• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#41 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:51 AM

I don't see Kenny dealing with the Isles due to the way things went down, but I still wouldn't mind seeing Nabby here... maybe Hudler for Nabby and a pick? and to those who spout off, yes, Hudler is worth more than Nabby straight up, Nabby is 37, has been away from NHL hockey for over a year and had a pretty bad showing at the Worlds, so his stock isn't that high right now and Hudler is still young enough, that he could regain form... this would also help NY add salary, which they need to get to the floor...

I would rather keep Hudler, just because Nabs never was a great playoff goalie, and Garth Snow is a tool.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#42 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:55 AM

I would rather keep Hudler, just because Nabs never was a great playoff goalie, and Garth Snow is a tool.

A. He wouldn't need to be, Howard is our starter, but this is moot anyway, because:

B. Nabby has been STELLAR in the playoffs, it's the teams in front of him that haven't been... this is CuJo mentality BIG time...
Career playoff numbers:
80GP 40W 38L 2.29GAA .913SV% 7SO

I will agree on your second part though, yes, Garth Snow is a tool...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#43 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:41 AM

Would be content with Ozzie (if healthy), Nabby, and or Conklin.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#44 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

Would be content with Ozzie (if healthy), Nabby, and or Conklin.

Unfortunately for Ozzie, there isn't a way to prove he'll stay healthy. He's played in just 35 games over the past two years. I would love to have him back, but the durability doesn't appear to be there and Howard can't play 75 games and be ready for the playoffs.

#45 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:44 AM

Ozzie's durability at this stage of his career scares the crap out of me... that's literally the ONLY problem I have with him...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#46 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:03 PM

A. He wouldn't need to be, Howard is our starter, but this is moot anyway, because:

B. Nabby has been STELLAR in the playoffs, it's the teams in front of him that haven't been... this is CuJo mentality BIG time...
Career playoff numbers:
80GP 40W 38L 2.29GAA .913SV% 7SO

I will agree on your second part though, yes, Garth Snow is a tool...

A. If Howard gets hurt, then he would have to start. If he doesn't then Osgood would be just as good.

B. 40W 38L that says it all. Losses are high, he doesn't win cups.

Osgood? 129 GP 74 Wins 49 Losses 2.09 GAA .916SV% 15 Shutouts
Yeah, so the numbers don't really impress me as much.

C. Don't really want to get into any argument over Osgood, or the teams in front of both these guys.

I will be the first to say that the Sharks had a ton of really crappy under performers in the playoffs, with no clutch skills. However, the Wings have looked like that the last couple of playoffs. That is, they don't look hungry. Nabokov has been around that, so I wouldn't want to trade resources to acquire him. Sort of the way I wouldn't trade to acquire Detroit Lions. Might sign one, but never trade for it. Right Dallas?

Well, if everyone is so worried about health... Why not sign Osgood, and trade for Nabs later if he doesn't work out?

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#47 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

A. If Howard gets hurt, then he would have to start. If he doesn't then Osgood would be just as good.

B. 40W 38L that says it all. Losses are high, he doesn't win cups.

Osgood? 129 GP 74 Wins 49 Losses 2.09 GAA .916SV% 15 Shutouts
Yeah, so the numbers don't really impress me as much.

C. Don't really want to get into any argument over Osgood, or the teams in front of both these guys.

I will be the first to say that the Sharks had a ton of really crappy under performers in the playoffs, with no clutch skills. However, the Wings have looked like that the last couple of playoffs. That is, they don't look hungry. Nabokov has been around that, so I wouldn't want to trade resources to acquire him. Sort of the way I wouldn't trade to acquire Detroit Lions. Might sign one, but never trade for it. Right Dallas?

Well, if everyone is so worried about health... Why not sign Osgood, and trade for Nabs later if he doesn't work out?

Osgood's numbers are good as well... and as I've already stated, if his health wasn't as big of a concern, I'd be all for bringing him back... that's a bad example, if anything it just proves my point...

Hudler has 1 year on his deal, Nabby has one year on his deal, we need a backup, NY needs scoring and cap to hit the floor... it makes sense.

Also, this isn't the NFL, trades in the NHL are a COMPLETELY different animal, so that's a poor comparison too...

I have zero idea where you're going with this...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#48 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:24 PM

Osgood's numbers are good as well... and as I've already stated, if his health wasn't as big of a concern, I'd be all for bringing him back... that's a bad example, if anything it just proves my point...

Hudler has 1 year on his deal, Nabby has one year on his deal, we need a backup, NY needs scoring and cap to hit the floor... it makes sense.

Also, this isn't the NFL, trades in the NHL are a COMPLETELY different animal, so that's a poor comparison too...

I have zero idea where you're going with this...

not to mention nyi already have dipietro and montoya signed i believe...

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#49 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

not to mention nyi already have dipietro and montoya signed i believe...

That is correct, although DiPietro will probably be out for the season by week 2 anyway :hehe:

As I've said all along, I'm not in the Hudler hater majority and think he could still very well turn it around, he just seems like the most likely trade candidate and would fill a couple needs of NY

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#50 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

As big of an Ozzie fan I've been over the years, I think he's done. That groin injury will never go away. I voted WILDCARD B*TCHES! - Someone out of left field.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#51 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

As big of an Ozzie fan I've been over the years, I think he's done. That groin injury will never go away. I voted WILDCARD B*TCHES! - Someone out of left field.

That is my biggest concern about him as well... people seem to ignore the fact that groin injuries are no joke, even the Hasek defense doesn't work, because it took him 3 failed seasons and tons of rehab before he was back and even then, he was 80% of what he had been... needing those 3 years to heal doesn't help us THIS season... I'll pull for him like crazy if he's brought back and HOPE for the best, but it will scare the crap out of me too...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#52 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

Sounds like Osgood is going to be the guy if you read between the lines. He'll be back if the Wings want him, and it sounds like the Wings will take him if he feels he can play. And we saw this last season: Ozzie will say he can play even if he only had one leg.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#53 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

Sounds like Osgood is going to be the guy if you read between the lines. He'll be back if the Wings want him, and it sounds like the Wings will take him if he feels he can play. And we saw this last season: Ozzie will say he can play even if he only had one leg.

Ummmmmmm what? What I saw the last 2 seasons was an aging Osgood who could not find consistency.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#54 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:05 PM

Ummmmmmm what? What I saw the last 2 seasons was an aging Osgood who could not find consistency.

Who repeatedly made excuses, said he was ready when obviously not, and likely rushed his groin into surgery.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#55 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

That is my biggest concern about him as well... people seem to ignore the fact that groin injuries are no joke, even the Hasek defense doesn't work, because it took him 3 failed seasons and tons of rehab before he was back and even then, he was 80% of what he had been... needing those 3 years to heal doesn't help us THIS season... I'll pull for him like crazy if he's brought back and HOPE for the best, but it will scare the crap out of me too...

Agree. By December he'll probably be back on the IR with groin problems.

Plus I think it's a great time for Ozzie to retire. He has 3 cup rings, got his 400th win, and rebounded somewhat in 2010-11 from two shaky seasons by posting 5-3-2, 2.77, and .903 in 11 games.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#56 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:14 AM

And who could blame him? If I was a professional athlete I'd certainly want to go as long as my body can take it and I have a desire to play, win and do something that's fun and get paid to do it. Is it selfish? Yeah, but that's not necessarily a bad thing in this case. If management thinks that he is being too "selfish" to where it is a detriment to the team, they'll tell him it is time to finally move on. When Osgood was in last season, he did fine (not really the case the season before).

It is risky in one way if Osgood comes back with the healthy angle, but low-risk to me in another way. I think MacDonald is more than capable of being backup (EDIT: if the need arises where he has to be called up for more than just a game or two). Minus one game against St. Louis where pretty much everybody there s**t a brick, he played very well last season for the most part, had good numbers, etc.

You could certainly make the case that goaltending depth is thin or worrysome, but I'm looking at it from the half-glass full view. Howard has proved he can play when it counts in the postseason. We all know Osgood has been loyal to the Wings/vice versa and can still play in a reduced role. MacDonald and the organization are familiar with each other. Heck, if they go the Conklin route, that worked out well the season he was here, so I'd be all for that.

I don't think the situation is as dire as could be perceived (though I certainly get the worrysome angle, it is legitmate).

EDIT: A part of me though wants Osgood to retire, for the only reason because of fans in here and in general acting like moronic lunatics towards him so they'd just shut the hell up about him finally.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 13 July 2011 - 09:27 AM.

#57 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

Someone who's younger than anyone mentioned except Larsson:

Robert. M-f'n. Esche.

Beware the neck beard\!!!!!!!!!

#58 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

Which 3 seasons? Hasek's groin injury was in 1999-00. He only played two seasons before "retiring", winning the Vezina in Buffalo in 2000-01, and then being traded to Detroit and winning the Cup in 2001-02.

What failed seasons did he have due to his groin injury having not yet healed?

And beyond that, Osgood has more time than Hasek to heal, and will not be putting as much strain on his groin during play as Hasek did.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#59 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

Which 3 seasons? Hasek's groin injury was in 1999-00. He only played two seasons before "retiring", winning the Vezina in Buffalo in 2000-01, and then being traded to Detroit and winning the Cup in 2001-02.

And beyond that, Osgood has more time than Hasek to heal, and will not be putting as much strain on his groin during play as Hasek did.

I predict many responses saying Osgood isn't Hasek...

I would like to add how much better sports medicine is now then even back then. The surgeries has such higher success rates.

I think this is a fair reminder to people. Though, let us just face it, some people just hate Osgood. I never have seen a player so marginalized by opinion as Osgood. The guy could come back this year and win 82 games with 82 shutouts followed by 16 shutouts and a Stanley Cup and their would still be people who discount him for playing on a good team or some other reason.

I by no means suggest he will do anything even remotely close to that, but I do honestly think he can handle whatever load they ask of him. Including, if need be, another Stanley Cup run. Osgood has nine lives and has only used up a few of them.

Besides, they are going to sign him to a minimum contract and use the savings to make the team better at the deadline.

#60 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:58 PM

Hasek's SECOND groin injury (just like this is Osgood's SECOND significant groin injury) occurred in 03-04, you know, when he came back and caused the drama with CuJo? Missed most of 04, then 05, no hockey, 06 with Ottawa (the year with Ottawa was rehab in my mind AND he tweaked the groin again there too) = 3 years.

You do remember that there was hockey after 2002, right? and that he was a part of the team AGAIN from 2006-2008, right? or does that not register?

Edited by stevkrause, 13 July 2011 - 01:20 PM.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here