• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Chris Osgood announces retirement

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

This is per the official (organization-run) Red Wings Facebook news page and the Red Wings txt news service.

I see retirement coming.

Edit: It's actually at noon and it's only a conference call. Can a mod change the title, please?

This is per the official (organization-run) Red Wings Facebook news page and the Red Wings txt news service.

I see retirement coming.

I just seen that on Facebook as well. I thought the exact same thing. That Osgood is going to hang em' up.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Please let this be a retirement...

Not trying to be disrespectful if it is, but nothing scares me more about the upcoming season than Osgood being our backup.

If it is, he's had an amazing career. I've been happy to have him as a wing so many years and championships.

I see retirement coming.

It's a media conf call (http://www.kuklaskorner.com), not a press conference... I think the complete opposite, I think they're announcing he's coming back for a year, if it were an actual presser, I would think retirement too, but a conf call usually means a contract signing... love it or hate it, it is what it is

Edited by stevkrause

Guest Crymson

It's a media conf call (http://www.kuklaskorner.com), not a press conference... I think the complete opposite, I think they're announcing he's coming back for a year, if it were an actual presser, I would think retirement too, but a conf call usually means a contract signing... love it or hate it, it is what it is

Ah, crap. You're right. My bad.

I don't think they'd hold a press conference to announce his return. Even Lidstrom only held a conference call.

I couldn't agree more. I just can't see them holding a conference to announce he's going to return. He's had a great career and my favorite Wings goalie for a long time but it's time for him to go. But I'll wait for the official word tomorrow.

Edited by Dimaline312000

He has to be coming back. A player with the history he has with this club, three Stanley Cups, does NOT retire via a conference call with the media. They'd do an actual press conference in the Olympia Room in the same manner as Brian Rafalski, who has a much less storied history with the franchise.

You re-sign for 1-year at a bargain-basement salary with incentives via a media conference call.

Too bad for us.

If we win one more game in '09, the Cup would be ours and the Conn Smythe would likely go to Chris Osgood.

That was just two years ago. It's not ancient history.

In the playoffs, I think Ozzie still has it in him to step up to the occasion if called upon. This is because he's done it before not that long ago. Could you say the same about Ray Emery or Ty Conklin?

Edited by Nevermind

He'll come back, in my opinion, for one more year. I was thinking he had his last showing in '08...but knowing what he had played through in '09 and tried to play it off as nothing going into last season (his injuries could have really messed his game up) I wouldn't be to suprised if he challenges Howie for the number one spot this year. Lets hope, if he does sign one more year, that he is 100% healthly. I have no doubts the man can play '08 calibur goaltending if he's healthy. We'll see.

Injuries can really mess with a goalie, 'specially the hip area...not to mention groin area at the same time? Career ending injuries at this point...realistically. I'm pulling for the guy, though!

EDIT: Although I think switching to butterfly style helped his game short-term...in the long run I really think it took it's toll. Going from a true stand-up style to butterfly in the course of 1 year is what probably caused his hip injuries. The groin issues, though...well...we know he has had issues with that his whole career.

Edited by Dynheart

Guest Crymson

If we win one more game in '09, the Cup would be ours and the Conn Smythe would likely go to Chris Osgood.

In the playoffs, I think Ozzie still has it in him to step up to the occasion if called upon. This is because he's done it before not that long ago. Could you say the same about Ray Emery or Ty Conklin?

He was great in the playoffs. He couldn't stop a beachball in the regular season.

I agree. Ozzie would get an actual press conference if it was retirement. It is definitely that he is coming back.

Good point. Everyone's memory I guess is fuzzy. If the refs didn't hand them a game early in the series they would have won and we would have a different tone in these threads.

Before anyone denies that and says he would still be encourage to retire because of injury, ask yourself if you ever thought that about Yzerman?

Anyone who thinks Ozzie sucks is clearly delusional. At the same time, anyone that isn't even the slightest bit concerned for stability at the number 2 spot given his health concerns is no different.

Yep. I'm pretty indifferent about it considering we've got Macdonald, but I'm honestly still surprised. I think Osgood is still capable of playing well if he can stay healthy, but we'll see. If Holland is comfortable with it, I'm comfortable. They wouldn't bring him back for charity.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I just wish he would go out and win the vezina and shut up everyone who says he sucks haha.

How's he going to win the vezina without a single shutout in 2 years?

If he stays 100% healthy this year, I think we will see another '08 duel in net. Healthy competition never hurts, especially in pro sports. It will just make the other goalie hungrier. And who knows, maybe that will trickle down to the skaters.

I just wish he would go out and win the vezina and shut up everyone who says he sucks haha.

He would have to paint Babcocks house or something in order to get even a game to get going...

Maybe a muffin basket would get him some starts?

A different note, I really think this move suggest that we are going to make a pretty big deal to bring on some more salary at some point during the season.

There is no reason to save money when you already have 6 million extra unless you are planning to trade for someone making more than 6 million dollars...

Semin or... hahaha good thing we have several threads already devoted to this! :lol:

And let's be straight, in the context of their careers, a healthy Osgood is a MUCH better option than anyone else on the market. Conklin had a good year with the Wings. He's had lousy years since. And we're talking about a career backup with an isolated good year verses a 400-win, 3-time Stanley Cup champion. If he's healthy, this will be a great move. If he can't stay healthy, it won't be the end of the world at all because Macdonald isn't the worst 3rd choice.