• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jesusberg

2012-13 Realignment Leak?

Rate this topic

For all of those who want to get all of the Canadian teams together, I have your solution.

Western: Anaheim, Colorado, Dallas, Los Angeles, Nashville, Phoenix, St. Louis, San Jose

Central: Buffalo, Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, Florida, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay

Eastern: Boston, Carolina, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Washington

Canadian: Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg

Top four teams in a division make playoffs. Divisional playoffs, division champs are then seeded by regular season record.

That way, those of you who don't like watching American teams play don't have to.

For all of those who want to get all of the Canadian teams together, I have your solution.

Western: Anaheim, Colorado, Dallas, Los Angeles, Nashville, Phoenix, St. Louis, San Jose

Central: Buffalo, Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, Florida, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay

Eastern: Boston, Carolina, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Washington

Canadian: Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg

Top four teams in a division make playoffs. Divisional playoffs, division champs are then seeded by regular season record.

That way, those of you who don't like watching American teams play don't have to.

I realize you are only presenting this as an idea to keep the Canadien teams together, but that's beyond retarded. Make every division have a s***ty travel schedule besides the Eastern?

I realize you are only presenting this as an idea to keep the Canadien teams together, but that's beyond retarded. Make every division have a s***ty travel schedule besides the Eastern?

It's mostly mocking the "but the Canadian teams have to stay together!" arguments that always pop up.

The best I can think of is having uneven divisions which are set up to minimize travel.

Something like this:

Pacific: Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver

Central: Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg

Atlantic: New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Northeast: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto

Southeast: Carolina, Columbus, Florida, Tampa Bay, Washington

Obviously the Central division is kind of sprawling and would still see a lot of travel. But a setup like this makes divisions much more travel-friendly overall. Minnesota and Dallas in the Central see improvements in travel, as do most other teams around the league. Perhaps Chicago, Nashville, and St. Louis see worse travel; but that is the limit of it.

You also have of course noticed that there are five divisions. Two "western" divisions with 7 teams, and then three "eastern" divisions, two with 5 and one with 6. I didn't work out any specific schedule algorithm, but I think a setup like this would work. Seeding within conferences would work, and prevents any arguments regarding advantages of playing in a larger (or smaller) division.

Ilitch on the Wings: 'We're gonna have a new arena'

Q . I'd be remiss if I didn't ask about the Wings, with their season starting. Do you believe you have a Cup contender again?

A . The best way to analyze the Red Wings is, they're good, but I don't know how good. I'm reminded of this — in 1995, we were in the Stanley Cup Finals, playing the New Jersey Devils, and they had a system called the trap, and they hit us with it. I had a brilliant coach like Scotty Bowman, and Scotty couldn't figure it out. They were all trying to skate through it. So, what happens the next year? We adopt it in a hurry, and we win two Stanley Cups. We were bloodhounds.

There's a tendency to slither away from that, and a team's got to be reminded of it. You gotta come back and be 120 percent, really pay the price.

Q . When you talk about stars, you get big-time coaches — Scotty, Mike Babcock, Leyland.

A . I look for experience. Good makeup too. Scotty had the kind of makeup you couldn't figure out. (Laughs.)

Q . OK, once and for all, are you gonna get the Wings out of the Western Conference or not?

A . The commissioner (Gary Bettman) promised me I was next. We even had a meeting over lunch this past season, and he had all his people here, and he goes, 'Yeah, I promised Mike he'd be the next one to go in the Eastern Conference.' So I expect to be in next year. Jimmy D (Devellano) is on the phone every other week reminding them.

Q . One last topic: Any regrets about not buying the Pistons?

A . Well, that goes back to what we talked about. My instincts told me what to do, after I analyzed it all. You can cite a lot of reasons, and I don't want to get into it.

Q . Any updates on replacing Joe Louis Arena?

A . Like I've stated before, we're gonna have a new arena. That's the best thing I can say.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110930/SPORTS0104/109300378/Ilitch-on-the-Wings--‘We’re-gonna-have-a-new-arena’#ixzz1ZRSp3KnX

Neat-o!

The Wings moving East brings the rivalry with Toronto back. That's all the reason we need to want this move. It's a logical move with the Winnipeg addition anyways. Keeps Winnipeg's travel down and puts the Wings where we want to be. A rivalry possibility with the Bruins would also be a huge draw.

The Wings moving East brings the rivalry with Toronto back. That's all the reason we need to want this move. It's a logical move with the Winnipeg addition anyways. Keeps Winnipeg's travel down and puts the Wings where we want to be. A rivalry possibility with the Bruins would also be a huge draw.

5 Original Six teams in the East? I'm strangely ok with that!

Guest 13GoWings40

5 Original Six teams in the East? I'm strangely ok with that!

I'd be fine with this too, but this is where I think the problem will come. Chicago is gonna be pissed if they're left by themselves in the West, and they're good enough now where them being pissed means something. This is why I think they need to ditch the conference format all together and just have a league of 4 divisions, but as long as there is an East and West I don't see how they could get away with leaving Chicago without an O6 rival.

I don't want all O6 teams in one division, it significantly lowers the chance of those teams making the playoffs. Plus with six of the stronger teams in one division, less stronger teams will be in the playoffs. As long as Toronto/Wings are together for a good rivalry I could care less where we are. The NHL trying to set up Wings/Pens as a new rivalry was bull. Look how good the preseason famed were, both teams step it up against each other and its such a classic matchup. it's even easily marketable to casual/new fans bc blue/red is pretty easy to say "they're rivals". Yes, that's simplistic but its actually pretty standard for offset color teams to be more hyped rivals for casual fans. I would like the Bruins in a different division than the Wings to up chances of them playing in the playoffs against each other, it would be some exciting games.

The map someone posted does look extremely reasonable though. It minimizes travel while retaining good rivalries and matchups without stacking one division.

This would be awesome since I live in the Philly area....get to see the Wings more = win!

Same here, I'm Lancaster, Pa... Already have my tickets for Wings vs Flyers, Wings Vs Caps and working on wings vs isles...

As for realignment, please bring Detroit to the east!!!

My only beef would be if they move east - I'll have to drive as far as Detroit to see them play :( At least in the west, I can jump the train for a couple hours over to St. Louis, or drive out to Denver/Dallas.

But, if it means no more 9:30 starts when they're in Vancouver, Anaheim, etc.. sign us up! I'd rather spend the money to take a trip to Detroit than stay up ridiculously late throughout the whole season.

http://tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=377001

The Winnipeg Jets are content to sit and smile while NHL decision-makers work on realignment formulas.

The Jets would prefer to be shifted to the Northwest Division next season, joining Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and a geographic rival in the Minnesota Wild.

Playing more games in Canada not only has obvious rivalry benefits but has its financial advantages because it's less costly flying principally in Canada than in the U.S.

A shift to the Central Division is also a strong possibility for the Jets; with Detroit, Nashville and Columbus all eager to move east.

The Red Wings will continue to quietly campaign for a move, perhaps, seeking support from influential Eastern Conference teams like Toronto, Philadelphia and the New York Rangers to help sway the vote at the December board meetings.

Detroit, however, has offered a concession.

The Wings are willing to stay in the West, providing they travel to Western Canada once instead of twice and far West into the United States once instead of twice per season.

Eastern Conference teams don't see a need for a drastic change and all clubs remain concerned over the uncertainty of the Phoenix Coyotes and the potential for future realignment.

The perfect scenario would see the Coyotes ownership issues resolved prior to the December vote.

In any case, the Winnipeg Jets will be keen observers of the process.

I think travel-wise it makes most sense to go to 3 conferences.

Western Conference (11 teams for now).

Northwest: Wild, Jets, Canucks, Flames, and Oilers

Southwest: Stars, Avs, Coyotes, Sharks, Kings, Ducks

NorthEastern Conference (9 teams for now).

Canada Division: Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Senators, Sabres

Atlantic Division: Bruins, Islanders, Rangers, Devils, Capitals

Central Conference (10 teams).

Midwet Division: Red Wings, Blackhawks, Penguins, Flyers, Blue Jackets

Southeast Division: Blues, Panthers, Lightning, Predators, Hurricanes.

If the Coyotes move to Quebec, which I guess is a strong possibility, they simply move from Southwest Division to Canada Division, otherwise just go with unbalanced conferences. it works fine for the MLB.

For playoffs, top 2 seeds from each division play vs each other, and the winners play vs the other division series winner in the conference. Have 3 conference brackets and 1 wildcard bracket (top 4 seeds that didn't happen to be a 1 or 2 seed in their division. seed them 1-4 based on points and have 1-4, 2-3 and the winners play for a chance to go to the semis) Seed the remaining 4 teams based on regular season standings for the semi finals. I know its complicated, but every team will have similar travel and geographic rivals and most traditional rivals are in the same conference.

Honestly, for the strength of the whole league, I would prefer to see Detroit and Columbus move to the eastern time zone division(s). Columbus has good players, and their natural rival is the penguins. They should be playing in the same division with them, not the Wings. Detroit also belongs in the east. This may leave two 8 team divisions in the east, and two 7 team divisions in the west. You can't have your cake and eat it too. So do you want to be in an eight team division in the east? Or stay in the west?

As far as EJ Hradek's comments in the earlier post, I don't see how Detroit would fit into the Southeast divison. Nasvhille yes, Detroit no.

Honestly, for the strength of the whole league, I would prefer to see Detroit and Columbus move to the eastern time zone division(s). Columbus has good players, and their natural rival is the penguins. They should be playing in the same division with them, not the Wings. Detroit also belongs in the east. This may leave two 8 team divisions in the east, and two 7 team divisions in the west. You can't have your cake and eat it too. So do you want to be in an eight team division in the east? Or stay in the west?

As far as EJ Hradek's comments in the earlier post, I don't see how Detroit would fit into the Southeast divison. Nasvhille yes, Detroit no.

Remember, this is the same league that thinks Dallas is on the West coast & therefore in the Pacific division. Granted, it would make more sense to actually talk Dallas or Nashville instead of Detroit to the Southeast when it comes right down to it if all they're going to do is slide a team into that division.

Guest Shoreline

It's gonna be interesting to see what the meetings later this year come up with as far as alignment goes.

Remember, this is the same league that thinks Dallas is on the West coast & therefore in the Pacific division. Granted, it would make more sense to actually talk Dallas or Nashville instead of Detroit to the Southeast when it comes right down to it if all they're going to do is slide a team into that division.

I think they'd better putting Columbus in the Southeast versus Detroit or heck Dallas!

The league doesn't "think" Dallas is on the West coast, they just had no where to put them.