• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#161 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

I also want to say how much we will need to thank him in the future, as a new amateur goaltender development director/scout he will have a profound effect on the development of our future between the pipes.

We HAVE to be excited about that. Osgood, more than anyone, knows how to be mature and cool under the highest scrutiny, and knows how to tweak your game even to the point of reinvention. He will be excellent in said position.

Relax,it only proves how the other fans are jelaous and frustrated about the Wings organization ;)

Doesn't mean I am going to put up with it, that guy is dead to me.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#162 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:40 AM

I hope he's at camp in September. I'd love a chance to talk to him.

Meantime...thanks, Chris.

Look to the stars
Soak up the sun
Walk with angels
Posted Image

#163 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:44 AM

:(
Hockeytown - No Limits

#164 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:48 AM

Ozzie:

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time."

wowzers!
Posted Image

#165 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:52 AM

Thank you for everything Chris! You were a fantastic goalie, and one day you will be in the HOF no matter what jealous fans say. Good luck in your retirement and we'll all miss you. :thumbup:

#NOMOREKINDL

#166 commadore183

commadore183

Versus televised America's last nuclear bomb test

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:53 AM

Sucks that he's retiring as he's still near the top of his game. Either way, one of the best goalies the Wings have had in a while. You're not going to find another goalie of his caliber for the money he was making (less than $1M, I think). Thanks for the memories, Mr 400! See ya in the HHOF!
Mike Illich does not care about Detroit. Boycott 2013 Winter Cla$$ic.
Skilled hockey is, and will forever be, winning hockey. Deal with it.
"A perfect vision, some simple ways to let you know
Free range humans all couped up naked clone is playing lame" Avon by Queens of the Stone Age

#167 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

Sucks that he's retiring as he's still near the top of his game. Either way, one of the best goalies the Wings have had in a while. You're not going to find another goalie of his caliber for the money he was making (less than $1M, I think). Thanks for the memories, Mr 400! See ya in the HHOF!

I don't know that he's still there. The heart and, to some degree, the talent might be - but his body is beginning to betray him.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#168 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

Kind of sucks, because his last two seasons were really sub-par, mostly due to confidence, lack of playing time, and finally injury. I never felt he was declining quality-wise, only that he hit a rough patch. I never really felt that he just couldn't hack it anymore. Sad to see another player retiring basically due to injury. Who knows, maybe with proper conditioning and a couple years off treating the groin area right he might pull a Hasek and come back for one more run at glory.

EDIT: And I think one of the greatest legacies he leaves is not his success on the ice, but that with all the drama constantly swirling around the goaltending situation he never caused problems, and always wanted to come back to the Wings and stay with them no matter what. A true team player. I've never seen a player take so much crap and still so earnestly want to stay in the city that treated him in such a bipolar manner.

Edited by VM1138, 19 July 2011 - 11:58 AM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#169 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:00 PM

As we well know, prophets and artists are never appreciated in their own time.
Posted Image

#170 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:00 PM

I really wish I wasn't out of Positive votes for the day, because there are a ton of great sentiments being thrown around.

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#171 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

I'd let you borrow mine, but I don't think they'd let you. I've got a bunch of them I never used. :)
Posted Image

#172 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

Sad about this but I saw it coming, Thank you Ozzie. You are a great character, a great goalie, and someone that Detroit was fortunate to have around for so long!

So for one last time..... OZZIE! OZZIE! OZZIE! OZZIE! OZZIE!
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#173 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:07 PM

Kind of sucks, because his last two seasons were really sub-par, mostly due to confidence, lack of playing time, and finally injury. I never felt he was declining quality-wise, only that he hit a rough patch. I never really felt that he just couldn't hack it anymore. Sad to see another player retiring basically due to injury. Who knows, maybe with proper conditioning and a couple years off treating the groin area right he might pull a Hasek and come back for one more run at glory.

EDIT: And I think one of the greatest legacies he leaves is not his success on the ice, but that with all the drama constantly swirling around the goaltending situation he never caused problems, and always wanted to come back to the Wings and stay with them no matter what. A true team player. I've never seen a player take so much crap and still so earnestly want to stay in the city that treated him in such a bipolar manner.

Just perfectly stated.

If you (as in you in general, not you specficially VM) wanted him to retire because of the health angle or because if you thought it was finally time, cool. It was going to happen much sooner than later.

But to possibly kick him to the curb in a bi-polar manner like you say or be celebrating with fireworks that he retired because of the bi-polarness or if you might not like him, if you are one of those people and I saw you face-to-face right now, I'd probably knock you upside the head.

As much as I love the Wings I absolutely cannot stand how, generally speaking, a lot of them just s**t on goalies in a beyond obsessive manner.

And Osgood didn't make one possible stink about the fans here. Didn't cause a scene and the like when they chose Hasek over him and he had to go elsewhere temporarily (and he could have easily done so which I wouldn't have blamed him because I guarantee it probably hurt him that his days in Detroit then were numbered). Didn't cause a stink with not being a full-time starter or backup his past few seasons here. He just wanted to play for the Wings. As ultimate a team player as you'll find in recent memory.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 19 July 2011 - 12:08 PM.

#174 Kira

Kira

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

Well and truly spoken, my friend.
Posted Image

#175 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:13 PM

God bless ya Oz!

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan, 19 July 2011 - 12:25 PM.

#NOMOREKINDL

#176 Cruiser008

Cruiser008

Headed to the Rafters

• Silver Booster
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:19 PM

One of the most underrated, loyal, and down-to-earth guys around, and someone who epitomized what it meant to be a Red Wing. Thanks for everything Ozzie!

#177 Gizmo

Gizmo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:22 PM

One of the most underrated, loyal, and down-to-earth guys around, and someone who epitomized what it meant to be a Red Wing. Thanks for everything Ozzie!

Amen and Amen!!!
"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... outta da crease... in-a da crease... outta da crease!!!"

#178 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for the memories Chris! One of the best Red Wings of all time. I know not talent wise but as a team player he was something else and I am saying that as a good thing.

#179 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:43 PM

QFT. Also, I have never seen anyone able to shake off a bad goal or a bad game better than him.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#180 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

Oh and btw, he gets the HoF he gets his number retired. I think those are linked.