#1 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:17 PM

Congrats!

DetNews Article

"We're proud to be Americans," Holland said. "We're proud to be living in this country."

Holland's duties Tuesday taking the oath precluded him from doing any office work. But Holland still has two ticklish situations to deal with — the futures of Chris Osgood and Kris Draper.

Holland has put off talking with Osgood until they can meet this weekend in British Columbia. Osgood is flying to British Columbia on Wednesday following a golf vacation in Europe.

Edit: He also states there maybe room for Draper, though he will likely have to fight for it.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 12 July 2011 - 07:19 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#2 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

I hope Babcock never finds out. You know how much he hates Americans :ph34r:

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#3 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

I always thought that he was American

#4 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

America, F*ck yea!

#5 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:17 PM

Oh and please Osgood, you've done enough, call it a career

#6 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:04 PM

Stings a little I won't lie Kenny. I get it, and still respect the sh*t out of you, but not in that good ol' Canadian way I used to.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#7 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:27 AM

Does this make things easier with things like taxes or something? I know several Wings players have taken US citizenship - Shanahan and Holmstrom spring to mind. I can understand for someone like Homer who spends 80% of his life here for 15-20 years, is bringing up kids etc and how it must make things a lot easier, but what are the benefits for Canadians?

Edited by Nev, 13 July 2011 - 12:27 AM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#8 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:11 AM

Does this make things easier with things like taxes or something? I know several Wings players have taken US citizenship - Shanahan and Holmstrom spring to mind. I can understand for someone like Homer who spends 80% of his life here for 15-20 years, is bringing up kids etc and how it must make things a lot easier, but what are the benefits for Canadians?

You can vote and you have the legal protections abroad of the US Consulate.

#9 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:17 AM

It likely makes things easier for his child too. Jobs and colleges may be harder to get into as a resident alien.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#10 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:30 AM

It's more for family and also having civil liberties like getting to vote and whatnot

#11 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,388 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:38 AM

Stings a little I won't lie Kenny. I get it, and still respect the sh*t out of you, but not in that good ol' Canadian way I used to.

I'm really not sure why you're acting like part of Holland's ceremony involved burning a Canadian flag.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#12 sandyeggo wingnut

sandyeggo wingnut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:53 AM

I'm really not sure why you're acting like part of Holland's ceremony involved burning a Canadian flag.

Maybe not that far but if memory serves, when you take the US oath you must renounce your former country's citizenship. I am not sure Canada recognizes this renunciation. Some countries, like Poland IIRC, don't recognize it and require a person to travel to that country under the original passport.

#13 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:42 AM

It's more for family and also having civil liberties like getting to vote and whatnot

He's said he's always wanted to be part of a jury in Michigan.

#actuallyno
#notlikeitmakesadifferencetohisjobwhereheisacitizen

#14 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:50 AM

I was joking in my good ol' Canadian way Posted Image
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#15 CupCrazy22

CupCrazy22

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:02 AM

Maybe not that far but if memory serves, when you take the US oath you must renounce your former country's citizenship. I am not sure Canada recognizes this renunciation. Some countries, like Poland IIRC, don't recognize it and require a person to travel to that country under the original passport.

Nope, you can have dual.

Holland will still be Canadian, too, with dual citizenship

Free Press

#16 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:51 AM

Bandwagoner <_<

...jk

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#17 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,102 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

Bet some LGW folks were threatening to call INS if he didn't land a big name FA this summer, therefore he was forced into becoming a citizen.

Edited by Rivalred, 13 July 2011 - 10:54 AM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#18 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

Holland will still be Canadian, too, with dual citizenship

Bandwagoner <_<
...jk

More like...Bartleby <_<

:lol:
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#19 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:56 PM

Congrats, Kenny, on becoming a citizen of the Master Country.

#20 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:11 PM

Some countries you can have dual citizenship. I'm pretty sure Poland does, or at least did for a promotional period back around 2008 or so when they were trying to lure people with Polish ancestry back.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.