• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Chris Osgood announces retirement

Rate this topic

Well, you know Ozzie...never one to be flashy or obvious.

So how long after the word comes down do you think it will take for Ken Holland to have Ty Conklin under contract? I give it two hours at the most.

I really doubt the Wings announce the Conklin (or whoever) signing for at least a day or two (maybe more). I don't think they would want to take attention away from the retirement of essentially the Wings' most consistently prominent goaltender of the last 15 years.

Maybe once Osgood's retirement was settled up they signed Conklin. He could already have a deal. Whether Conklin is yet to sign or whatever I can't see an announcement made until at least tomorrow or Thursday - maybe even mroe likely Friday.

I am so pissed at the writer of Puck Daddy right now choosing to attack Osgood at this time and say he needed to go and that there is no question he is not a HoF goalie, and there is no question he doesn't belong. I mean, you can save your opinion for a bit until after he is done retiring dick.

Go f*** yourself. I know I am not reading his s*** again.

Guest echos myron

I am so pissed at the writer of Puck Daddy right now choosing to attack Osgood at this time and say he needed to go and that there is no question he is not a HoF goalie, and there is no question he doesn't belong. I mean, you can save your opinion for a bit until after he is done retiring dick.

Ntf8d.gif

Osgood will be missed it was time for him to hang up his skates i guess, but he was one of those hart and sole type guys just like Draper has been. I think he is a HOF guys because of his numbers and we will miss him greatly! Great to see he will still be part of the team will be a great help with younger goalies. THANKS OZZY!!!

Relax,it only proves how the other fans are jelaous and frustrated about the Wings organization ;)

I also want to say how much we will need to thank him in the future, as a new amateur goaltender development director/scout he will have a profound effect on the development of our future between the pipes.

We HAVE to be excited about that. Osgood, more than anyone, knows how to be mature and cool under the highest scrutiny, and knows how to tweak your game even to the point of reinvention. He will be excellent in said position.

Relax,it only proves how the other fans are jelaous and frustrated about the Wings organization ;)

Doesn't mean I am going to put up with it, that guy is dead to me.

I hope he's at camp in September. I'd love a chance to talk to him.

Meantime...thanks, Chris.

Look to the stars

Soak up the sun

Walk with angels

Sucks that he's retiring as he's still near the top of his game. Either way, one of the best goalies the Wings have had in a while. You're not going to find another goalie of his caliber for the money he was making (less than $1M, I think). Thanks for the memories, Mr 400! See ya in the HHOF!

Sucks that he's retiring as he's still near the top of his game. Either way, one of the best goalies the Wings have had in a while. You're not going to find another goalie of his caliber for the money he was making (less than $1M, I think). Thanks for the memories, Mr 400! See ya in the HHOF!

I don't know that he's still there. The heart and, to some degree, the talent might be - but his body is beginning to betray him.

Kind of sucks, because his last two seasons were really sub-par, mostly due to confidence, lack of playing time, and finally injury. I never felt he was declining quality-wise, only that he hit a rough patch. I never really felt that he just couldn't hack it anymore. Sad to see another player retiring basically due to injury. Who knows, maybe with proper conditioning and a couple years off treating the groin area right he might pull a Hasek and come back for one more run at glory.

EDIT: And I think one of the greatest legacies he leaves is not his success on the ice, but that with all the drama constantly swirling around the goaltending situation he never caused problems, and always wanted to come back to the Wings and stay with them no matter what. A true team player. I've never seen a player take so much crap and still so earnestly want to stay in the city that treated him in such a bipolar manner.

Edited by VM1138

Kind of sucks, because his last two seasons were really sub-par, mostly due to confidence, lack of playing time, and finally injury. I never felt he was declining quality-wise, only that he hit a rough patch. I never really felt that he just couldn't hack it anymore. Sad to see another player retiring basically due to injury. Who knows, maybe with proper conditioning and a couple years off treating the groin area right he might pull a Hasek and come back for one more run at glory.

EDIT: And I think one of the greatest legacies he leaves is not his success on the ice, but that with all the drama constantly swirling around the goaltending situation he never caused problems, and always wanted to come back to the Wings and stay with them no matter what. A true team player. I've never seen a player take so much crap and still so earnestly want to stay in the city that treated him in such a bipolar manner.

Just perfectly stated.

If you (as in you in general, not you specficially VM) wanted him to retire because of the health angle or because if you thought it was finally time, cool. It was going to happen much sooner than later.

But to possibly kick him to the curb in a bi-polar manner like you say or be celebrating with fireworks that he retired because of the bi-polarness or if you might not like him, if you are one of those people and I saw you face-to-face right now, I'd probably knock you upside the head.

As much as I love the Wings I absolutely cannot stand how, generally speaking, a lot of them just s**t on goalies in a beyond obsessive manner.

And Osgood didn't make one possible stink about the fans here. Didn't cause a scene and the like when they chose Hasek over him and he had to go elsewhere temporarily (and he could have easily done so which I wouldn't have blamed him because I guarantee it probably hurt him that his days in Detroit then were numbered). Didn't cause a stink with not being a full-time starter or backup his past few seasons here. He just wanted to play for the Wings. As ultimate a team player as you'll find in recent memory.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan