• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:21 AM

Yes, Tim Gleason. He is a very, very good defenceman.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#42 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:30 AM

I got to sit behind his family when the canes came to the Joe this year. They were some pretty cool people, super nice. Dont really know much about him though...
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#43 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:42 AM

I posted something about this the other day and there's a couple defensemen I think we should take a chance on.

Bryan McCabe: Yeah, he's 36, but he's a good puck moving defenseman with a physical edge and would be a great fit on the second pairing. He could play the PP as well.

Scott Hannan: Good shutdown defenseman, would really improve our PK. As of right now, unless these new coaches have some great ideas on fixing our penalty killing, this is a weakness that hasn't been addressed and has been killing us for several years now.

I would feel much more comfortable getting one of these two guys and put our "Commodore 64" in the press box for most games. He's fine as a 7th defenseman, but I don't want him in the starting lineup on opening day. We had lots of injuries on D the past couple years and Commodore has been very injury prone the past two seasons. If he and another defenseman go down, we're looking at a Kindl-Smith third pairing and most likely increased minutes for Lidstrom, Kronwall and Stuart, which is bad since ideally we would like to have them be fresh for the postseason. Not to mention, what happens if, God forbid, Ericsson takes a step back or doesn't get what the new coaches are teaching him? We have the cap space, why not add one of these guys that would fit in and/or address a need? I don't think we should be giving them a lot, no need to overspend on defensemen that are still out there after two weeks, but like the whole situation with the back up goalie, we shouldn't be one injury or two injuries away from having our whole season get shot down.

Edited by xtrememachine1, 14 July 2011 - 07:48 AM.

#44 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

Didn't Shea Weber announce post elimination that his heart stands in Nashville and he was looking for a long-term deal with the franchise during the offseason?

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#45 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:26 AM

Didn't Shea Weber announce post elimination that his heart stands in Nashville and he was looking for a long-term deal with the franchise during the offseason?

I thought I heard that as well. Usually if a guy wants out he'll say something like, "Well ideally I'd like to come back, so we'll see. There are a lot of options on the market. But I'd love to stay here."

Getting back to the actual spending, my gut feeling tells me that Holland is going to keep this space because of A) the stronger crop of free agents next season and B) he might be a bit worried with what Bettman does to the cap next season with the possible CBA overhaul.

If he lands a big forward/defender this offseason, then I'll be pretty shocked. At this point it kind of feels like he's just being cautious considering everything that's coming up next season. Could see a lot of other teams scrambling.

#46 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:44 AM

Getting back to the actual spending, my gut feeling tells me that Holland is going to keep this space because of A) the stronger crop of free agents next season and B) he might be a bit worried with what Bettman does to the cap next season with the possible CBA overhaul.

I don't see Holland doing much of anything with the cap space left due to those very reasons. If something happens on the trade front, I think it will happen closer to the trade deadline next year. And I think if a trade does happen at any point, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Wing's "over ripe" prospects like Mursak would be included.

#47 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:46 AM

I posted something about this the other day and there's a couple defensemen I think we should take a chance on.

Bryan McCabe: Yeah, he's 36, but he's a good puck moving defenseman with a physical edge and would be a great fit on the second pairing. He could play the PP as well.

Scott Hannan: Good shutdown defenseman, would really improve our PK. As of right now, unless these new coaches have some great ideas on fixing our penalty killing, this is a weakness that hasn't been addressed and has been killing us for several years now.

I would feel much more comfortable getting one of these two guys and put our "Commodore 64" in the press box for most games. He's fine as a 7th defenseman, but I don't want him in the starting lineup on opening day. We had lots of injuries on D the past couple years and Commodore has been very injury prone the past two seasons. If he and another defenseman go down, we're looking at a Kindl-Smith third pairing and most likely increased minutes for Lidstrom, Kronwall and Stuart, which is bad since ideally we would like to have them be fresh for the postseason. Not to mention, what happens if, God forbid, Ericsson takes a step back or doesn't get what the new coaches are teaching him? We have the cap space, why not add one of these guys that would fit in and/or address a need? I don't think we should be giving them a lot, no need to overspend on defensemen that are still out there after two weeks, but like the whole situation with the back up goalie, we shouldn't be one injury or two injuries away from having our whole season get shot down.

We may have the cap space, but we don't have the roster space. We'd need to give someone up to get one of those guys. The only real options would be Kindl or Emmerton.

If I was giving up Kindl, I'd want something better than McCabe or Hannan. I wouldn't mind giving up Emmy, though I think that would work better in combination with another deal to give us another center.

#48 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:50 AM

So trade away kindl in the process. Everybody complains about youth and were going to trade away what could be a decent (not amazing) defenseman. Let Kronwall take the number 2 spot. He earned it and let white and Stuart make the 3/4 with Ericsson as the optional top 4 guy as holland has been saying. According to Holland we currently have 5 top 4 defenseman

Yeah because noone said trade for a 40 year old. If Kindl is traded for someone who is 26 and already established in the league as a defender, theres hardly any difference and it helps the chances of winning now.

People need to realize that you have to give to get in trades and Kindl hasnt shown anything to say he will be anything special

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#49 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

Agree he is good, but I don't ever think of him in terms of a solution. I don't even think you can throw a very in front of good in that statement.

At least I don't think you put him on your wish list before a Weber or Suter.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#50 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:04 AM

At your job, would you announce publically that you hate it there and want to leave BEFORE you found a new job??? No, you don't burn bridges. I also think that he would stay there for his career if the team is going to compete.

Something is going on though, because he could have had a deal signed by now. He also seemed to go quiet after the Arbitration rights were claimed... All of a sudden he was looking to see his fair market value first, talks of a short term contract were announced.

It does not mean he wants out, but it could. Just as saying he wants to stay in Nashville MIGHT mean that he does. Just remember that strange things do happen.

Again, I want to make it clear that by no means do I think it will happen. It just remains a possibility until he signs a long term contract. We should know more after August 2nd. I also believe Holland won't do anything until after that point as well.

That would be like buying an iPad when the iPad5 comes out in a month... best to just make sure.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#51 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:47 AM

Maybe Shea Weber will pull a "Hulk Hogan to the NWO" move, and join the Wings.

:D
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#52 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

if ANYTHING happens it will be up front, Holland did not give Commie a million dollars to sit up in the press box! Holland could've just given Kindl the 6th spot and let Janik sit up in the press box for a smaller cap hit. Commie is your #6, get used to it. Everyone in the organization says Smith is ready, doesn't mean he is gonna be here, but that makes Kindl and Janik the expendable ones on D in a trade scenario along with Hudler and unfortunately Filppula and/or Emmerton/Mursak up front in a trade scenario. The D is set even if Kindl and/or Janik get traded. Say what you will, but any combination of the six mentioned players would bring us a very good top 6 forward in return and that would make this team even better...

...concerning next year, I am pretty sure whomever Holland acquires, this will be the last year of his contract, for I do believe Holland wants to have as much cap as possible to acquire Lidstrom's eventual replacement.

Edited by LeftWinger, 14 July 2011 - 11:50 AM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#53 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

That would be so awesome. I used to always imagine that if hockey was like wrestling, a player would fire a puck into his own net in a tied playoff game - removing his jersey to reveal the opponent's sweater.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#54 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

if ANYTHING happens it will be up front, Holland did not give Commie a million dollars to sit up in the press box! Holland could've just given Kindl the 6th spot and let Janik sit up in the press box for a smaller cap hit. Commie is your #6, get used to it.

Draper was making over a mil last year and was in the pressbox quite a bit. Hudler and Ericsson were healthy scratches last year and were making well over a $1 mil. Commodore is an injury prone, -17 defenseman over the past couple years and was waived by the friggin Blue Jackets. He'll be adequate stepping in as a number 6 defenseman in the event of an injury, but I don't feel like Commodore is a solution to our defensive problems. "Getting used to" Commodore being a 6th defenseman is like saying "get used to getting knocked out of the second round again". Better options are available and unless these defenseman want too much, there's no reason not to go with one of them.

#55 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:07 PM

OK, so I'm like a kid with her nose pressed to the window of a candy store, still wishing and hoping the Wings can acquire Weber. Because it sounds like some of you here whom I trust for your opinions think there's still a chance.

:lookaround:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#56 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:24 PM

That would be so awesome. I used to always imagine that if hockey was like wrestling, a player would fire a puck into his own net in a tied playoff game - removing his jersey to reveal the opponent's sweater.

How is that worth a -1?! C'MON

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP_9zH9Q44o

#57 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

You're -3 now Travis for that. It's like you're Christian Ehrhoff on a SCF game.

#58 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,062 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:55 PM

If we're going NWO, then hopefully he brings Scott Hall (Ryan Suter) and Kevin Nash (Pekke Rinne) with him :hehe:

#NOMOREKINDL

#59 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:58 PM

You're -3 now Travis for that. It's like you're Christian Ehrhoff on a SCF game.

Right?! Man, I really blew that.

#60 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:14 PM

If we're going NWO, then hopefully he brings Scott Hall (Ryan Suter) and Kevin Nash (Pekke Rinne) with him :hehe:

You literally stole the words right out of my mouth. No joke, I was going to say the exact same thing. It's funny though because before adding Rinne into the joke I sat here trying to think of any Nashville forward good enough or worthwhile for the Wings to call Nash and since they have s*** for forwards Rinne won out. Rinne is awesome but we're set with Howard.

Now that was worth a +1.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca