• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:17 AM

I'm pleased. Conks knows how to be a good backup. He cheers the other guy on and pushes him a bit. If he gets put in the starter role, he does his best and doesn't take it badly when the starter returns. That takes a man with no ego. In other words, a perfect Wing.

Welcome back, Conk Block!

#22 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:32 AM

Great signing. Really the only goalie the Wings were going to go after at this point, so I'm glad it worked out.

Welcome back Conks, having a better team in front of him will make him a better goalie - and that cap hit is great.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#23 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:45 AM

well that didn't take long...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#24 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

He sucked the last two years.

Did you happen to notice the team playing in front of him the past two years?
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#25 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:42 AM

Other than Larsson coming back this is exactly what I was hoping for so it's a great signing and I'm thrilled they were able to get it done. Conks is a good solid back-up and I think will do great again here in Detroit!! Welcome Back Conks!!

#26 zombi

zombi

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

Great signing.

A clear sign though that you can not please all DRW. There will ALWAYS be something to complain about here.

Posted Image

#27 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:48 AM

Did you happen to notice the team playing in front of him the past two years?

and coming from the "could not be more correct department" - NFM!

It's funny that people just look at his stats and not the WAY he played there, it's hard to put up stellar numbers when your defense in front of you is a complete SIEVE... also, Conklin is not the next coming of Dom Hasek, he is what he is a damn solid BACKUP, which, coincidentally, is what we needed...

This is the perfect fit.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#28 CupCrazy22

CupCrazy22

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:04 AM

I approve of this signing!

#29 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:12 AM

This is suppose to be a welcome back Conks thread and it's morphed into a Howard bashing thread? Ridiculous...

....That aside it's pretty awesome to have Ty back, I felt bad for him St. Louis. I really like the Howard/Conklin tandem, very good news for us. Posted Image
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#30 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,752 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:12 AM

I approve! Welcome back, Ty!

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#31 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:23 AM

Strickland has Conks at 1 Yr - 750 000. So even better than I was thinking. :thumbup:

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#32 wingsftw

wingsftw

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:28 AM

Other than Larsson coming back this is exactly what I was hoping for so it's a great signing and I'm thrilled they were able to get it done. Conks is a good solid back-up and I think will do great again here in Detroit!! Welcome Back Conks!!

I feel the same way. Solid signing of Conks at a low cap hit. However, the one thing this off season has shown us is that we need some young trade assets with Holland's refusal to over-pay UFA's, probably even more so next year, to fill in some holes from our older players leaving and under-performers. As it stands now, any young guy that has some value, we don't want to get rid of. If Larsson has attitude problems and what-not, he's still a good player. Let him build up some value by actually giving him some exposure, and trade him if he doesn't fit well here. At least get something for him, and he'd be a young guy that we wouldn't mind getting rid of assuming he has those problems. Probably even better for the Wings, he could end up being a good fit mentally as he matures, and you have another young stud goalie. With J-Mac as a third, it seems less risky. Oh well, Holland is so predictable sometimes or maybe there's some friction between him and Howard that we don't know about. Being a long-time Wings fan, I have to assume it's Holland's cautiousness.

#33 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:31 AM

Awesome. Totally expected, but a very solid signing. This is probably the strongest goalie tandem the Wings have had since 2009 due to Osgood's injuries the past two seasons. Howard is finally coming into his own and Conklin is one of the best backups in the league. I have a good feeling about this team this year. I think the motivation problem is solved, we are much stronger defensively and without major injuries the chemistry from 08 and 09 should return.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#34 Johnny Diamonds

Johnny Diamonds

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

This deserves Shopz

Attached Files

#35 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

I think this is a great signing for a few reasons. First of all, Conklin has proven to be a reliable back-up goalie for us in the past. Sure, he had two mediocre seasons but that was playing for the BLUES! Now he is back in Hockeytown where I think he will be able to perform just as good as he did in 2009. He is a great back-up goalie who I think should play about 30-35 games this season and will give us a good chance to win all of those games when Howie rests. Another good thing is that Conks is a lot like Ozzie... he is calm and does not let things bother him. So, again, just like Ozzie, I think Conks will be able to develop a good relationship with Howie which will help him mature.

The last thing I life is that it is a million bucks, which still leaves us 6 million to play with. I do not know if Kenny will make a move now or wait until the trade deadline, but I know he will not let that 6 million go to waste. I really like the offseason moves so far, and I think we will have a good team on the ice this year.

#36 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:49 AM

Well, that didn't take long. Welcome back, Ty!
Posted Image

#37 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

He is Back

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#38 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

Conk Block!

#39 Vladiator

Vladiator

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

Good signing. Was hoping that Kenny could have dumped off Hudler to the Isles for Nabby.

#40 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

This is a great signing.