• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Chris Osgood announces retirement

Rate this topic

Are you sure you're remembering properly? Osgood's sv% was .890; he was indeed a sieve. He won so many games because the Wings could outscore almost any team on a nightly basis. The #2 offensive team in the west scored 31 less goals, and the #2 offensive team overall scored 21 less.

All I'm saying is he got the wins and the team wasn't any worse for his "poor play" which was primarily mid season.

Free Press v Macomb Daily... I am hoping the one that should be more reliable based on size is the right one.

I'm gonna go with MLive and Macomb Daily. They actually have quotes from his agent which seem to indicate that he's retiring.

I'm gonna go with MLive and Macomb Daily. They actually have quotes from his agent which seem to indicate that he's retiring.

Conference call seems to indicate that there is no retirement. Also not having a contract doesn't equal not playing. A relationship like that could indicate a gentleman's agreement they will have a contract in place soon. At this point in my career, I would even consider not using the agent to save some money. What negotiating has to be done for a bare bones contract with a father like figure?

Conference call seems to indicate that there is no retirement. Also not having a contract doesn't equal not playing. A relationship like that could indicate a gentleman's agreement they will have a contract in place soon. At this point in my career, I would even consider not using the agent to save some money. What negotiating has to be done for a bare bones contract with a father like figure?

I definitely thought conference call = re-signing, but the Khan article seems legit. It's not just the agent quotes, because I agree it's possible the agent may not know/ be involved, Khan also says that the Wings plan to give Ozzie a job helping out the young goalies and that they plan to sign Conklin. It's much more detailed than St. James' article which basically just says Ozzie is coming back. If I had to bet on which one is correct, I'd take Khan's.

Guest Crymson

All I'm saying is he got the wins and the team wasn't any worse for his "poor play" which was primarily mid season.

As far as I can recall, he was poor from the start (Edit: yup; see this link for details). He got the wins, sure, but he got them primarily because the Wings had an enormously prolific offense. Conklin soundly outplayed him for most of the season.

Edited by Crymson

Well this news went from exciting to a huge bummer real fast.

If so, thanks for everything Ozzie. You are easily my favorite goalie ever and we should all be thankful for his loyalty and dedication to the Red Wings organization. I've never seen a more under-appreciated athlete and all he did was win cups and play his heart out for this team.

You will be sorely missed Oz.

Oh and this "source" stuff has been heard before. I don't buy it right now, not because it isn't possible. Because nothing seems to make sense here. Too much uncertainty, and could be just speculation at this point.

I guess it is best just to figure things out as they come.

Ozzie will return

Shawn P. Roarke - NHL.com Senior Managing Editor

Helene St. James - Detroit Free Press

Ozzie will retire

Ansar Khan - MLive

Art Regner - Fox Sports Detroit Net

Chuck Pleiness - Macomb Daily

The Helene St. James piece in the Free Press is several hours older than the 3 articles saying he will retire.

I'd like to see him come back for one more year on a minimum contract. I got pretty excited hearing he was returning but now there are articles saying that it IS a retirement. Idk, I thought they'd give him a press conference like Rafi got, rather than doing it via a conference call. I guess we all just sit here and wait to find out what's actually going on.

I'd personally like to see him come back for one last year.

I definitely thought conference call = re-signing, but the Khan article seems legit. It's not just the agent quotes, because I agree it's possible the agent may not know/ be involved, Khan also says that the Wings plan to give Ozzie a job helping out the young goalies and that they plan to sign Conklin. It's much more detailed than St. James' article which basically just says Ozzie is coming back. If I had to bet on which one is correct, I'd take Khan's.

khan is usually spot on.

we'll see.

:lol: at a -2 for saying Osgood/Draper should retire and for Holland to spend money... Oh boo hoo, someone says my little Ozzie should retire... Do you think he should play until he is 70? He is too injured, do you want a back-up that'll win for you in the playoffs? I never said they suck, but just that its over, they should retire and Holland should spend the money elsewhere, but again, some folks just think the "old Wings" should stay here and never retire and if you say something different, they'll neg you.

I hope this conference is to announce his retirement. The Wings need to acquire Nabokov to really push Jimmy to the next level, Osgood cannot do that.

Guest stinky fish taco

so he's retiring now?

what a pleasant surprise to start the morning. definitely put a spring in my step. the sun's shining a bit brighter, the birds chirping a bit louder.

what a great day.

I'm honestly surprised that he's retiring via a conference call -- shocked, really -- even if he is taking up a position within the organization. Perhaps this was Osgood's personal choice as I'm sure a press conference in the Olympia Room and a retirement forthcoming at least a year before the player wants to reach that point is going to be extremely emotional.

Thanks for the memories, Ozzie. It was a helluva ride.

so he's retiring now?

what a pleasant surprise to start the morning. definitely put a spring in my step. the sun's shining a bit brighter, the birds chirping a bit louder.

what a great day.

You can be happy the organization is moving on with perhaps a healthier option, if that is indeed what is truly happening, without being a d**khead.