• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

I REALLY hope that he's back as a 3rd string goalie and not as the backup. I do not feel confident with him taking over if something happens to Howard.

Long haul, playoffs and all, there's no one in our system, or on the horizon that I feel confident taking over for Howard and that includes Osgood (as I still question his health)

I still really think we may be letting one slip through the cracks by not giving Larsson a better chance, he pushed Howard for the starting gig in GR and absolutely shut it down in the SEL last year... why not give him a serious look in camp/preseason as the backup? If he doesn't work, roll with Joey Mac, or hell, even offer Osgood a contract then, I don't think he'll be signing anywhere else...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#22 maltbymaniac

maltbymaniac

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

Insurance signing - He will be the starter in GR, unless something unexpected happens where neither Osgood or Conklin fill the roll, it's a good backup plan... he gets his money, with his one way contract to play in GR and the Wings can call him up and feel confident that he is at least competent if needed.

Good deal for both sides

Money was a big factor to him, I can guarantee it's a one way deal, but he will still play in GR - the one way deal just assures him NHL money...

Correction, he didn't want to make AHL money - he's trying to secure his financial security for his family and I don't blame the guy, I don't think it was ever a pride thing for him, as much as wanting the guaranteed money...

gotcha.that makes sense

sig by saran,Thanks

#23 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

Fingers crossed that he ends up here.

Ends up where? As the backup? Are you serious?

#24 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

Helene St. James says it's a two-way deal... so he'll still be making AHL money, potentially.

http://www.freep.com...|text|FRONTPAGE

#25 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

I still really think we may be letting one slip through the cracks by not giving Larsson a better chance, he pushed Howard for the starting gig in GR and absolutely shut it down in the SEL last year...

Didn't Larsson say he didn't want to play for the Wings or something? Like there was some sort of falling out or maybe he had an attitude problem. I was pretty high on him too until I read that or something to that effect on this board.

#26 WMUsiv1

WMUsiv1

Draftee

• 14 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:17 AM

With the exception of one or 2 games last year, I thought Joey was a solid backup when called upon. I'm kind of hoping that they give Ozzie one more (please be) healthy year as a backup/mentor for Jimmy, make this a 2 way deal, and see what next year brings us. I'm sure Ozzie will be very realistic about his future, depending on how well he holds up this year.

#27 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:18 AM

I thought the same, but he's from Grand Rapids. So "here" refers to GR.

Didn't Larsson say he didn't want to play for the Wings or something? Like there was some sort of falling out or maybe he had an attitude problem. I was pretty high on him too until I read that or something to that effect on this board.

I'm pretty sure he said he didn't want to play in the AHL anymore, and would only play if he got a job out of camp with the Wings.

EDIT: In an interview with Aftonbladet he said something along the lines of: "I'm never going back to the AHL again. But I swept the carpet with Jimmy Howard during my first season over there and Chris Osgood is washed up so I will take the chance if they are willing to let me show what I can do in the NHL."

So that's where the "attitude" issues come from.

Edited by Jesusberg, 11 July 2011 - 11:20 AM.

#28 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:25 AM

He said he didn't want to play in GR anymore and you really can't blame the guy, he beat Jimmy for the starting gig in GR, yet Jimmy was in Detroit the following season and Larsson was not, then another year passed and he was still not given a chance... the guy really has nothing left to prove at the AHL level... can't blame him too much for wanting to play at the highest level, especially when he's shown that he's ready...

I thought the same, but he's from Grand Rapids. So "here" refers to GR.

I'm pretty sure he said he didn't want to play in the AHL anymore, and would only play if he got a job out of camp with the Wings.

EDIT: In an interview with Aftonbladet he said something along the lines of: "I'm never going back to the AHL again. But I swept the carpet with Jimmy Howard during my first season over there and Chris Osgood is washed up so I will take the chance if they are willing to let me show what I can do in the NHL."

So that's where the "attitude" issues come from.

ugh... I never remember seeing that comment... regardless of how he feels, you don't throw other players under the bus... is that out of context, or conjecture by the reporter? Did he actually make those statement, because if so, that doesn't sound like a guy you want on your team, regardless of talent level...

Helene St. James says it's a two-way deal... so he'll still be making AHL money, potentially.

http://www.freep.com...|text|FRONTPAGE

and there it is... even better... this is a great signing, all things considered

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#29 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

I should've been clearer. I live in Grand Rapids.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#30 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

My guess is that they are going with Ozzie. Mac is an insurance policy. I'm ok with this. If Oz doesn't work out they can trade for a back-up goalie. Mac can fill the spot until they can work out a trade. They have the cap room and back-up goalies aren't that hard to come by. By Thanksgiving, there will be teams wanting to make changes.
Do or do not. There is no try

#31 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,591 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:29 AM

I approve.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#32 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:36 AM

ugh... I never remember seeing that comment... regardless of how he feels, you don't throw other players under the bus... is that out of context, or conjecture by the reporter? Did he actually make those statement, because if so, that doesn't sound like a guy you want on your team, regardless of talent level...

The original interview is in Swedish here: http://www.aftonblad...ticle8249897.ab

A Swedish speaking member of HFboards is the one who offered the translation here: http://hfboards.com/...ad.php?t=852336

I'm guessing the guy wouldn't throw it too far out of context, but you can't be 100%. Maybe someone who speaks Swedish here can offer a more clear picture, as some people on the boards seemed to suggest that the whole "Osgood is washed up" thing wasn't as harsh as it was translated. More along the lines of "Osgood is getting up there in age". Either way, the guy comes off like he has a sense of entitlement, which could irk some people.

#33 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:42 AM

Good signing. He was steady for us when we needed him...that's all you can ask of a #3.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#34 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:43 AM

Not sure if I want to relive this saga again. Don't get me wrong, I love Ozzie and think the world of him but I think his time is up. I remember it being very painful when our 1-2-3 was Howie, Ozzie, MacDonald :( . Babcock had absolutely no confidence in Ozzie cuz he would be scored on in the first 3 minutes and the team would play tentative and play catch up hockey. So Babcock overplayed Howard and tired him out. We need a backup that can get us about 20 starts and about 12-15 wins ...

#35 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,019 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:45 AM

Good signing. If we really are going with Ozzie, he better sign for dirtcheap so we still got buttloads of cap space. I love the guy, but I'm not sold that with his injury history and age he's the best choice, but we'll see.

#NOMOREKINDL

#36 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:52 AM

FYI:

mgrossiTFP Michael Grossi
by TheFourthPeriod
Ken Holland confirms that Joey Macdonald will be the 3rd goalie. Still looking for a back up. #redwings
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#37 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:53 AM

The original interview is in Swedish here: http://www.aftonblad...ticle8249897.ab

A Swedish speaking member of HFboards is the one who offered the translation here: http://hfboards.com/...ad.php?t=852336

I'm guessing the guy wouldn't throw it too far out of context, but you can't be 100%. Maybe someone who speaks Swedish here can offer a more clear picture, as some people on the boards seemed to suggest that the whole "Osgood is washed up" thing wasn't as harsh as it was translated. More along the lines of "Osgood is getting up there in age". Either way, the guy comes off like he has a sense of entitlement, which could irk some people.

Any of our Swedish brethren here that can help? I'm really interested to hear the exact translation now, because "is getting up there in years" can easily be twisted into "washed up" and "I pushed Jimmy real hard in Grand Rapids and beat him out for the job" can easily get twisted into "washed the floor with him"

A lot can be lost in translation, so I just wonder how bad it really was...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#38 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:53 AM

What does signing MacDonald have to do with Osgood?

Osgood is done. I much rather see Ty Conklin or Bobrovsky here to actually be a viable backup (they would be pushing Jimmy to be his best, not trying to keep up).

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#39 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

Ozzie hasnt proved himself and with all the injuries not even worth the frustration. Should learn from raffi

Still would like to see conks back or a proven #2 goalie

Still glad to have him back he was a great #3

Edited by brett, 11 July 2011 - 11:55 AM.

#40 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

He said he didn't want to play in GR anymore and you really can't blame the guy, he beat Jimmy for the starting gig in GR, yet Jimmy was in Detroit the following season and Larsson was not, then another year passed and he was still not given a chance... the guy really has nothing left to prove at the AHL level... can't blame him too much for wanting to play at the highest level, especially when he's shown that he's ready...

Ahhh okay. He's older than McCollum and doing much better than him, they really should give him a shot at being the backup, at least. At 25, he's got to start getting some NHL experience.