• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jesusberg

2012-13 Realignment Leak?

Rate this topic

I know I'm probably in the minority here. But I really don't want to move to the East. The West has so much better competition, and so many big and small rivalries with us, which in turn means many more exciting great Red Wings games. I really hope we stay in the West, despite the time zone issue.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings

The league doesn't "think" Dallas is on the West coast, they just had no where to put them.

Oh subtle sarcasm, why are you lost on so many people?

Don't think that a league that would stick Dallas in a division where all the other teams are 2 time zones away would hesitate putting Detroit in a division with teams in Washington DC, Raleigh, Tampa Bay, & Miami. What the NHL needs is a far-reaching, visionary realignment that addresses all of the current issues. What we'll get instead is the Board of Governors just moving one team from the West into Atlanta's old spot in the Southeast. What they should do at minimum, in my opinion, is move Nashville to the SE, Dallas to the Central, Vancouver to the Pacific, & put Winnipeg in the NW.

Edit: Before anyone points it out, yes Phoenix is only 1 time zone away from Dallas for part of the season.

Edited by ogreslayer

It's funny how folks are talking about Nashville moving east, yet it was a few years ago when Bettman was saying that Detroit is fine where it's at (despite the old rivalries) because they have developed a huge rivalry with Nashville which continues to grow..

..well, so much for that one!

I still say the best would be Detroit and Columbus move East and have a 14 and 16 team conference. Seems to work fine for MLB. Just like MLB the East could have three divisions with 5, 6, 5 teams and the West would have 5, 5, 4.

Wales Conference:

Atlantic:

Pit - Phl - Rags - NJD - Iles

Norhteast:

Det - Tor - Mtl - Buf - Ott - Bos

SouthEast:

CBJ - WAS - TPA - CAR - FLA

Campbell Conference:

Central:

NAS - CHI - STL - MIN - DAL

Northwest:

VAN - CAL - EDM - WIN

Pacific:

ANA - LAK - SAN - COL - PHX

...works for me, but of course this is the NHL, so none of that will happen.

As I've said before, I see Nashville moving to the Southeast, Minnesota moving to the Central, and Winnipeg moving to the Northwest. Then all the Western Canadian teams will be in the same division.

I like the idea of the league realigning and Detroit moving east, but I don't see it happening.

From Pierre LeBrun's chat on ESPN.com today....

Tom (Lincoln Park)

Pierre, I think the odds of Detroit going East under realignment are less than 10%. It seems like a lot of the WC teams (especially those in CA and Phoenix) need the boost in sales when they come to town, and the teams in the EC probably aren't too excited to make their conference that much more difficult. Would you agree?

Pierre LeBrun (12:48 PM)

Right now betting money is on Detroit going East. But a lot can change between now and December BOG vote

I'm greedy and I want Detroit to move east.

Even though we traditionally take a dump when we play the Leafs, I want Detroit to play them 6 times a year and allow my friends and I to put aside our differences over a glass of cold, hard facts.

Detroit>Toronto and the rest of the East. ;)

Oh subtle sarcasm, why are you lost on so many people?

Don't think that a league that would stick Dallas in a division where all the other teams are 2 time zones away would hesitate putting Detroit in a division with teams in Washington DC, Raleigh, Tampa Bay, & Miami. What the NHL needs is a far-reaching, visionary realignment that addresses all of the current issues. What we'll get instead is the Board of Governors just moving one team from the West into Atlanta's old spot in the Southeast. What they should do at minimum, in my opinion, is move Nashville to the SE, Dallas to the Central, Vancouver to the Pacific, & put Winnipeg in the NW.

Edit: Before anyone points it out, yes Phoenix is only 1 time zone away from Dallas for part of the season.

Except there was no possible way to detect sarcasm when you are making points on a subject manner. Oh subtle sarcasm, why can't people do it correctly.

During the first intermission of the radio broadcast of last night's Boston-Buffalo game, the CBC's Elliotte Friedman offered this: along with realignment, the Club Governors are looking at keeping the first two rounds of the playoffs contained in each "division", trying to re-establish the concept of "rivalries" between certain teams.

During the first intermission of the radio broadcast of last night's Boston-Buffalo game, the CBC's Elliotte Friedman offered this: along with realignment, the Club Governors are looking at keeping the first two rounds of the playoffs contained in each "division", trying to re-establish the concept of "rivalries" between certain teams.

I hate this forced rivalry stuff. It's happening in every league. Rivalries sell tickets, so apparently every game is a huge rivalry game nowadays. Playing a team 8 times a year does not create rivalries. Playing teams when it matters creates rivalries. Detroit's biggest rivalries were not with Chicago, Nashville, Columbus or St. Louis the past 5 years or so. They were with Pittsburgh, Anaheim, and San Jose. Those rivalries might intensify if the Wings go East, because each game would matter that much more.

Rivalries happen because something sparks a rivalry, not just playing each other a lot. They need to drop that idea, but since it's a business decision they won't.

Wouldn't the most logical move be swap Nashville with Winnipeg?

If you ignore the fact that Nashville will be the only team in the east in the central timezone, and therefore keep the two eastern timezone teams in a conference with all central, mountain, and pacific timezones. I think the plan is to try to get all east tomezone teams in the easy eventually....

I'm drawn on the idea of the wings moving east. Sure, I like the idea of playing the leafs more, and I do think Detroit would have an easier time out east (not that they have a hard one now). I just think it would be bittersweet to move away from our more current rivals. I know the Avs aren't what they used to be, and chicago isn't going to be as difficult with all it's cap troubles, but I do find myself enjoying how much I root against the both of them. anyone else feel similar?

I've always hated the Avs, and the Ducks for that matter, and will continue to do so even if the Wings move east. However, I think we have a good rival in Pittsburgh, and as others have said it would be fun to watch the Wings and Leafs play against each other more. Other than Chicago, we don't have any good current rivalries in the west.

So I'll ask again.

What happens if some teams (Phoenix/Nashville/Florida) relocate to Canadian cities? Will they re-align again in a few years?

There's two eight-team conferences and two seven-team conferences. I believe the prospective plans have Phoenix in one of the larger conferences, in which case it'd just be a matter of it shifting to the smaller Eastern conference.

There's two eight-team conferences and two seven-team conferences. I believe the prospective plans have Phoenix in one of the larger conferences, in which case it'd just be a matter of it shifting to the smaller Eastern conference.

I guess that makes sense.