• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Backup Goalie?

Rate this topic

When the dust settles, who will be our new backup?  

165 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As big of an Ozzie fan I've been over the years, I think he's done. That groin injury will never go away. I voted WILDCARD B*TCHES! - Someone out of left field.

That is my biggest concern about him as well... people seem to ignore the fact that groin injuries are no joke, even the Hasek defense doesn't work, because it took him 3 failed seasons and tons of rehab before he was back and even then, he was 80% of what he had been... needing those 3 years to heal doesn't help us THIS season... I'll pull for him like crazy if he's brought back and HOPE for the best, but it will scare the crap out of me too...

Sounds like Osgood is going to be the guy if you read between the lines. He'll be back if the Wings want him, and it sounds like the Wings will take him if he feels he can play. And we saw this last season: Ozzie will say he can play even if he only had one leg.

Sounds like Osgood is going to be the guy if you read between the lines. He'll be back if the Wings want him, and it sounds like the Wings will take him if he feels he can play. And we saw this last season: Ozzie will say he can play even if he only had one leg.

Ummmmmmm what? What I saw the last 2 seasons was an aging Osgood who could not find consistency.

That is my biggest concern about him as well... people seem to ignore the fact that groin injuries are no joke, even the Hasek defense doesn't work, because it took him 3 failed seasons and tons of rehab before he was back and even then, he was 80% of what he had been... needing those 3 years to heal doesn't help us THIS season... I'll pull for him like crazy if he's brought back and HOPE for the best, but it will scare the crap out of me too...

Agree. By December he'll probably be back on the IR with groin problems.

Plus I think it's a great time for Ozzie to retire. He has 3 cup rings, got his 400th win, and rebounded somewhat in 2010-11 from two shaky seasons by posting 5-3-2, 2.77, and .903 in 11 games.

And who could blame him? If I was a professional athlete I'd certainly want to go as long as my body can take it and I have a desire to play, win and do something that's fun and get paid to do it. Is it selfish? Yeah, but that's not necessarily a bad thing in this case. If management thinks that he is being too "selfish" to where it is a detriment to the team, they'll tell him it is time to finally move on. When Osgood was in last season, he did fine (not really the case the season before).

It is risky in one way if Osgood comes back with the healthy angle, but low-risk to me in another way. I think MacDonald is more than capable of being backup (EDIT: if the need arises where he has to be called up for more than just a game or two). Minus one game against St. Louis where pretty much everybody there s**t a brick, he played very well last season for the most part, had good numbers, etc.

You could certainly make the case that goaltending depth is thin or worrysome, but I'm looking at it from the half-glass full view. Howard has proved he can play when it counts in the postseason. We all know Osgood has been loyal to the Wings/vice versa and can still play in a reduced role. MacDonald and the organization are familiar with each other. Heck, if they go the Conklin route, that worked out well the season he was here, so I'd be all for that.

I don't think the situation is as dire as could be perceived (though I certainly get the worrysome angle, it is legitmate).

EDIT: A part of me though wants Osgood to retire, for the only reason because of fans in here and in general acting like moronic lunatics towards him so they'd just shut the hell up about him finally.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Which 3 seasons? Hasek's groin injury was in 1999-00. He only played two seasons before "retiring", winning the Vezina in Buffalo in 2000-01, and then being traded to Detroit and winning the Cup in 2001-02.

What failed seasons did he have due to his groin injury having not yet healed?

And beyond that, Osgood has more time than Hasek to heal, and will not be putting as much strain on his groin during play as Hasek did.

Which 3 seasons? Hasek's groin injury was in 1999-00. He only played two seasons before "retiring", winning the Vezina in Buffalo in 2000-01, and then being traded to Detroit and winning the Cup in 2001-02.

And beyond that, Osgood has more time than Hasek to heal, and will not be putting as much strain on his groin during play as Hasek did.

I predict many responses saying Osgood isn't Hasek...

I would like to add how much better sports medicine is now then even back then. The surgeries has such higher success rates.

I think this is a fair reminder to people. Though, let us just face it, some people just hate Osgood. I never have seen a player so marginalized by opinion as Osgood. The guy could come back this year and win 82 games with 82 shutouts followed by 16 shutouts and a Stanley Cup and their would still be people who discount him for playing on a good team or some other reason.

I by no means suggest he will do anything even remotely close to that, but I do honestly think he can handle whatever load they ask of him. Including, if need be, another Stanley Cup run. Osgood has nine lives and has only used up a few of them.

Besides, they are going to sign him to a minimum contract and use the savings to make the team better at the deadline.

Hasek's SECOND groin injury (just like this is Osgood's SECOND significant groin injury) occurred in 03-04, you know, when he came back and caused the drama with CuJo? Missed most of 04, then 05, no hockey, 06 with Ottawa (the year with Ottawa was rehab in my mind AND he tweaked the groin again there too) = 3 years.

You do remember that there was hockey after 2002, right? and that he was a part of the team AGAIN from 2006-2008, right? or does that not register?

Edited by stevkrause

Hasek's SECOND groin injury (just like this is Osgood's SECOND significant groin injury) occurred in 03-04, you know, when he came back and caused the drama with CuJo? Missed most of 04, then 05, no hockey, 06 with Ottawa (the year with Ottawa was rehab in my mind) = 3 years...

You do remember that there was hockey after 2002, right? and that he was a part of the team AGAIN from 2006-2008, right? or does that not register?

Hasek missed most of 03-04. Then he played well during the lockout, no groin problems. Then in 05-06, with the Senators, he was again playing well up until the Olympics. At the Olympics, due to being unable to practice because his equipment had been left behind and therefore delayed, Hasek injured his right adductor muscle before the first game with Germany, and missed the rest of the year. He didn't have any significant groin issues after that, and his play didn't suffer due to his groin. The only "failed" season was the year in Ottawa and that was a result of playing Olympic level hockey after not having practiced in any capacity. Osgood won't be dealing with that issue.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Hasek missed most of 03-04. Then he played well during the lockout, no groin problems. Then in 05-06, with the Senators, he was again playing well up until the Olympics. At the Olympics, due to being unable to practice because his equipment had been left behind and therefore delayed, Hasek injured his right adductor muscle before the first game with Germany, and missed the rest of the year. He didn't have any significant groin issues after that, and his play didn't suffer due to his groin. The only "failed" season was the year in Ottawa and that was a result of playing Olympic level hockey after not having practiced in any capacity. Osgood won't be dealing with that issue.

Osgood's lackluster performance has been around longer than his groin issues in my opinion. I don't want to see him back, mostly because he never seems to have any drive anymore. His attitude (and performance) to me have been what he can get by with for the last 2 seasons. The groin issues (and how he's handled it) just make things worse. There's better options on the market (still), and I'd prefer we get a contender who will both push Jimmy, and take some of the workload off his shoulders.

haha, ok.

:rolleyes:

As big of an Ozzie fan I've been over the years, I think he's done. That groin injury will never go away. I voted WILDCARD B*TCHES! - Someone out of left field.

Wow, how does Barrie get a neg for this post??

I voted Wildcard too..look out little red minus button!

Wow, how does Barrie get a neg for this post??

I voted Wildcard too..look out little red minus button!

Just because someone doesn't like the fact that his opinion is Osgood is done. Instead of replying to his post and debating that they think Osgood isn't done, some narrow minded user just hits neg because they love Osgood and want him here even when he is 60. The neg button should come with an explanation requirement. You should be required to explain why you disagree with someone so much that you give them a neg...

I like Osgood too, but I also believe he is done. Does that mean I think he sucks? No. He is just too injured to be the best option at back up goalie...it's just reality.

Hudler for Nabokov....boom...make it happen Kenny!

Just because someone doesn't like the fact that his opinion is Osgood is done. Instead of replying to his post and debating that they think Osgood isn't done, some narrow minded user just hits neg because they love Osgood and want him here even when he is 60. The neg button should come with an explanation requirement. You should be required to explain why you disagree with someone so much that you give them a neg...

I like Osgood too, but I also believe he is done. Does that mean I think he sucks? No. He is just too injured to be the best option at back up goalie...it's just reality.

Signing Conklin would be better than trading for Nabokov. Trade Hudler and what, give his spot to Draper? Conner? Emmerton? I don't see how Nabokov over Conklin justifies downgrading from Hudler to one of those three.

Signing Conklin would be better than trading for Nabokov. Trade Hudler and what, give his spot to Draper? Conner? Emmerton? I don't see how Nabokov over Conklin justifies downgrading from Hudler to one of those three.

I cannot disagree, I had posted earlier (could've been another thread) that I tend to believe this team is set (minus a #2 goalie) for the start of the season (including Hudler.) Not unless Holland is REALLY looking hard for a top 6 forward (or even a top 3 forward) in a trade. I know he has $7M burning a hole in OUR pockets, but there just isn't anyone out there UFA...

I cannot disagree, I had posted earlier (could've been another thread) that I tend to believe this team is set (minus a #2 goalie) for the start of the season (including Hudler.) Not unless Holland is REALLY looking hard for a top 6 forward (or even a top 3 forward) in a trade. I know he has $7M burning a hole in OUR pockets, but there just isn't anyone out there UFA...

Wait, Kovalev is still available :ninja:

I might consider one of Samsonov, Kovalev, or Comrie via UFA for a third-line signing if Holland wants another forward, but not for more than $2m. But that signing would probably cost us Emmerton. All three have good offensive skills and good speed. Samsonov would be the best option IMHO.

Hudler/Zetterberg/Bertuzzi

Franzen/Datsyuk/Holmstrom

Samsonov/Filppula/Cleary

Mursak/Helm/Eaves

Abdelkader/Miller

Brings two pretty quick lines there, with two very solid bottom-sixers in reserve.

I might consider one of Samsonov, Kovalev, or Comrie via UFA for a third-line signing if Holland wants another forward, but not for more than $2m. But that signing would probably cost us Emmerton. All three have good offensive skills and good speed. Samsonov would be the best option IMHO.

Hudler/Zetterberg/Bertuzzi

Franzen/Datsyuk/Holmstrom

Samsonov/Filppula/Cleary

Mursak/Helm/Eaves

Abdelkader/Miller

Brings two pretty quick lines there, with two very solid bottom-sixers in reserve.

I look at your top six and I just see that we desparately need a legit top six sniper... To me (I know you love Huds) but Hudler or Bertuzzi and to an extent Holmstrom are no longer top 6... I still like the idea of putting Filppula with Datsyuk, but that is where they need that top sniper, on that line. I realize we are probably stuck with Hudler, but I would love to see a sniper along the lines of a Hossa type, but is he out there?

Filppula - Datsyuk - Sniper

Cleary - Zetterberg - Franzen

Bertuzzi - Helm - Eaves

Miller - Helm - Holmstrom

Mursak/Emmerton

I just don't know who to put in at Sniper position...gamble on Drury? Not really a sniper...Put Hudler there? He's been put with Datsyuk before and has failed as a 1st line winger on more than one occasion... I'd LOVE to get Parise somehow, but I just assume to wait to win the lottery instead...

I look at your top six and I just see that we desparately need a legit top six sniper... To me (I know you love Huds) but Hudler or Bertuzzi and to an extent Holmstrom are no longer top 6... I still like the idea of putting Filppula with Datsyuk, but that is where they need that top sniper, on that line. I realize we are probably stuck with Hudler, but I would love to see a sniper along the lines of a Hossa type, but is he out there?

Filppula - Datsyuk - Sniper

Cleary - Zetterberg - Franzen

Bertuzzi - Helm - Eaves

Miller - Helm - Holmstrom

Mursak/Emmerton

I just don't know who to put in at Sniper position...gamble on Drury? Not really a sniper...Put Hudler there? He's been put with Datsyuk before and has failed as a 1st line winger on more than one occasion... I'd LOVE to get Parise somehow, but I just assume to wait to win the lottery instead...

I think Boyes would look pretty good in that spot. Not sure if he'd be available, or what it would take to get him (Buffalo only gave up a 2nd), but I think he could get back to 30+ goals in that situation. He could fit pretty well on the 3rd line too, if he didn't produce. Zherdev could work there too, but that's more of a boom or bust move.

Flip-Pav-Boyes

Mule-Hank-Homer

Bert-Abby-Cleary

Huds-Helm-Eaves

Miller-Mursak

Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking!

Guest Crymson

I think Boyes would look pretty good in that spot. Not sure if he'd be available, or what it would take to get him (Buffalo only gave up a 2nd), but I think he could get back to 30+ goals in that situation. He could fit pretty well on the 3rd line too, if he didn't produce. Zherdev could work there too, but that's more of a boom or bust move.

Flip-Pav-Boyes

Mule-Hank-Homer

Bert-Abby-Cleary

Huds-Helm-Eaves

Miller-Mursak

The Sabres like him a lot. They just re-signed him. I can't see them trading him unless they get a good offer.