• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest CaliWingsNut

Doc Emrick leaves devils

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

Letter by Emrick posted on devil's NHL website

I've been extremely fortunate to have been able to spend 23 incredible years with the MSG Network channels and 21 equally enjoyable years--including 3 Stanley Cup championships--with the New Jersey Devils. However, considering the long-term significance of this decision, I was able to construct a lighter regular season-schedule and the usual complement of Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Final games for NBC and VERSUS.

But that assurance of less travel and fewer games has regrettably led me to end my association with the MSG Network channels and the Devils.

Guest Crymson

I guess he didn't want to DRIVE so much anymore.... etc. Or perhaps he got sick of Chico.

I don't like the guy anyway, though, and I wish Versus would stop using him as their primary PbP guy.

I'm likely in the minority here, but I like Doc. He's a bit repetitive, but to me he's that guy that's been calling games as long as you've been alive, and you'd like to see him stick around just because he's got so much experience. If I had it my way, Gary Thorne would be back doing NHL games. That guy was great.

I'm likely in the minority here, but I like Doc. He's a bit repetitive, but to me he's that guy that's been calling games as long as you've been alive, and you'd like to see him stick around just because he's got so much experience. If I had it my way, Gary Thorne would be back doing NHL games. That guy was great.

I'm with you. I enjoy the way he calls games and I like his voice. Most of his crappy catch phrases go unnoticed by me, probably because they don't bother me much.

Guest echos myron

Doc is great. He's a lot more tolerable on the Devils broadcast than nationally.

I think Doc Mike is great. He's got the stories (like locals Ken and Mickey do) but he's more aware of the play - Ken, Mick and Larry will tell a story for 45 seconds while play continues up and down the ice. Sometimes the story is worth it, sometimes it's not. Mike is a perfect balance between the American announcers that are "storytellers" and the dry Canadian announcers that only tell you what is happening on the ice.

When I want a to hear some great stories and don't need the play by play as much, I turn on Ken and Mick. When I want some play by play and player/team info with only a few stories, I'll watch Doc Mike. Plus, Doc Mike is no homer and has a great goal call for both teams.

I think Doc is great. Like him and his catchphrases or now you have to admit that he has a great voice and demeanor to be a hockey play by play guy. I personally think he has the best voice in hockey.

his voice is the worst part, nasally and screechy with no sense of when not to go over the top with a scream. They should just have bill clement do pbp, his voice is better than all of the pbb guys.

his voice is the worst part, nasally and screechy with no sense of when not to go over the top with a scream. They should just have bill clement do pbp, his voice is better than all of the pbb guys.

I miss the broadcast team of Gary Thorne and Bill Clement :(

I miss the broadcast team of Gary Thorne and Bill Clement :(

Clement Clement, hands of cement. :D That commercial always cracked me up. Too bad ESPN had to give up on hockey.

On topic, I don't really mind Doc, but I despise Pierre and Edzo. Maybe they could try luring Razor away from Dallas.

Clement Clement, hands of cement. :D That commercial always cracked me up. Too bad ESPN had to give up on hockey.

On topic, I don't really mind Doc, but I despise Pierre and Edzo. Maybe they could try luring Razor away from Dallas.

Classic. :thumbup:

I know he does a few games for Vesus (in the spring iirc). Guy has a great vocabulary. Sometimes i'll watch Stars games just to listen to him :lol:

Guest Crymson

pounds the snot out of doc and edzo with pierre

For sure. And the fact that they have two guys so obviously biased toward some teams as Pierre and Eddie are is proof of how incompetent NBC/Versus are. Listening to Edzo give commentary in two straight series for teams he loves (Pitt and Chicago) in the '09 playoffs was almost unbearable.

Edited by Crymson