Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Osgood should(n't) be included in the HoF...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

There is a ton of writers debating the merits of Chris Osgood and the Hall of Fame.

There might as well be a dedicated thread to this, as there might be a bunch of mileage on this topic over the years.

There can be many links to all the writers included, your take, or just vote on it.

Personally I think he should be in the Hall, and I believe This article is one of the best arguments for... you know besides his numbers.

So now that we all said thank you, and have reminisced of all the good times. We can talk about this respectfully.

At the very least, we can agree that is what Osgood deserves... a bit of respect.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#2 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,815 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

To me it boils down to being very good for a very long time, but never elite. Is that Hall Worthy?

My answer is, I honestly don't know. I'd be a little disappointed if he never got in, but I think he's definitely on the bubble so it wouldn't surprise me.

#3 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:47 AM

To me it boils down to being very good for a very long time, but never elite. Is that Hall Worthy?

My answer is, I honestly don't know. I'd be a little disappointed if he never got in, but I think he's definitely on the bubble so it wouldn't surprise me.

I agree with you, but I also think I'd be less disappointed if there wasn't such a strong campaign against him.

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#4 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:52 AM

When it comes to the Hall of Fame I don't go by stats alone. They are an important criteria. However when I think of Osgood's career, to me it is not Hall worthy. When I think of the Hockey Hall of Fame, I think of players such as Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, Roy, Orr...to name a few. No question with those guys. Their careers speak for themselves. Osgood played on some great teams and benefitted from it. But he still won those games and won those Cups. However I don't think you can look at Cups by itself. Draper won 4 Cups. Does this mean he is a better player than Marcel Dionne who won none? Of course not. 400 wins is 400 wins. But to me, Osgood was a good goaile but not great. To me you have to be great to be in the Hall of Fame. Andreychuk and Gartner to me were not great but they are in because of their numbers. Myself, I don't think either should be in. Likewise I don't think Osgood should be in.

Edited by Hatethedrake!, 23 July 2011 - 10:53 AM.

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#5 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:04 AM

Puck don't lie. Yes.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#6 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

He was never flashy enough to call attention to himself & was never considered "the best" when playing in an era with Roy & Brodeur. Despite that though, he's 10th all time in wins, has a GAA better than 6 of the top 10 (including Roy btw), & the 2nd best winning percentage of the top 10 behind Brodeur & slightly ahead of Roy. That says HoF worthy to me.

#7 R-Dizzle

R-Dizzle

Just warming up

• Gold Booster
  • 622 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

When it comes to the Hall of Fame I don't go by stats alone. They are an important criteria. However when I think of Osgood's career, to me it is not Hall worthy. When I think of the Hockey Hall of Fame, I think of players such as Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, Roy, Orr...to name a few. No question with those guys. Their careers speak for themselves. Osgood played on some great teams and benefitted from it. But he still won those games and won those Cups. However I don't think you can look at Cups by itself. Draper won 4 Cups. Does this mean he is a better player than Marcel Dionne who won none? Of course not. 400 wins is 400 wins. But to me, Osgood was a good goaile but not great. To me you have to be great to be in the Hall of Fame. Andreychuk and Gartner to me were not great but they are in because of their numbers. Myself, I don't think either should be in. Likewise I don't think Osgood should be in.

Didn't Grant Fuhr play with some pretty good teams? He was just inducted with just 403 wins, and 4 Cups. But he did win a Vezina.

Posted Image

#8 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:35 AM

The epitome of classiness and certainly gets in the mama's boy HOF as well. Yes and yes.

Edited by Shoreline, 23 July 2011 - 11:35 AM.

#9 ComradeWasabi

ComradeWasabi

the abdelgator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:55 AM

I get the feeling that some of the anti-Osgood sentiment around the NHL is just runoff from the anti-Red Wings sentiments out there.
QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 10:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

#10 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

One stat everyone keeps failing to mention -

A few years ago the Dallas Ice Girls voted on the cutest goalie in the league. Yep that's right. Osgood won it.

Look at any of the other goalies in the HoF. None of them have that particular distinguished accomplishment on their career resumes.
Posted Image

#11 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:44 PM

When it comes to the Hall of Fame I don't go by stats alone. They are an important criteria. However when I think of Osgood's career, to me it is not Hall worthy. When I think of the Hockey Hall of Fame, I think of players such as Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, Roy, Orr...to name a few. No question with those guys. Their careers speak for themselves.

Crap if you compare everyone to those players... there would be 10 players in the Hall of Fame.

Compare Osgood to the HoF goaltenders and he fits right in...

I also look at Ed Belfour being inducted... I think Osgood was a far greater goaltender than Belfour. The numbers don't support that, but I think he was a better athlete.

#12 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 308 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

Winning the cup is so hard and Osgood had great teams in front of him.
That said the man was stellar in both of his cup wins.
Watch as his acrobatics distract Tikkanen:
...but seriously, a good goalie can win a cup or even a few but a great one takes the time to realize they are not the best and work their ass off to get better.
For the most part, this is how i'll remember Osgood, always working to get better.
A undersized goalie that puts up these numbers and wins in all stages of his career, gotta be in the HoF.
I don't see another Wing wearing the 30 either. Official or not, 30 = Ozzy.

#13 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

Agree. I would like him to get in, but I don't expect it. I think it's 50-50.

#14 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:08 PM

Is Ozzie a HHOF goalie? No. Does he have HHOF numbers? Yes. Will he get in? Yes.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#15 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:25 PM

I doubt he's a first ballot inductee, but his numbers speak. I see him getting the nod in a "slow" year.

I don't necessarily agree with his number being permanently retired, but I wouldn't complain about it (much). I'm cool with it not being in circulation as long as he's with the team in some form (front of house included).

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 23 July 2011 - 03:26 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#16 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:01 PM

I voted no - as I would toss out at least 1/3 of the current Hall of Famers if I could.
He probably will make it in eventually, though.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#17 echos myron

echos myron

swag

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:06 PM

He's a lock for the HOF, with all his vezinas.

#18 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:10 PM

I think he should be in the HHOF for one simple reason. 3 Stanley Cups, if you look at this league there have been so many great players to play in this league that have never hoisted that Stanley Cup now I don't know if there are any players that are in the HOF that don't have a Cup or haven't done something very special to be there but 1 Cup is an accomplishment. 3 Cups I think that really says something; granted it takes a whole team to win Championships but it's always been said you have to have great goaltending to Win a Cup and he as been great many years. Has he ever been up to Sawchuck or Roy status? No, of course not but he's had is own list of accomplishments. So I'm bias for the Red Wings and their players but I think he should be in the Hall of Fame just becasue he has numerous Stanley Cup Rings.

#19 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

Yikes. Apparently this guy always writes biased articles against the Red Wings.

The case against Chris Osgood’s Hall of Fame candidacy

#20 mybeardismycopilot

mybeardismycopilot

Draftee

• 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

he deserves it
he will get in
but there are more than a few in front of him.