No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest CaliWingsNut

Holland becomes US citizen

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

Congrats!

DetNews Article

"We're proud to be Americans," Holland said. "We're proud to be living in this country."

Holland's duties Tuesday taking the oath precluded him from doing any office work. But Holland still has two ticklish situations to deal with — the futures of Chris Osgood and Kris Draper.

Holland has put off talking with Osgood until they can meet this weekend in British Columbia. Osgood is flying to British Columbia on Wednesday following a golf vacation in Europe.

Edit: He also states there maybe room for Draper, though he will likely have to fight for it.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Does this make things easier with things like taxes or something? I know several Wings players have taken US citizenship - Shanahan and Holmstrom spring to mind. I can understand for someone like Homer who spends 80% of his life here for 15-20 years, is bringing up kids etc and how it must make things a lot easier, but what are the benefits for Canadians?

Edited by Nev

Does this make things easier with things like taxes or something? I know several Wings players have taken US citizenship - Shanahan and Holmstrom spring to mind. I can understand for someone like Homer who spends 80% of his life here for 15-20 years, is bringing up kids etc and how it must make things a lot easier, but what are the benefits for Canadians?

You can vote and you have the legal protections abroad of the US Consulate.

Guest CaliWingsNut

It likely makes things easier for his child too. Jobs and colleges may be harder to get into as a resident alien.

I'm really not sure why you're acting like part of Holland's ceremony involved burning a Canadian flag.

Maybe not that far but if memory serves, when you take the US oath you must renounce your former country's citizenship. I am not sure Canada recognizes this renunciation. Some countries, like Poland IIRC, don't recognize it and require a person to travel to that country under the original passport.

Maybe not that far but if memory serves, when you take the US oath you must renounce your former country's citizenship. I am not sure Canada recognizes this renunciation. Some countries, like Poland IIRC, don't recognize it and require a person to travel to that country under the original passport.

Nope, you can have dual.

Holland will still be Canadian, too, with dual citizenship

Free Press

Some countries you can have dual citizenship. I'm pretty sure Poland does, or at least did for a promotional period back around 2008 or so when they were trying to lure people with Polish ancestry back.

Guest Shoreline

Someone mentioned legal protections abroad, but also the lack of hassle when traveling back and forth, which is becoming more prominent along the most traveled "landing" areas. He and his family travel and it would be nice to hand over a US passport instead of a Canadian one with PR papers.

I'm a US citizen already in process to be a Canadian PR (first stage approval), within 3 years will be a dual citizen. My daughter will be a Canadian citizen before me. Whenever traveling back into Canada, until I get my citizenship, I have to show a US passport plus PR papers and have to deal with the hassle of this at the border, especially if I don't travel with my wife who is a Canadian citizen. If you think the hassle is bad this way, it's worse the other. My wife has been held up three times at the US border for four hours or more. <.<

Edited by Shoreline

Just in time to help out with the debt situation. Make a trade with China for "future considerations" :cool: Kenny can do it!

Why not? We'll give them the money other nations owe us, the losing presidential candidates for the next 5 elections, Hudler, Justin Beiber, and "future considerations".

What the heck. Let's give them ALL of the presidential candidates!

Get'er done, Kenny! :thumbup:

I consider myself a dual citizen (even though it's not "official" <_< )...I love hockey, Tim Hortons are yummy, Molson is pretty good brew, I prefer CBC/TSN/Rogers (although Ken and Mickey are good lads), I know the Canadian national anthem by heart, Harper is the PM, and I speak "Canadian" fluently - eh?

You about summed it up right there, that's hilarious laugh.gif +1!

Why not? We'll give them the money other nations owe us, the losing presidential candidates for the next 5 elections, Hudler, Justin Beiber, and "future considerations".

What the heck. Let's give them ALL of the presidential candidates!

Get'er done, Kenny! :thumbup:

Hmmm.... It seems that none of our creditor nations are interested in Jiri Hudler, not even for some free checks...

Oh well, guess I have to go back to hoping he can be packaged in a deal for Weber or maybe some debt relief. Maybe if we throw in Hawaii and Alaska plus a first round pick, we can get 100 Trillion forgiven. :P

I can see it now, Eva is going to say that Jiri Hudler will become a weapon of mass destruction for China and they will score even more points.

I am also assuming points are scored in China via how many people you have, not so much assists... <_<