• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

How does the Hamilton and Quebec talk affect re-alignment? There's always talk of those cities getting teams somehow.

Makes it unlikely that Detroit will move, since both cities are further east.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#62 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:22 AM

During the first intermission of the radio broadcast of last night's Boston-Buffalo game, the CBC's Elliotte Friedman offered this: along with realignment, the Club Governors are looking at keeping the first two rounds of the playoffs contained in each "division", trying to re-establish the concept of "rivalries" between certain teams.

I hate this forced rivalry stuff. It's happening in every league. Rivalries sell tickets, so apparently every game is a huge rivalry game nowadays. Playing a team 8 times a year does not create rivalries. Playing teams when it matters creates rivalries. Detroit's biggest rivalries were not with Chicago, Nashville, Columbus or St. Louis the past 5 years or so. They were with Pittsburgh, Anaheim, and San Jose. Those rivalries might intensify if the Wings go East, because each game would matter that much more.

Rivalries happen because something sparks a rivalry, not just playing each other a lot. They need to drop that idea, but since it's a business decision they won't.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#63 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:21 AM

Sportsnet.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#64 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

Wouldn't the most logical move be swap Nashville with Winnipeg?

#65 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

Wouldn't the most logical move be swap Nashville with Winnipeg?

If you ignore the fact that Nashville will be the only team in the east in the central timezone, and therefore keep the two eastern timezone teams in a conference with all central, mountain, and pacific timezones. I think the plan is to try to get all east tomezone teams in the easy eventually....

#66 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:06 AM

via Twitter:

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
There is a reasonable chance, if all goes well, that NHL realignment will be concluded by day's end.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#67 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:27 AM

I'm drawn on the idea of the wings moving east. Sure, I like the idea of playing the leafs more, and I do think Detroit would have an easier time out east (not that they have a hard one now). I just think it would be bittersweet to move away from our more current rivals. I know the Avs aren't what they used to be, and chicago isn't going to be as difficult with all it's cap troubles, but I do find myself enjoying how much I root against the both of them. anyone else feel similar?

I've always hated the Avs, and the Ducks for that matter, and will continue to do so even if the Wings move east. However, I think we have a good rival in Pittsburgh, and as others have said it would be fun to watch the Wings and Leafs play against each other more. Other than Chicago, we don't have any good current rivalries in the west.

#68 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:57 AM

Yzerman Conference: Detroit, Chicago, San Jose, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Colorado

Stephane Richer Conference: Everyone else.

Done! :thumbup:

Next?

#69 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

So I'll ask again.

What happens if some teams (Phoenix/Nashville/Florida) relocate to Canadian cities? Will they re-align again in a few years?

#70 _Kabrok_

_Kabrok_

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

So I'll ask again.

What happens if some teams (Phoenix/Nashville/Florida) relocate to Canadian cities? Will they re-align again in a few years?

There's two eight-team conferences and two seven-team conferences. I believe the prospective plans have Phoenix in one of the larger conferences, in which case it'd just be a matter of it shifting to the smaller Eastern conference.

#71 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:08 PM

There's two eight-team conferences and two seven-team conferences. I believe the prospective plans have Phoenix in one of the larger conferences, in which case it'd just be a matter of it shifting to the smaller Eastern conference.

I guess that makes sense.

#72 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,922 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:17 PM

http://www.nhl.com/i...ge.htm?id=75862

Interesting, instead of moving just one team East and offending another, they changed the entire thing around.

I don't really know if I'm strongly for or against the changes.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons