• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hatethedrake!

Draper or Hudler?

Rate this topic

Draper or Hudler?  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Wow, I'm glad you understood what was said. I didn't say that Leino was working here or that he eventually would. I didn't even say that Hudler would eventually work here again. What I did say was that had cap space not been an issue in 2010 I dont think Holland would have moved Leino because he wasn't working here. The Wings exhaust every avenue to make it work with palyers they feel have skill and hockey smarts. It doesn't make sense to move Hudler now, when his value is rock bottom just as they did with Leino, only to see him flourish elsewhere when it's still possible for him to flourish here - especially not at the expense of a 40 year old who will surely retire next summer. Even if Hudler falls flat on his face this season it's still worth the gamble. That was the point...hopefully you get it this time.

:blink:

So Holland DIDN'T try to shop Hudler for picks at the draft?

So Holland DIDN'T try to shop Hudler for picks at the draft?

and when Holland was trying to deal him for picks, maybe he had planned to move up with those additional picks and grab someone like Larsson, or he had a deal in place which would have brought someone like Jerome Iginla here in return for those picks and one of our prospects, or he just wanted more money to make a pitch for Brad Richards and wanted assets at an optimal period... who knows the exact reasoning, but I'm sure it was part of a bigger picture, the fact is - that is the past and many variables have changed since then. As the current team stands, we are better with Hudler than Draper and anyone that can't see that is looking at this with blinders on.

Edited by stevkrause

Poll: Draper or Hudler? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Who would you rather have on the Red Wings?

Draper (26 votes [54.17%] - View)

Hudler (22 votes [45.83%] - View)

So here's my breakdown:

21 people are looking at this logically and chose Hudler

1 person (eva) chose Hudler, well, because, come on...

16 people have irrational Hudler hate and would take a goat on skates over him at this point

6 people love Draper and are rational people, but would admit they want Draper back just because of the love for him and would admit Hudler is a better option at this stage, but still chose Draper

4 people are still stuck in the late 90's and think Shanahan and Fedorov are still viable options and don't even know half the guys on the current team

Edited by stevkrause

Guest CaliWingsNut

and when Holland was trying to deal him for picks, maybe he had planned to move up with those additional picks and grab someone like Larsson, or he had a deal in place which would have brought someone like Jerome Iginla here in return for those picks and one of our prospects, or he just wanted more money to make a pitch for Brad Richards and wanted assets at an optimal period... who knows the exact reasoning, but I'm sure it was part of a bigger picture, the fact is - that is the past and many variables have changed since then. As the current team stands, we are better with Hudler than Draper and anyone that can't see that is looking at this with blinders on.

I said that mostly to counter the argument that keeping him for better value wasn't very valid.

This whole thread is like the choice between drinking an over aged wine and keeping a wine you know is lousy thinking aging it will make it worth more to someone else.

I realize long-term Hudler has more potential. However, that's just because he's younger. Draper is my choice for this season because of Hudler's performance last year (and how many games he was a healthy scratch), Holland shopping him at the draft, and the benefits on and off the ice that Draper can bring to the team.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

I said that mostly to counter the argument that keeping him for better value wasn't very valid.

This whole thread is like the choice between drinking an over aged wine and keeping a wine you know is lousy thinking aging it will make it worth more to someone else.

I realize long-term Hudler has more potential. However, that's just because he's younger. Draper is my choice for this season because of Hudler's performance last year (and how many games he was a healthy scratch), Holland shopping him at the draft, and the benefits on and off the ice that Draper can bring to the team.

He can bring the same benefits off the ice in another role with the team, don't get me wrong, I love Draper, but at this stage in his career and what he brings to the team ON the ice we already have players equal to, or better than, him in those aspects in Eaves, Helm, Abdelkader, Mursak, Miller and to some extent, even Emmerton... his role is filled, that's all there is to it, whereas we DO need scorers, something Hudler is (albeit not an INCREDIBLY effective one last year), he still fits the role... who's going to fill in on that top 6 role? Like it or not, Hudler can produce at least 40pts, which isn't easily just found on a roster....

Edited by stevkrause

The question is hard to answer, since both players are expendable at this point.

Draper will only play a year longer at most, and Hudler is just taking up roster space. So is Draper for that matter, when I think about it.

Agreed.

So I voted for the guy already under contract. Draper still has some qualities to offer, but with Eaves, Miller, and Abdelkader in the lineup they're redundant. Maybe Hudler will have a good season and pot some goals.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Agreed.

So I voted for the guy already under contract. Draper still has some qualities to offer, but with Eaves, Miller, and Abdelkader in the lineup they're redundant. Maybe Hudler will have a good season and pot some goals.

Like others have said, Hudler is in the last year on his contract, of course he will come up big...

So here's my breakdown:

16 people have irrational Hudler hate and would take a goat on skates over him at this point

6 people love Draper and are rational people, but would admit they want Draper back just because of the love for him and would admit Hudler is a better option at this stage, but still chose Draper

4 people are still stuck in the late 90's and think Shanahan and Fedorov are still viable options and don't even know half the guys on the current team

well said. but then again, why not just buy out Hudler since he's not worth the skates he puts on his feet? Afterall, everyone who watches hockey or has half a brain realizes that when a guy in his mid 20's has a bad season there's really no point in keeping him around.

I chose Hudler. He did have an awful season but I think he is more likely to come back and have a great season and be something valuable to the organization. I prefer Drapes over Huds but I think Hudler has more "left in the tank" and can bring more to the team longer. I'm hoping he goes bat s*** the first few months and when the trade deadline approaches, we will have something more expendable to trade.

thats like asking which one of my nuts ide rather cut off.

Thank god I already ate dinner.

Anyways, depends on how you approach it.

If you focus solely or primarily on now or immediate impact, I'd pick Draper. You know what you get from him pretty much every game with hustle and hard work. However, if he returns, it's all but his last year probably.

Long-term, it is Hudler without question. You don't know night in/out the effort or output you will get from him, I wouldn't miss him all that much if he got traded, but I think this is the year whether we know if last year was just subpar/an abberation, or if the KHL/adjustment affects him long-term.

If it was a given that Hudler was going to be traded, I'd go with Draper. But since that is not fully known, I'll pick Hudler, largely because he still has a lot of years left in him.

So here's my breakdown:

Actually I only chose Hudler so I would have a reason to post things about how awesome Filppula is. :(

Guest stinky fish taco

holland on draper:

"His role is not as important as it was two or three years ago,"

he's being generous since draper really hasn't been important in even longer, but i like the honesty.

I voted for Draper. I felt much more comfortable when he was on the ice than Hudler. Considering Hudler is supposed to be better offensively, last year he only scored 4 more goals than Draper and played in 30 more games than him. Draper isn't what he used to be, but in a limited role as a 3rd or 4th liner, he's still effective. Good on faceoffs, still has some speed, defensively responsible and he brought out the best in Darren Helm when they played on the same line.

Poll: Draper or Hudler? (84 member(s) have cast votes)

Draper (39 votes [51.32%] - View)

Hudler (37 votes [48.68%] - View)

My NEW Breakdown:

36 people are looking at this logically and chose Hudler

18 people have irrational Hudler hate and would take a goat on skates over him at this point

11 people love Draper and are rational people, but would admit they want Draper back just because of the love for him and would admit Hudler is a better option at this stage, but still chose Draper

2 people thought the question was "Which player is taller" and chose Draper

2 people clicked on the wrong button and can't figure out how to use the "Delete My Vote" button

1 person thought it said Drake and still wants him back

1 person just wants locker room hijinx to remain in tact and whip cream pies to the face to remain and chose Draper

Edited by stevkrause

YOU disagree with ME! YOU are, therefore, DELUSIONAL! YOUR opinion is DIFFERENT; therefore, it is WRONG!

Ok, got the Internet Poll Mindset out of the way.

I picked Draper.

No one knows whether or not the Chosen One will have a good or bad season, but at least with Draper, we get whipped cream.

YOU disagree with ME! YOU are, therefore, DELUSIONAL! YOUR opinion is DIFFERENT; therefore, it is WRONG!

Ok, got the Internet Poll Mindset out of the way.

I picked Draper.

No one knows whether or not the Chosen One will have a good or bad season, but at least with Draper, we get whipped cream.

I've read enough of your posts to know that you fall in this category - and there's nothing wrong with this mindset, I can appreciate it:

12 people love Draper and are rational people, but would admit they want Draper back just because of the love for him and would admit Hudler is a better option at this stage, but still chose Draper

The ones that drive me insane, are the ones that want Hudler gone at all costs and would vote for the other option regardless...

Edited by stevkrause