• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Chris Osgood announces retirement

Rate this topic

EDIT: And I think one of the greatest legacies he leaves is not his success on the ice, but that with all the drama constantly swirling around the goaltending situation he never caused problems, and always wanted to come back to the Wings and stay with them no matter what. A true team player. I've never seen a player take so much crap and still so earnestly want to stay in the city that treated him in such a bipolar manner.

QFT. Also, I have never seen anyone able to shake off a bad goal or a bad game better than him.

Thank you for every thing you have done for this organixation ozzy. we have all ragged on u from time to time, but you had a brilliant career, and you deserve to be in the hall of fame. Great team guy, wish him the best of luck to him and his family in his retirement.

:lol: at a -2 for saying Osgood/Draper should retire and for Holland to spend money... Oh boo hoo, someone says my little Ozzie should retire... Do you think he should play until he is 70? He is too injured, do you want a back-up that'll win for you in the playoffs? I never said they suck, but just that its over, they should retire and Holland should spend the money elsewhere, but again, some folks just think the "old Wings" should stay here and never retire and if you say something different, they'll neg you.

I hope this conference is to announce his retirement. The Wings need to acquire Nabokov to really push Jimmy to the next level, Osgood cannot do that.

Nor can you obviously let it rest, can you? You're right 'up' there with the Wings' organization in the Class Act category by making this just a conference call instead of a press conference. The only thing that could save the hierarchy from shame is if Ozzie didn't want a press conference to announce his retirement. Otherwise, it sucks.

THANK YOU OZZIE. Throughout your stellar career and your loyalty to the Red Wings' organization, you have brought us great joy and pride and I for one am honored to have watched you play. I wish nothing but the best to you and your family.

You can be happy the organization is moving on with perhaps a healthier option, if that is indeed what is truly happening, without being a d**khead.

Nice try, but obviously too late.

Ozzie, you got the heart of a lion, baby!

That still gives me chills.

Thanks. You made me cry, but it's an OK thing. :thumbup:

i am seriously so depresed. i knew it was inevitable and he was bound to retire some day but i guess i thought and hoped he'd sign on for one more year. it's hard knowing that i'll never see my favorite player and the guy ive been a fan of since i was a little kid never play again. :(

:thumbup:

I really wish I wasn't out of Positive votes for the day, because there are a ton of great sentiments being thrown around.

:thumbup: Same here. To those of you who show compassion and perspective about what Ozzie did for this team, I applaud you all. And thanks. :clap:

So you think #30 goes in the rafters this season?

I don't know about this season but next is a huge possibility next season.

Is it too early to start talking about the Hall of Fame discussion?

I love Osgood and recognize what he's done as a goaltender, but I don't know that #30 makes it up there. Not because he isn't deserving, but because the Wings very rarely raise numbers to the rafters.

Well, this has certainly been a bummer of a day, but the plus side to this is that Ozzie is staying with the team, albeit in a different capacity. One of the greatest goalies to ever wear our uniform, I hope to one day see #30 in the rafters where (IMO) it belongs.

Fair winds and following seas, Ozzie. *salutes*

Guest CaliWingsNut

Thank You, Osgood!

May you enjoy your well earned retirement.

I love Osgood and recognize what he's done as a goaltender, but I don't know that #30 makes it up there. Not because he isn't deserving, but because the Wings very rarely raise numbers to the rafters.

This.

In the storied history of the Detroit Red Wings franchise, they've only retired six numbers (seven when Lids retires). Osgood did a ton for this team, is a very good goaltender, and is a heart and soul Red Wing, but he's not in the same class as those other guys.

I was totally surprised to see this though. So did he retire by conference call? I'm a little confused by that.

All in all it seemed like it was time. He managed to reinvent his game once, but then all the injuries just took their toll. Like I said, he's a heart and soul Wing and I won't forget all he gave to this organization. He was phenomenal in '08 when he stepped in as backup and won the Cup.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

personal attacks for expressing my opinion on the osgood retirement?

i didn't even say anything bad about him.

right. like you couldn't possibly have predicted the reaction you got from your post.

It's a thread about a long-time Red Wing player retiring, and you posted about how happy it made you. You were trolling and it worked. Congrats.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Guest stinky fish taco

right. like you couldn't possibly have predicted the reaction you got from your post.

It's a thread about a long-time Red Wing player retiring, and you posted about how happy it made you. You were trolling and it worked. Congrats.

there are some that feel the same way as i do. my post got a couple +1s before the -1 bombardment.

there are some that feel the same way as i do. my post got a couple +1s before the -1 bombardment.

Honestly I think it was the right decision for him and for the team.

That doesn't make it any less of a dick move to go celebrating it in a thread about his retirement.

This is what's best for the team. Ozzie as been tremendous for us for many seasons but he's been hampered with injuries for a while and I'd hate to see him signed and than be out again for any duration of the season or playoffs and put the Wings in a real predicament. If it was just his age I'd say he could play one more season but add that with his injuries and it's best he calls it quits. No one can take away his 3 Stanley Cup Rings and that's what I'll always remember about him. I love Ozzie to death but it's a good thing to hang it up. He's still with the organization and that's terrific he can still mentor Jimmy as well as MacDonald, McCollum, and Pearce and whoever else we sign as our back-up.

woke up to this sad news... i dont have any words to express my gratitude towards you sir Chris Osgood. your just the best of the best. on and off the ice. grew up watching you since i was 10. might not show on my face right now but my hearts crying ... it'll be Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie for life! thanks for everything 3 cups especially 2008 in my mind. we will misss his calmness and sense of humor alot as fans