• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sputman

Winnipeg Jets' New Logo

Rate this topic

Why would they use the maple leaf? I get that they are a Canadian team and that they will never win a Cup, but why do they need to further associate themselves with Toronto.

The use of the maple leaf calls back to old Royal Canadian Air Force flier patches. As seen in the ideation portion of the brand book that they posted on the website. You can see the theme repeated throughout the logos seen on the page. To me, it just reinforces how badly they missed the mark.

identity-unveil-7-20_small_revised_July22_1-2170455643_slide.jpg

They tried to create a vector update of a classic looking badge and included only enough detail to put on display how much detail it truly lacks. It appears unfinished. I don't know why it doesn't say Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club around the crest, either. It honestly looks like it was put in the hands of someone that isn't strong with Illustrator.

I actually don't mind it- I think its a decent logo but in all honesty, it could look brilliant or terrible on a uniform. I want to see it on a jersey with all the patchwork before I decide. At first glance, i think it looks ok. Its certianly 100 percent better than the thrashers scary psycho bird they had!

Considering the instinctive reaction to a new Jets logo would be to hate it, they actually did quite well with this. Most comments from fans I've seen, especially of the Jets fans themselves, actually like it a lot.

I also give props to True North for being smart enough to use the Jets name but also bold enough to come up with something new to signify the new era.

The word logo leaves much to be desired but it will be the least commonly used. The shoulder patch (top right I'm assuming) is real solid and the crest is good. The colour scheme is rather unique with those dark reds and blues and it feels like it will look like an old school type of sweater once it's put on a jersey. Can't wait to see it in action.

You can take it to the bank that at some point in the future they'll introduce a 3rd jersey with the old logo though.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I need to look into this... but I don't think they own the rights to the old merch or logo...

I am 95% sure that the rights to that belongs to Coyotes, which belongs to the NHL... I never heard of them making a deal to acquire the rights to the old name or logo... which perplexes me.

Wouldn't it be funny if all the money they make selling old Jets stuff, or a portion of new Jets money (because they are using the name...,) end up going to the yotes?

I would laugh... but does anyone know how this meshes up legally?

The rights belong to the NHL and commissioner, however Bettman has said it was Winnipeg's if they wanted it.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article

I like the primary logo, and this comes from a guy that uses Illustrator every single day in my profession. It's clean, it's simple. Looks good. Not overly fond of the "winged" secondary one and the logotype for the other will have to grow on me.

identity-unveil-7-20_small_revised_July22_1-2170455643_slide.jpg

They tried to create a vector update of a classic looking badge and included only enough detail to put on display how much detail it truly lacks. It appears unfinished. I don't know why it doesn't say Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club around the crest, either. It honestly looks like it was put in the hands of someone that isn't strong with Illustrator.

Yeah, compared to the logo in the bottom right, the new Jets logo looks like a quick draft or sketch. I wonder if they even saw that old logo...its fantastic!

Guest echos myron

Glad they didn't go with the horrid old logo.

Oh wow, the J is a hockey stick. That isn't tacky.

Are circular blue logos becoming mandatory in the NHL these days? Seems like every team is introducing a logo like this.

The traditional Royal Canadian Air Force emblem is a blue roundel with a maple leaf and Winnipeg has had a strong association with the RCAF, so in the case of the Jets there's actually a legitimate reason for having it beyond 'it looks old-timey'.

Speaking of which, if the uniforms have a vintage-military-hockey-club feel to them it could actually look pretty damn good.

I don't hate it. It just doesn't really jump out at you at all.

EDIT: I'm with the rest of you. I think adding some script/text inside the blue circle would add to it a little more

Edited by RedFX

I'd probably remove the little cutout at the top of the blue circle, add "Winnepeg" to the top, and "Hockey Club" to the bottom of the circle. It's too plain right now.

I always liked this guy's design...I thought the concept was really well thought out:

Jets%202.jpg

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/british-designer-makes-pitch-for-revamped-jets-logo-123983709.html

Guest echos myron

Yup - it indeed does suck when compared to the old logo.

what do you think is good about the old logo

other than it's the old logo

I think the old logo sucked. A boeing 757 on the logo compared to a fighter jet? Come on people, there are a lot of people in Canada who like the logo alot because it symbolizes the military forces in Canada, not to mention the majority of people who dont like it are Americans, Its only a logo, who cares. When that team steps into the MTS Center Arena (Smallest arena in NHL) - that atmosphere is going to be insane and that logo will grow on everyone really quick.

Kinda tough to say one way or the other until I see it on a jersey. Initial thought though is that I would probably lump it in the middle as far as the Canadian teams are concerned along with Calgary & Edmonton. Maybe slightly ahead of those two but not as good as the Leafs & Habs & certainly better than the Sens & that ridiculous Orca the Canucks use.