• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

Still some noise about Wings picking up a top 4 Dman

Rate this topic

I think with that much cap space its pretty obvious that Holland is lookng around for a trade.

Anyone saying the wings d is set and fine with White replacing Rafalski... Yeah sure it might be solid, but why not add another top 4 and turn it into one of the top defenses in the league with how shady the wings d has been?

Yeah its a good defense, but nothing that special really. Another guy of Whites calibre even to make the team deeper would make a huge difference

Looking for a trade and getting one are two different things. I'm sure Holland IS looking for more players, but he's not getting his hopes up and we shouldn't either. This story this summer has been the Wings getting rejected for trades and FA signings. I don't see this changing.

I think with that much cap space its pretty obvious that Holland is lookng around for a trade.

Anyone saying the wings d is set and fine with White replacing Rafalski... Yeah sure it might be solid, but why not add another top 4 and turn it into one of the top defenses in the league with how shady the wings d has been?

Yeah its a good defense, but nothing that special really. Another guy of Whites calibre even to make the team deeper would make a huge difference

So trade away kindl in the process. Everybody complains about youth and were going to trade away what could be a decent (not amazing) defenseman. Let Kronwall take the number 2 spot. He earned it and let white and Stuart make the 3/4 with Ericsson as the optional top 4 guy as holland has been saying. According to Holland we currently have 5 top 4 defenseman

I dunno why Fil keeps getting thrown in the 'potential trade bait' pile... Holland and Babcock have never once even remotely implied that Fil could be traded. According to pretty much every account, they're happy with him.

There were some rumors/speculation that Filppula was available in a trade at the draft. It makes sense because he's really the only player we have who has value and we would possibly trade. Who else would we trade?

Lidstrom-no

Datsyuk-no

Zetterberg-no

Homer-no

Franzen-very unlikely. We lack scoring wingers and his contract hurts his value.

Hudler-possibly, but wouldn't get much in return

Bertuzzi-no

Cleary-no

Helm-no

Abdelkader-unlikely. Not too valuable anyways

Eaves-no

Miller-no

Kronwall-no

Stuart-no

Ericsson-unlikely. I don't think Kenny would sign and trade plus his contract hurts his value

White-no

Commie-no

Kindl-possibly, but would have to be packaged (probably with Filppula) to get anything good in return

Howard-no

I dunno why Fil keeps getting thrown in the 'potential trade bait' pile... Holland and Babcock have never once even remotely implied that Fil could be traded. According to pretty much every account, they're happy with him.

I think Everyone just knows that if there is a big trade to be had, that would most likely be the piece that Holland would be willing to trade that would hurt the least out of the MAJOR players in our organization. I think it would hurt way too much though..l I doubt a Fil trade will happen unless we get a clearly better player. I.E. That won't happen.

Holland will trade picks though... Things will make sense the later in the season it goes.

I also really believe that we won't make a big deal until we know what we have in Commodore, White, and E. You don't sign and trade, but you do trade a signee at the deadline no prob.

So trade away kindl in the process. Everybody complains about youth and were going to trade away what could be a decent (not amazing) defenseman. Let Kronwall take the number 2 spot. He earned it and let white and Stuart make the 3/4 with Ericsson as the optional top 4 guy as holland has been saying. According to Holland we currently have 5 top 4 defenseman

We have d in the pipeline that can be decent. Kindl would suck to lose, but not if we get back something to help us win now.

Consider the perspective of other teams. Who would you actually want on the Red Wings that you could afford?

We should forget about using the cash this season. Next off-season sign Tim Gleason to a 5 year deal, a top 6 forward and then we are set! :thumbup:

Tim Gleason :blink:

I do think that it is entirely possible that this is what he is going to do. Again having read EVERYTHING on this, it is more about the concept that Holland is still trying to save cap space like he expects to use it THIS YEAR.

That doesn't mean he does use it, but he is definitely kicking tires and keeping an ear to the ground.

The Weber angle is just stapling Three rumors together.

Apparently Weber LOVED playing with Lidstrom almost as much as Lids loved playing with Weber.

Two, Weber is mad about the arbitration rights/intrigued about becoming a UFA and wants a short term contract which might be a sly way of saying get me out of town.

Three, Holland is looking to make the team better and is saving money to do so in a peculiar manner.

It adds up to nothing but a bigger rumor.

It also could signify that Hudler has got to go and this is what he wants the most in return.

Yes, Tim Gleason. He is a very, very good defenceman.

I got to sit behind his family when the canes came to the Joe this year. They were some pretty cool people, super nice. Dont really know much about him though...

I posted something about this the other day and there's a couple defensemen I think we should take a chance on.

Bryan McCabe: Yeah, he's 36, but he's a good puck moving defenseman with a physical edge and would be a great fit on the second pairing. He could play the PP as well.

Scott Hannan: Good shutdown defenseman, would really improve our PK. As of right now, unless these new coaches have some great ideas on fixing our penalty killing, this is a weakness that hasn't been addressed and has been killing us for several years now.

I would feel much more comfortable getting one of these two guys and put our "Commodore 64" in the press box for most games. He's fine as a 7th defenseman, but I don't want him in the starting lineup on opening day. We had lots of injuries on D the past couple years and Commodore has been very injury prone the past two seasons. If he and another defenseman go down, we're looking at a Kindl-Smith third pairing and most likely increased minutes for Lidstrom, Kronwall and Stuart, which is bad since ideally we would like to have them be fresh for the postseason. Not to mention, what happens if, God forbid, Ericsson takes a step back or doesn't get what the new coaches are teaching him? We have the cap space, why not add one of these guys that would fit in and/or address a need? I don't think we should be giving them a lot, no need to overspend on defensemen that are still out there after two weeks, but like the whole situation with the back up goalie, we shouldn't be one injury or two injuries away from having our whole season get shot down.

Edited by xtrememachine1

Didn't Shea Weber announce post elimination that his heart stands in Nashville and he was looking for a long-term deal with the franchise during the offseason?

I thought I heard that as well. Usually if a guy wants out he'll say something like, "Well ideally I'd like to come back, so we'll see. There are a lot of options on the market. But I'd love to stay here."

Getting back to the actual spending, my gut feeling tells me that Holland is going to keep this space because of A) the stronger crop of free agents next season and B) he might be a bit worried with what Bettman does to the cap next season with the possible CBA overhaul.

If he lands a big forward/defender this offseason, then I'll be pretty shocked. At this point it kind of feels like he's just being cautious considering everything that's coming up next season. Could see a lot of other teams scrambling.

Getting back to the actual spending, my gut feeling tells me that Holland is going to keep this space because of A) the stronger crop of free agents next season and B) he might be a bit worried with what Bettman does to the cap next season with the possible CBA overhaul.

I don't see Holland doing much of anything with the cap space left due to those very reasons. If something happens on the trade front, I think it will happen closer to the trade deadline next year. And I think if a trade does happen at any point, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Wing's "over ripe" prospects like Mursak would be included.

I posted something about this the other day and there's a couple defensemen I think we should take a chance on.

Bryan McCabe: Yeah, he's 36, but he's a good puck moving defenseman with a physical edge and would be a great fit on the second pairing. He could play the PP as well.

Scott Hannan: Good shutdown defenseman, would really improve our PK. As of right now, unless these new coaches have some great ideas on fixing our penalty killing, this is a weakness that hasn't been addressed and has been killing us for several years now.

I would feel much more comfortable getting one of these two guys and put our "Commodore 64" in the press box for most games. He's fine as a 7th defenseman, but I don't want him in the starting lineup on opening day. We had lots of injuries on D the past couple years and Commodore has been very injury prone the past two seasons. If he and another defenseman go down, we're looking at a Kindl-Smith third pairing and most likely increased minutes for Lidstrom, Kronwall and Stuart, which is bad since ideally we would like to have them be fresh for the postseason. Not to mention, what happens if, God forbid, Ericsson takes a step back or doesn't get what the new coaches are teaching him? We have the cap space, why not add one of these guys that would fit in and/or address a need? I don't think we should be giving them a lot, no need to overspend on defensemen that are still out there after two weeks, but like the whole situation with the back up goalie, we shouldn't be one injury or two injuries away from having our whole season get shot down.

We may have the cap space, but we don't have the roster space. We'd need to give someone up to get one of those guys. The only real options would be Kindl or Emmerton.

If I was giving up Kindl, I'd want something better than McCabe or Hannan. I wouldn't mind giving up Emmy, though I think that would work better in combination with another deal to give us another center.

Yeah because noone said trade for a 40 year old. If Kindl is traded for someone who is 26 and already established in the league as a defender, theres hardly any difference and it helps the chances of winning now.

People need to realize that you have to give to get in trades and Kindl hasnt shown anything to say he will be anything special

Yes, Tim Gleason. He is a very, very good defenceman.

Agree he is good, but I don't ever think of him in terms of a solution. I don't even think you can throw a very in front of good in that statement.

At least I don't think you put him on your wish list before a Weber or Suter.

Didn't Shea Weber announce post elimination that his heart stands in Nashville and he was looking for a long-term deal with the franchise during the offseason?

At your job, would you announce publically that you hate it there and want to leave BEFORE you found a new job??? No, you don't burn bridges. I also think that he would stay there for his career if the team is going to compete.

Something is going on though, because he could have had a deal signed by now. He also seemed to go quiet after the Arbitration rights were claimed... All of a sudden he was looking to see his fair market value first, talks of a short term contract were announced.

It does not mean he wants out, but it could. Just as saying he wants to stay in Nashville MIGHT mean that he does. Just remember that strange things do happen.

Again, I want to make it clear that by no means do I think it will happen. It just remains a possibility until he signs a long term contract. We should know more after August 2nd. I also believe Holland won't do anything until after that point as well.

That would be like buying an iPad when the iPad5 comes out in a month... best to just make sure.