Photo
- - - - -

Apparently, we were finalists for Vokoun?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:19 PM

I think after the playoffs management is probably feeling more solid about Jimmy. It's not a coincidence they took a run at Nabokov.

I doubt them taking a run at Nabokov meant much. Some players just play better in the playoffs.

#42 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:19 PM

2002? Hasek was indisputably the #1 goalie coming in that season. Osgood was put on waivers almost immediately after Hasek was traded for. The Wings never had any intention of keeping Osgood. So whom was Hasek competing with? Manny Legace?

Agree,not many goalies around the league could compete with Dom in'02 for real,but Manny could find himself a starting job elsewhere easy so it's still a healthy competition,definitely bigger then Jimmy has with Ozzie and Joey Mac atm.

Back in '02.Using one of his favorite quotes about putting the best team together,Ken waived his 'son' Osgood,to make a room for Dom.I'm wondering why he didn't pull even much lower risk move with Vokoun :unsure:

I guess I'm the only one around here who remembers Howard playing lights-out in the playoffs. We have no need for a #1; we need a good backup.

Of course you're not the only one.
I'm fine with Jimmy as a starter,but if he's gonna s*** his pants about any quality goalie backing him up,like it should be case with Nabokov then I'm scared :ph34r:

#43 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:23 PM

Agree,not many goalies around the league could compete with Dom in'02 for real,but Manny could find himself a starting job elsewhere easy so it's still a healthy competition,definitely bigger then Jimmy has with Ozzie and Joey Mac atm.

Manny was an unknown goalie at that stage. Hasek was the undisputed #1. That was almost undoubtedly a condition of the trade, hence the Wings getting rid of Osgood.

Back in '02.Using one of his favorite quotes about putting the best team together,Ken waived his 'son' Osgood,to make a room for Dom.I'm wondering why he didn't pull even much lower risk move with Vokoun :unsure:

What risk? Waiving Jimmy to get a one-year contract with a goalie who is in the twilight of his career? How's that low-risk?

#44 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

What risk? Waiving Jimmy to get a one-year contract with a goalie who is in the twilight of his career? How's that low-risk?

waiving Jimmy?Did't know I wrote that :rolleyes:

Low-risk like getting a top goalie on 1 year for cheap,without trading,waiving,giving prospects and picks

Edited by pucktividi, 13 July 2011 - 04:46 PM.

#45 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:42 PM

waiving Jimmy?Did't know I wrote that :rolleyes:

Low-risk like getting a top goalie on 1 year for cheap,without trading,waiving,giving prospects and picks

Once again: I don't doubt that Holland would have accepted him as a 1a/1b goalie. However, the guarantee of a starting position in Washington was no doubt more attractive to Vokoun than was the prospect of competing for that position in Detroit.

#46 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:53 PM

I guess I'm the only one around here who remembers Howard playing lights-out in the playoffs. We have no need for a #1; we need a good backup.

You're not. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but apparently Howard needs to be pushed, even though he's shown he's a very capable goalie and has shown strong mental growth.

#47 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:01 PM

You're not. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but apparently Howard needs to be pushed, even though he's shown he's a very capable goalie and has shown strong mental growth.

He does need to be pushed. He was great in the playoffs yes, but otherwise has shown to be streaky. Both in the NHL regular season, and even more so in the AHL. If you want someone to just fill the goal when he's out... I'm available.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#48 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:10 AM

He does need to be pushed. He was great in the playoffs yes, but otherwise has shown to be streaky. Both in the NHL regular season, and even more so in the AHL. If you want someone to just fill the goal when he's out... I'm available.

I don't think streaky is a fair assessment, at least not any more than anyone else. And I suspect that his playoff performance will go far in improving his confidence level this season.

Is it October yet?
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011