• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#61 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:30 PM

Hasek's SECOND groin injury (just like this is Osgood's SECOND significant groin injury) occurred in 03-04, you know, when he came back and caused the drama with CuJo? Missed most of 04, then 05, no hockey, 06 with Ottawa (the year with Ottawa was rehab in my mind) = 3 years...

You do remember that there was hockey after 2002, right? and that he was a part of the team AGAIN from 2006-2008, right? or does that not register?

Hasek missed most of 03-04. Then he played well during the lockout, no groin problems. Then in 05-06, with the Senators, he was again playing well up until the Olympics. At the Olympics, due to being unable to practice because his equipment had been left behind and therefore delayed, Hasek injured his right adductor muscle before the first game with Germany, and missed the rest of the year. He didn't have any significant groin issues after that, and his play didn't suffer due to his groin. The only "failed" season was the year in Ottawa and that was a result of playing Olympic level hockey after not having practiced in any capacity. Osgood won't be dealing with that issue.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#62 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:49 PM

Hasek missed most of 03-04. Then he played well during the lockout, no groin problems. Then in 05-06, with the Senators, he was again playing well up until the Olympics. At the Olympics, due to being unable to practice because his equipment had been left behind and therefore delayed, Hasek injured his right adductor muscle before the first game with Germany, and missed the rest of the year. He didn't have any significant groin issues after that, and his play didn't suffer due to his groin. The only "failed" season was the year in Ottawa and that was a result of playing Olympic level hockey after not having practiced in any capacity. Osgood won't be dealing with that issue.

Osgood's lackluster performance has been around longer than his groin issues in my opinion. I don't want to see him back, mostly because he never seems to have any drive anymore. His attitude (and performance) to me have been what he can get by with for the last 2 seasons. The groin issues (and how he's handled it) just make things worse. There's better options on the market (still), and I'd prefer we get a contender who will both push Jimmy, and take some of the workload off his shoulders.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#63 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:07 PM

haha, ok.

:rolleyes:

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#64 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

I am going with Manny...

...for personal reasons...BUT I still would love to obtain Nabokov somehow... Speaking of which, how come he doesn't show on the Isle's roster on capgeek? Hmmmmm.....

Edited by LeftWinger, 13 July 2011 - 05:06 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#65 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:16 AM

As big of an Ozzie fan I've been over the years, I think he's done. That groin injury will never go away. I voted WILDCARD B*TCHES! - Someone out of left field.

Wow, how does Barrie get a neg for this post??
I voted Wildcard too..look out little red minus button!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#66 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:56 AM

Wow, how does Barrie get a neg for this post??
I voted Wildcard too..look out little red minus button!

Just because someone doesn't like the fact that his opinion is Osgood is done. Instead of replying to his post and debating that they think Osgood isn't done, some narrow minded user just hits neg because they love Osgood and want him here even when he is 60. The neg button should come with an explanation requirement. You should be required to explain why you disagree with someone so much that you give them a neg...

I like Osgood too, but I also believe he is done. Does that mean I think he sucks? No. He is just too injured to be the best option at back up goalie...it's just reality.

Hudler for Nabokov....boom...make it happen Kenny!

www.thinkdunes.com

#67 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

Just because someone doesn't like the fact that his opinion is Osgood is done. Instead of replying to his post and debating that they think Osgood isn't done, some narrow minded user just hits neg because they love Osgood and want him here even when he is 60. The neg button should come with an explanation requirement. You should be required to explain why you disagree with someone so much that you give them a neg...

I like Osgood too, but I also believe he is done. Does that mean I think he sucks? No. He is just too injured to be the best option at back up goalie...it's just reality.

Signing Conklin would be better than trading for Nabokov. Trade Hudler and what, give his spot to Draper? Conner? Emmerton? I don't see how Nabokov over Conklin justifies downgrading from Hudler to one of those three.

#68 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:59 AM

Signing Conklin would be better than trading for Nabokov. Trade Hudler and what, give his spot to Draper? Conner? Emmerton? I don't see how Nabokov over Conklin justifies downgrading from Hudler to one of those three.

I cannot disagree, I had posted earlier (could've been another thread) that I tend to believe this team is set (minus a #2 goalie) for the start of the season (including Hudler.) Not unless Holland is REALLY looking hard for a top 6 forward (or even a top 3 forward) in a trade. I know he has $7M burning a hole in OUR pockets, but there just isn't anyone out there UFA...

www.thinkdunes.com

#69 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

I cannot disagree, I had posted earlier (could've been another thread) that I tend to believe this team is set (minus a #2 goalie) for the start of the season (including Hudler.) Not unless Holland is REALLY looking hard for a top 6 forward (or even a top 3 forward) in a trade. I know he has $7M burning a hole in OUR pockets, but there just isn't anyone out there UFA...

Wait, Kovalev is still available :ninja:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#70 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:14 PM

I might consider one of Samsonov, Kovalev, or Comrie via UFA for a third-line signing if Holland wants another forward, but not for more than $2m. But that signing would probably cost us Emmerton. All three have good offensive skills and good speed. Samsonov would be the best option IMHO.

Hudler/Zetterberg/Bertuzzi
Franzen/Datsyuk/Holmstrom
Samsonov/Filppula/Cleary
Mursak/Helm/Eaves
Abdelkader/Miller

Brings two pretty quick lines there, with two very solid bottom-sixers in reserve.

#71 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:27 PM

I might consider one of Samsonov, Kovalev, or Comrie via UFA for a third-line signing if Holland wants another forward, but not for more than $2m. But that signing would probably cost us Emmerton. All three have good offensive skills and good speed. Samsonov would be the best option IMHO.

Hudler/Zetterberg/Bertuzzi
Franzen/Datsyuk/Holmstrom
Samsonov/Filppula/Cleary
Mursak/Helm/Eaves
Abdelkader/Miller

Brings two pretty quick lines there, with two very solid bottom-sixers in reserve.

I look at your top six and I just see that we desparately need a legit top six sniper... To me (I know you love Huds) but Hudler or Bertuzzi and to an extent Holmstrom are no longer top 6... I still like the idea of putting Filppula with Datsyuk, but that is where they need that top sniper, on that line. I realize we are probably stuck with Hudler, but I would love to see a sniper along the lines of a Hossa type, but is he out there?

Filppula - Datsyuk - Sniper
Cleary - Zetterberg - Franzen
Bertuzzi - Helm - Eaves
Miller - Helm - Holmstrom
Mursak/Emmerton

I just don't know who to put in at Sniper position...gamble on Drury? Not really a sniper...Put Hudler there? He's been put with Datsyuk before and has failed as a 1st line winger on more than one occasion... I'd LOVE to get Parise somehow, but I just assume to wait to win the lottery instead...

www.thinkdunes.com

#72 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:22 PM

I look at your top six and I just see that we desparately need a legit top six sniper... To me (I know you love Huds) but Hudler or Bertuzzi and to an extent Holmstrom are no longer top 6... I still like the idea of putting Filppula with Datsyuk, but that is where they need that top sniper, on that line. I realize we are probably stuck with Hudler, but I would love to see a sniper along the lines of a Hossa type, but is he out there?

Filppula - Datsyuk - Sniper
Cleary - Zetterberg - Franzen
Bertuzzi - Helm - Eaves
Miller - Helm - Holmstrom
Mursak/Emmerton

I just don't know who to put in at Sniper position...gamble on Drury? Not really a sniper...Put Hudler there? He's been put with Datsyuk before and has failed as a 1st line winger on more than one occasion... I'd LOVE to get Parise somehow, but I just assume to wait to win the lottery instead...

I think Boyes would look pretty good in that spot. Not sure if he'd be available, or what it would take to get him (Buffalo only gave up a 2nd), but I think he could get back to 30+ goals in that situation. He could fit pretty well on the 3rd line too, if he didn't produce. Zherdev could work there too, but that's more of a boom or bust move.

Flip-Pav-Boyes
Mule-Hank-Homer
Bert-Abby-Cleary
Huds-Helm-Eaves
Miller-Mursak

#73 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:47 PM

Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#74 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

left field ; Steve Valiquette left his KHL team. Big goalie, 33ish i think, could be ok for cheap back up to Jimmy.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#75 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

I think Boyes would look pretty good in that spot. Not sure if he'd be available, or what it would take to get him (Buffalo only gave up a 2nd), but I think he could get back to 30+ goals in that situation. He could fit pretty well on the 3rd line too, if he didn't produce. Zherdev could work there too, but that's more of a boom or bust move.

Flip-Pav-Boyes
Mule-Hank-Homer
Bert-Abby-Cleary
Huds-Helm-Eaves
Miller-Mursak

The Sabres like him a lot. They just re-signed him. I can't see them trading him unless they get a good offer.

#76 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

This could just be my ignorance and lack of knowledge about the situation but it seems that Kenny has a lot of indecision this offseason. I am in no way saying Kenny is a bad GM, I believe he is one of the best. It just seems like with this whole backup situation and the D-man thing, there has been some indecision on his part that could have cost us with a backup or a top 4 d-man. Please enlighten me so I don't feel and sound so dumb anymore. Thanks LGW
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#77 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

This could just be my ignorance and lack of knowledge about the situation but it seems that Kenny has a lot of indecision this offseason. I am in no way saying Kenny is a bad GM, I believe he is one of the best. It just seems like with this whole backup situation and the D-man thing, there has been some indecision on his part that could have cost us with a backup or a top 4 d-man. Please enlighten me so I don't feel and sound so dumb anymore. Thanks LGW

The perceived indecision is actually calculated, responsible decision making. He made pitches to a few free agents to fill the holes, without overpaying in a weak FA class, when plan A didn't work, he went with plans B and C - The same is now happening with the goalies... there is no rush, because teams have already filled their holes and with what's left, any of the goalies he chooses are basically going to be the same thing and fill the same roll.

So far, I think we've had a fantastic off-season and I still see a trade taking place before the season begins.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#78 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:34 PM

The perceived indecision is actually calculated, responsible decision making. He made pitches to a few free agents to fill the holes, without overpaying in a weak FA class, when plan A didn't work, he went with plans B and C - The same is now happening with the goalies... there is no rush, because teams have already filled their holes and with what's left, any of the goalies he chooses are basically going to be the same thing and fill the same roll.

So far, I think we've had a fantastic off-season and I still see a trade taking place before the season begins.

I agree, and think we're also likely to keep some cash free for the trade deadline.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 18 July 2011 - 03:34 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#79 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:36 PM

There are still several decent backup goalie options available. There actually have hardly been any backup goalies signed in this offseason so far.

Holland's decision to not pursue Ehrhoff and Wizniewski was based in pragmatism. Ehrhoff got massively overpaid. Wizniewski does not like Detroit, and he got a giant payday as well.

Next offseason's UFA class will be better. Also, there's no telling what will happen to the cap once the current CBA expires. It's currently out of control; the huge rises in the cap allow every team to keep their UFAs and allow UFAs to get ridiculous contracts, and the bottomfeeders are having trouble remaining competitive at all. The salary cellar in this coming season will be higher than the salary cap in '05-'06. I can't see Bettman and Co allowing it to continue.

Edited by Crymson, 18 July 2011 - 03:37 PM.

#80 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

There are still several decent backup goalie options available. There actually have hardly been any backup goalies signed in this offseason so far.

Holland's decision to not pursue Ehrhoff and Wizniewski was based in pragmatism. Ehrhoff got massively overpaid. Wizniewski does not like Detroit, and he got a giant payday as well.

Next offseason's UFA class will be better. Also, there's no telling what will happen to the cap once the current CBA expires. It's currently out of control; the huge rises in the cap allow every team to keep their UFAs and allow UFAs to get ridiculous contracts, and the bottomfeeders are having trouble remaining competitive at all. The salary cellar in this coming season will be higher than the salary cap in '05-'06. I can't see Bettman and Co allowing it to continue.

When does the current CBA expire? I tend to agree with you on the fact that bottom feeders can't compete because they don't have the money to pay these athletes what they think they deserve.

Realistically, who could the Wings target next offseason? IMO, we have to find someone to take the leadership and skill role that Lids fils now
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army