• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BostonBruinsDan1924

Bettman aiming to overhaul cap?

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

I don't like the idea of a fixed cap year to year. Times change and so does profit. If teams can't make a percentage cap, they are likely having financial issues and don't really have room to *****. Profit sharing should allow all teams a fair chance at meeting the cap. If teams overextend themselves on other expenses it's the owner's fault not the players.

That said, there are some obvious holes in the current system (like front loading, bonuses, KHL relationship, etc) that can use some work/clarification.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

The cap and floor only separated by $4-$6 Million? May as well just put all the team names in a hat, shake them up, and pick one every year to decided your champion. It'll save us a bunch of time and aggravation.

It's the floor that's the problem and Bettman's southern teams, do something about that! Give power back to the big markets and stop letting the south drag you down!

The cap and floor only separated by $4-$6 Million? May as well just put all the team names in a hat, shake them up, and pick one every year to decided your champion. It'll save us a bunch of time and aggravation.

It's the floor that's the problem and Bettman's southern teams, do something about that! Give power back to the big markets and stop letting the south drag you down!

I cannot agree more! But hey, the South has been dragging this nation down for Hundreds of years, why change now!!

Guest Shoreline

So...is he actually trying to force a labor stoppage with every new CBA? Gotta keep the streak alive?

When is the current CBA up? I better prepare for a long fall, winter, and spring.

This is ridiculous. As Barrie said, we "may as well just put all the team names in a hat, shake them up, and pick one every year to decided your champion."

It's BS that wonderful owners like Ilitch pour every dime they can into the continued success of their franchise, while a solid chunk of southern owners who don't give a s*** about the game or their teams' success get a massive undeserved boost, which becomes an enormous blow to teams like Detroit.

Also, you can wave goodbye to re-signing your young talent. Get ready for NHL player musical chairs.

Screw this if it comes true!

....and yes, get ready for another lockout.

So...is he actually trying to force a labor stoppage with every new CBA? Gotta keep the streak alive?

no kidding... what they need to do is implement a wider floor to ceiling gap, allow for the ceiling to rise X percent, without raising the floor and say that the deviation can never be by more than X percent difference between the floor and ceiling... also, limit contract lengths, fix the over 35+ loophole (sign a guy when he's 34 to a 10 year contract and he retires at year 2, poof, gone from the cap), also fix the "hiding" of contracts and make those still count, re-locate teams that are hemorrhaging money to viable markets and for the love of beer, NO MORE EXPANSION.

If there is another stoppage, I am going to lose it...

^ Bettman and Co. won't increase the floor to ceiling gap as it defeats the whole intent of what they were trying to institute with the Cap, which was to supposedly put teams on an equal playing field. What ended up actually happening was the cap grew by over 50% since its institution in 05/06, and now teams like the Red Wings and Rangers can spend closer to what they want while the bottom feeders are forced to pay bulls*** salaries (I.E. Kopecky's ridiculous Florida deal) just to hit the cap floor.

^ Bettman and Co. won't increase the floor to ceiling gap as it defeats the whole intent of what they were trying to institute with the Cap, which was to supposedly put teams on an equal playing field. What ended up actually happening was the cap grew by over 50% since its institution in 05/06, and now teams like the Red Wings and Rangers can spend closer to what they want while the bottom feeders are forced to pay bulls*** salaries (I.E. Kopecky's ridiculous Florida deal) just hit the cap floor.

I think they should have both a soft AND hard cap, do a floor, then a soft ceiling which teams can spend up to without penalty, then another ceiling, which has a hard cap on it, which, once spent past the soft cap, carries a heavy luxury tax and goes to profit sharing for the lower teams... somethings got to give, because the bigger markets shouldn't be punished for poor markets being around and weaker markets shouldn't be killed off, just because they're not AS viable, while they can still support a team... there NEEDS to be a viable solution and these jack-holes obviously can't find one...

^ To me, that makes more sense. The luxury tax system is something I've pushed for a long time given what it could do for the big market teams and how the revenue generated would aid the smaller markets.

Lastly, it pisses me off even more so because the league has obviously been more and more successful each and every year, yet Bettman and Co. want to further tinker with it so the failing teams have a better shot to win. What's even worse is that if/when those teams do win, the fans won't give a s***. The following year they'll have the same attendance woes and poor TV ratings.

It's like Bettman and Co. are chasing this dream, which they'll likely never attain and if by some miracle they do, it'll be like finally finding the end of the rainbow only to discover there was never a pot of gold there waiting for you.

^ To me, that makes more sense. The luxury tax system is something I've pushed for a long time given what it could do for the big market teams and how the revenue generated would aid the smaller markets.

Lastly, it pisses me off even more so because the league has obviously been more and more successful each and every year, yet Bettman and Co. want to further tinker with it so the failing teams have a better shot to win. What's even worse is that if/when those teams do win, the fans won't give a s***. The following year they'll have the same attendance woes and poor TV ratings.

It's like Bettman and Co. are chasing this dream, which they'll likely never attain and if by some miracle they do, it'll be like finally finding the end of the rainbow only to discover there was never a pot of gold there waiting for you.

:beerbuddy:

I'll see your Kopecky and Jovanovski and raise you a 4yr/14m Scottie Upshall contract

*Whips out the wild card: Predators take on Lebda's moronic contract*

Alright, has nothing to do with what we're talking about but worth making fun of nonetheless.

*Whips out the wild card: Predators take on Lebda's moronic contract*

Alright, has nothing to do with what we're talking about but worth making fun of nonetheless.

If it had been the Panthers that traded for Lebda, along with the moves they made, it would have been the royal flush of "What, huh, what?!!?" off-seasons...

I know wrestling is fake and all, but there is no amount of money that I wouldn't pay to see "Stone Cold" Steve Austin walk into the draft one year and give a stunner to Bettman. I would watch the youtube video of that over 1,000 times.

As has been said, it's pretty ridiculous at this point. I'm all for parity and the survival of the NHL, but they're going to take away the advantages of being a good team. Bigger market teams aren't going to be rewarded for being successful and having owners who are willing to spend. What's the point? I'm all quality drafting and getting the most out of your players, but this is getting a bit ridiculous.