• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest CaliWingsNut

Nice Article on Datsyuk's Hometown Hockey camp.

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

Sounds like he's gotten a lot of support for the camp and it continues to grow year after year. Wish I could check it out.

The reporter will be writing further articles as the camp continues.

The Hockey News - Rory Boylen

It all started on a Detroit Red Wings plane trip a few years ago when Datsyuk approached Jay Woodcroft, then a coach with the Wings and currently an assistant with the San Jose Sharks. Datsyuk knew of a hockey camp Jay and his brother, Todd (an L.A. Kings scout), ran in Belarus and wanted to take that approach in his hometown to give something back to the community.

“He wanted to expose the kids in Ekaterinburg to a different style of coaching, to the North American style,” Jay Woodcroft said.

That North American style is all about fun and a positive attitude. It’s not something common in these circles, so it provides a unique experience for the kids. A lot of them are making repeat appearances and the glow in their faces as they arrived, recognized and ran up to greet their North American instructors tells you all you need to know about the impact this experience has had on them. It’s a reaction Datsyuk is proud to have helped create.

Yes, esteef, it is. I always thought it kinda funny that a guy with his reputation would get involved with someone like Pasha, but apparently he was good with the kids and he fit in well. He'll be missed, I'm sure.

I hope they figure out a way to get a birthday cake to Pasha for Wednesday...that would be really nice.

Yes, esteef, it is. I always thought it kinda funny that a guy with his reputation would get involved with someone like Pasha, but apparently he was good with the kids and he fit in well. He'll be missed, I'm sure.

I hope they figure out a way to get a birthday cake to Pasha for Wednesday...that would be really nice.

I think he also ran a fighting/hockey camp with his bro back here in North America too. Really cool dood. I always wondered though how Pavs introduced Boogie to those little Russian kids. :lol:

esteef

I've no idea, but from what I heard he really took to them well, and they to him. I guess we'll never know.

Some stupid wag online said, "Why is the media so obsessed on Datsyuk?" Why? Number one, I don't think they are "obsessed". Two, he's a breath of fresh air...no ego, no pretense. No mouth like some, and a s***load of talent to back it up. What's not to love?

Edited by Kira

Guest CaliWingsNut

Day 1 - Kids hit the ice.

When the kids are on the ice it’s not Pavel running the camp and explaining the practice. Instead, he’s constantly talking one-on-one with the kids, gathering pucks, setting up pylons and demonstrating a couple of drills. He’s more in the background than up front, but you can imagine each word he speaks to them is gospel and each moment he spends with them is surreal.

Think about the names Tretiak, Bobrov, Kharlamov - then add Datsyuk to the mix. And then think of this: At lunch in the cafeteria, there was Datsyuk playfully fielding questions from a few kids asking him something in Russian. When I asked him what they were saying, he told me they wanted to know what time they went back on the ice, but he didn’t know because he’s not running the show.

Bless his heart. Just the most humble, unassuming person you could ever want to have on your team.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PASHA!!!!!!!!!! WE LOVE YA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :balloon:

Remember, 33 is just the number on Kris Draper's jersey. :)

:beerbuddy:

Edited by Kira