• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Chris Osgood announces retirement

Rate this topic

At least it wasn't the other way around.

I'm more worried about any lingering health issues.

Speaking of health issues....Osgood reminds me of Herpes, you just can't get rid of them. An just when you think your safe, it flares up again.

WTF, he must have some pics of Holland in a balerina dress or something. I can't figure it out.

Happy about this personally. He's brought so much to our team already and can be a great mentor for Jimmy.

He's still only our number 2 goalie, its not like we're counting on him night in and night out.

Also, there literally isn't anyone better out there that we can sign.

Hope it is indeed a 1 year contract announced tomorrow, and he has a great final season of an incredible career.

And let's be straight, in the context of their careers, a healthy Osgood is a MUCH better option than anyone else on the market. Conklin had a good year with the Wings. He's had lousy years since. And we're talking about a career backup with an isolated good year verses a 400-win, 3-time Stanley Cup champion. If he's healthy, this will be a great move. If he can't stay healthy, it won't be the end of the world at all because Macdonald isn't the worst 3rd choice.

I agree 100%. If Ozzie stays healthy, and signs at league minimum...you cannot beat that. He's a proven goalie who knows how to win. Anyone who comes up with the last 2 year arguement (also forgetting '09 play-off run in the process) is either a hater or just ignorant in the fact that he has been injured for most of the '09/'10 season, and ALL of '10/'11 season.

Hip injuries, torn groin...and other minor injuries that could nag a goaltender in playing his game. To me, that explains the last 2 seasons. Hell, I give the guy props for the '09 play-off run alone because he was injured the whole run. Sheer heart and will there if you ask me.

He stays healthy...signs at league min...best back-up signing possible for the wings.

Edited by Dynheart

Speaking of health issues....Osgood reminds me of Herpes, you just can't get rid of them. An just when you think your safe, it flares up again.

WTF, he must have some pics of Holland in a balerina dress or something. I can't figure it out.

It could be the two Cups he won as the starting goaltender for the Wings. Just a guess. :dntknw:

That being said, his health is a major concern. But I'm guessing Holland made pretty damn sure about Ozzy's health before he offered him a contract.

Good point. Everyone's memory I guess is fuzzy. If the Wings didn't suck the last two games in the series they would have won and we would have a different tone in these threads.

Before anyone denies that and says he would still be encourage to retire because of injury, ask yourself if you ever thought that about Yzerman?

Fixed it for you.

Fixed it for you.

True, but they didn't have to play those games if they didn't get the series momentum stolen from them. I don't care if it sounds like conspiracy theories or whining, I know what I saw. Bad calls that allowed an inferior team to extend a series, and ultimately win by the slimmest of margins.

We don't get to call that one a championship, but I will always be satisfied knowing we were the better team and have found peace with that. Osgood unfortunately needed the actual credit more than just the victory of the soul.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Freep - St. James

The Red Wings have scheduled a conference call for Tuesday where they are expected to announce goaltender Chris Osgood will be back for another season.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

How's he going to win the vezina without a single shutout in 2 years?

Although I am not saying I think he's going to win it, the previous two years mean nothing in this years consideration. That was a silly question.

Including Ozzie. On that breakaway goal he had such terrible position that you could tell just by the camera angels. I still don't and never will buy in that he was the Conn Smythe worthy during that run.

Are you kidding me? So we should focus on the few isolated mistakes as opposed to the majority of his play which was nothing short of outstanding? He in many ways carried the team through the playoffs as we battled injuries throughout to our biggest stars. Even Lidstrom missed games! There was no way in hell anyone was going to win the Conn Smythe over him that year. Zetterberg finished the playoffs strong but was not a force throughout; and he was the only one close. Osgood's strong, consistent play was the highlight of that run. He had a great run in '08, better as far as stats are concerned I believe, but there's no question that he was a better overall goalie and a much bigger part of our success on the '09 run. It's a shame we couldn't pull it all off. Then we'd have another Cup and one less stupid argument.

Guest Crymson

Fixed it for you.

Osgood did not do well in game seven. He failed to position his stick correctly on the first goal and completely lost his angle on the second.

Osgood did not do well in game seven. He failed to position his stick correctly on the first goal and completely lost his angle on the second.

We also only scored 1 goal. Last I checked, giving up 2 goals isn't exactly evidence for "not playing well" Usually the 1-2 goal range is what we ideally want out of a goalie in a realistic world to "give the team a chance to win." He wasn't perfect and you could say it wasn't his best game, but it's a stretch to say he didn't play well. He wasn't the only one who dropped the ball on the plays either.

The bottom line with that run was that our stars were too beat up to push us over the top. A 2-1 loss with a battered lineup is a tough loss to swallow on so many levels and it's easy to look at the goalie when they don't pull out the shutout or the 1 goal effort...but Osgood didn't exactly pull a Luongo either. What happened with Luongo this year was truly "not playing well" in game 7.

How can anyone possibly complain if indeed he is returning for one more season? After all his years and loyalty to the Red Wings, he deserves to get one more year. If he really didn't feel like he couldn't play anymore or that his injury was THAT bad he wouldn't play. I trust his and Holland's decision and am extremely happy if he re-signs for another year. Couldn't ask for a better or more reliable back up.

I sure hope it is retirement....Does Holland really think Osgood is the best back up option? I guess Nabokov isn't worth Hudler to him....or is it the Isle's dont want Hudler?

edit: I am a huge history buff, but damn I am growing tired of nostalgia on this team...Draper, Osgood, it's time to go, hang them up, retire! SPEND THE MONEY HOLLAND! TRADE HUDLER!

Edited by LeftWinger