 'Yandle..

I think if you have cap space at trade deadline, high-quality players can be had at very reasonable prices.

Edited by Heaten

He will not be a UFA next season, so I do not think that is it.... I think to be a UFA you need to either be 27 or have 7 years of experience.

I am sure they are trying to lock him up and get some UFA years, which obviously might cost them. However, I don't really see him going anywhere when he would still be an RFA. The assets it would cost to acquire him would be quite significant.

In respect to Kenny and the money that is still available, I think it it more due to the fact that the market is weak and whatever is left it not really an upgrade. As of right now, most of the teams are still quite flexible with cap space as most are under the cap by a fair amount.

Fresh off the twitter press.

@NHLwiki

#NHL *NEWS* -- Sounds out of L.A is that Drew Doughty has signed a multi-year contract extension with the #LAKings. TBA by team soon.

From what I have seen since I have followed them they seem to be pretty credible.

It's a very neat thought that Doughty could be on this roster and it would make sense to try a get a solid replacment for Nick Now but is it possible?? If they were going to make a trade for Doughty here is what I'd like to see. Stuart, Hudler, and Filppula for Doughty. No Picks at all keep the draft picks out of the equasion. If it happens I'd be on board as long as it's a fair deal.

Me too. :o

There's a nice interactive one here.

As to Drew D (the actual DD), it would be nice to have him here, but I don't see him at the trade deadline. The Kings will probably still be in the playoff hunt then. I don't think they'll be looking to sell.

Beyond that will depend on his intent to stay with the Kings vs. his intent to seek money elsewhere. Detroit is not the place players who want big paydays come to roost.

As much as I'd love him, I don't see it happening. I could easily be wrong, in which case, I'll gladly wear a DD t-shirt. I will not, however, post pics.

It's a very neat thought that Doughty could be on this roster and it would make sense to try a get a solid replacment for Nick Now but is it possible?? If they were going to make a trade for Doughty here is what I'd like to see. Stuart, Hudler, and Filppula for Doughty. No Picks at all keep the draft picks out of the equasion. If it happens I'd be on board as long as it's a fair deal.

The Kings aren't going to trade for both Hudler and Filppula. They might take one in a deal, but the Kings have a stack full of big scoring forwards. A guy like Filppula ends up being Manny Malhotra on that roster; a defensive center who is excellent on PK and faceoffs. Hudler might have more penetration simply because his role is more offensive, but they don't really need that so they're not likely to trade for him.

Stuart would give them a veteran defenseman who has actually been more than a depth defenseman most of his career, as opposed to what they have now in Mitchell and Scuderi. Ericsson would give them a moderately experienced defenseman with size, skating ability, a huge shot, and puck skills. The Kings would definitely want at least one first round pick back, and picks have to be part of the equation because LA's roster is strong enough that the Wings can't offer fair value without them.

I think Holland is saving money for opportunity. Maybe not Doughty exclusively, but for any opportunity. Who knows, maybe Preds want to move Suter before deadline, or 'Yotes decide to offer a trade for 'Yandle..

I think if you have cap space at trade deadline, high-quality players can be had at very reasonable prices.

The Preds moving Suter before the deadline is NOT out of the question. We are waiting to see what Weber will be awarded. That being said, some people will argue that the Preds wouldn't trade Suter to the Wings, but if it's true that the Wings are moving east after this season, then the Preds wouldn't need to worry about that... But at what cost to get Suter here?

Honestly I think Holland is just saving some cap space for the trade deadline or NEXT off-season. Does anyone know where to go to find a list of the NEXT UFA crop? Seems like he's trying to ice basically the same team, but a little stronger defensively, and hoping that the new coaches will help give the team the killer instinct it lacked last year. Then, in the following season, make a big splash with signing Lidstrom's replacement who will probably command an astounding sized contract.

Honestly I think Holland is just saving some cap space for the trade deadline or NEXT off-season. Does anyone know where to go to find a list of the NEXT UFA crop? Seems like he's trying to ice basically the same team, but a little stronger defensively, and hoping that the new coaches will help give the team the killer instinct it lacked last year. Then, in the following season, make a big splash with signing Lidstrom's replacement who will probably command an astounding sized contract.

http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year_id=2012&team_id=-1&position_id=-1&fa_type_id=2

If the Kings are going to trade Doughty I don't see the Wings being able to put forth a competitive offer.. It'd take something like Stuart/Ericsson, Flip/Hudler, Tatar, a couple firsts, and a lower prospect... A King's ransom ;) ... I'd do it for Doughty but it might even take more than that

Edited by T-Ruff

Actually I would do the complete opposite... I would LOAD this whole deal on picks. Hudler, Ericsson and the first round for the next 2 years. We are an elite team...give them as many "26th" picks they want...we like to find our talent 210th overall!!!

Its different if you are the leafs or the Islanders...you may be looking at a top 5 pick, but LA wouldnt get a top 20 pick and we would land DD!

Actually I would do the complete opposite... I would LOAD this whole deal on picks. Hudler, Ericsson and the first round for the next 2 years. We are an elite team...give them as many "26th" picks they want...we like to find our talent 210th overall!!!

Its different if you are the leafs or the Islanders...you may be looking at a top 5 pick, but LA wouldnt get a top 20 pick and we would land DD!

U don't think that lombardi knows that he's getting late first rounders? its even more a sure thing that we finish high if he's giving DD to us. Its would be what the guy before said, with a better player like stuart going the other way. I could see:

Stuart, Fil, Ericsson, 1st 2012 and we get something like DD and a 3rd back.

No way LA takes hudler back, it takes premier talent to get premier talent.

EDIT: not to mention that LA still wants to make a cup run, so they need someone to fill the void on right D and stuart could be perfect. Also, Ericsson has some sort of modified NTC according to capgeek.

Edited by dirtydangles

Guest echos myron

I think out of all the big name dmen that could be available, Suter is the most realistic.

Stuart or Kronwall would be required as part of the deal, not just Ericsson. Probably Stuart, Ericsson, two firsts, and possibly one of Hudler or Filppula as well.

Stuart or Kronwall would be required as part of the deal, not just Ericsson. Probably Stuart, Ericsson, two firsts, and possibly one of Hudler or Filppula as well.

You are on glue if you think it's going to take that much to get Doughty..he's good but he isn't that good. And there is no way Holland would give up a top 4 d man, Ericsson, 2 firsts and either Huds or Flip.I don't think the Kings would want Ericsson or Huds so it would be Stuart/Kronwall , a 1st rounder and Flip..and I wouldn't do that either.

Guest Crymson

You are on glue if you think it's going to take that much to get Doughty..he's good but he isn't that good. And there is no way Holland would give up a top 4 d man, Ericsson, 2 firsts and either Huds or Flip.I don't think the Kings would want Ericsson or Huds so it would be Stuart/Kronwall , a 1st rounder and Flip..and I wouldn't do that either.

So he isn't that good, but he's worth $7m+? I don't get it.

I personally don't think he's worth what people are valuing him at. He was a Norris nominee, sure, but it was in the same year Mike Green was. He's had a concussion and a middling season since.