• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Chris Osgood announces retirement

Rate this topic

Maybe Ozzie realized that his injury was more difficult to come back from than he originally thought. I was nervous about him coming back if it was going to be the same story as the previous 2 years, namely, inconsistent #2. If he retires and takes on a role with new goalies, that's the best and classiest move for all.

Edited by RedWingsRox

I'm just surprised so few of you are conflicted about this news. When I first heard the news about a conference today I heard it was a press conference so I automatically thought retirement. In a lot of ways I think the Wings, as a team, would be in a better position if Osgood did retire simply based on his health/injury status. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't be a little sad to see him go. For those of you who have watched the Wings over the last 20 years we literally are at the forefront of a changing of the guard. It's one thing to talk about it but another to see it happen.

I went bed happy thinking he was going to be around for another year. Now I don't know what to think, so I'm going to wait for the announcement. I could understand him not wanting to do a press conference to announce his retirement if that is the case.

It sucks to see him retire, but I don't blame him for wanting to move on.

so he's retiring now?

what a pleasant surprise to start the morning. definitely put a spring in my step. the sun's shining a bit brighter, the birds chirping a bit louder.

what a great day.

We'll all say the same thing the day you stop posting here.

I still think this is to announce he's coming back, I think the contract details were so minute that he just "negotiated" the deal himself, and didn't even talk to his agent about it, which is why the agent didn't know:

Holland: How do you feel Ozzie, honestly?

Ozzie: Rehab went well and I feel rejuvenated and really think I can help this team

Holland: 1 year deal, this amount is what we're offering, should I fax this to your agent?

Ozzie: No need, money's not an issue, I just want to play, give me it, I'll sign it right here

and, scene.

I'll be sad to see Ozzie go, but it must be time. I have a feeling that this has a lot to do with last year's injuries, which is a tough way to go out.

If his playing career is in fact over, I imagine he'll be immediately moved to the front office.

Chris Osgood, Red Wings veteran goaltender, to retire

The Red Wings have scheduled a conference call today to announce goaltender Chris Osgood will retire and instead take a job within the organization.

The Free Press earlier reported Osgood would return to play, but has learned otherwise.

Osgood, 38, spent much of last season injured, unable to play past January after undergoing sports hernia surgery. The Wings explored bringing in a new backup goaltender when free agency began July 1, including making an offer to Tomas Vokoun, but were unable to find anyone.

That prompted general manager Ken Holland to reach out to Osgood. Osgood had told the Wings after the season ended that he would like to play another season.

The Wings have few options left at back-up. Ty Conklin is still available, as is Ray Emery and Marty Turco.

Osgood went 5-3-2 last season with a .903 save percentage and 2.77 goals-against average. Just before he went under the knife he became the 10th goalie in NHL history to reach 400 victories. He’s also been in net for two Stanley Cups, and led the Wings all the way to Game 7 of the ’09 Finals.

Contact Helene St. James: 313-222-2295 or hstjames@freepress.com.

This is odd to me that they're doing a conference call and not a presser for this...

Yeah not sure why he wouldn't be getting a press conference for this. Maybe he didn't want one?

Yeah not sure why he wouldn't be getting a press conference for this. Maybe he didn't want one?

If this report is true, I'd have to imagine that's what it is - he's always been a relatively soft spoken guy and maybe he just didn't want all the attention, still seems like too small of a way for a guy to go out who had such a great career though... on any note, if this report is true, I'm VERY happy he's staying in the organization - if nothing else, the obvious impact he has had on Howard alone is reason to keep him around the locker room...

If this is retirement, then I wish him well. It was a hell of a run.

From what I gather, he's up in British Columbia, so that might explain a conference call rather than a presser.

And please, NOT Marty Turco. Bring back Ty Conklin.

Edited by Kira

Thanks for the memories Ozzie! All the great regular season wins. Your double overtime shutout of St Louis in 96, going toe to toe with a much bigger Patrick Roy and then proving your playoff toughness in 98. Saving the team from a Nashville upset and only losing 4 total games on way to a cup in 08.

But most importantly thanks for never changing your mask and keeping the old school look right up until 2010!

NHL.com said that repotedly he will retire and take a job with the team as a Goalie Consultant. I think that would be what's best for the team. He'd still be a member of the organization but he won't put his team at risk if he were to come back and get injured again. I hope it is retirement but I'll wait and see.

NHL.com said that repotedly he will retire and take a job with the team as a Goalie Consultant. I think that would be what's best for the team. He'd still be a member of the organization but he won't put his team at risk if he were to come back and get injured again. I hope it is retirement but I'll wait and see.

I think that's great. Ozzie has done a great job mentoring Jimmy Howard, and I'm glad that he's in a role where he can expand on that.

I love the fact Ozzys agent found out about the conference like everyone else lol. Kind of a funny situation, I also loved how Ozzy just texted him "meeting with Kenny". If he's done it'll be sad to see him go, anyone who doesnt agree the mans an absolute Icon in goal is ridiculous.

Edit: Also super stoked about him developing our young goalies, I cant think of a better guy to do this, his calm would be great for that position.

Edited by 13dangledangle

If we win one more game in '09, the Cup would be ours and the Conn Smythe would likely go to Chris Osgood.

That was just two years ago. It's not ancient history.

In the playoffs, I think Ozzie still has it in him to step up to the occasion if called upon. This is because he's done it before not that long ago. Could you say the same about Ray Emery or Ty Conklin?

So much this. HoF goalie for me. He has the stats and the rings. Wonder what the +/- will be on the "I could play goal for those Wings teams" comments.