• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

Osgood should(n't) be included in the HoF...

Rate this topic

HoF Ozzie?  

124 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There is a ton of writers debating the merits of Chris Osgood and the Hall of Fame.

There might as well be a dedicated thread to this, as there might be a bunch of mileage on this topic over the years.

There can be many links to all the writers included, your take, or just vote on it.

Personally I think he should be in the Hall, and I believe This article is one of the best arguments for... you know besides his numbers.

So now that we all said thank you, and have reminisced of all the good times. We can talk about this respectfully.

At the very least, we can agree that is what Osgood deserves... a bit of respect.

To me it boils down to being very good for a very long time, but never elite. Is that Hall Worthy?

My answer is, I honestly don't know. I'd be a little disappointed if he never got in, but I think he's definitely on the bubble so it wouldn't surprise me.

I agree with you, but I also think I'd be less disappointed if there wasn't such a strong campaign against him.

Guest Hatethedrake!

When it comes to the Hall of Fame I don't go by stats alone. They are an important criteria. However when I think of Osgood's career, to me it is not Hall worthy. When I think of the Hockey Hall of Fame, I think of players such as Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, Roy, Orr...to name a few. No question with those guys. Their careers speak for themselves. Osgood played on some great teams and benefitted from it. But he still won those games and won those Cups. However I don't think you can look at Cups by itself. Draper won 4 Cups. Does this mean he is a better player than Marcel Dionne who won none? Of course not. 400 wins is 400 wins. But to me, Osgood was a good goaile but not great. To me you have to be great to be in the Hall of Fame. Andreychuk and Gartner to me were not great but they are in because of their numbers. Myself, I don't think either should be in. Likewise I don't think Osgood should be in.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

He was never flashy enough to call attention to himself & was never considered "the best" when playing in an era with Roy & Brodeur. Despite that though, he's 10th all time in wins, has a GAA better than 6 of the top 10 (including Roy btw), & the 2nd best winning percentage of the top 10 behind Brodeur & slightly ahead of Roy. That says HoF worthy to me.

When it comes to the Hall of Fame I don't go by stats alone. They are an important criteria. However when I think of Osgood's career, to me it is not Hall worthy. When I think of the Hockey Hall of Fame, I think of players such as Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, Roy, Orr...to name a few. No question with those guys. Their careers speak for themselves. Osgood played on some great teams and benefitted from it. But he still won those games and won those Cups. However I don't think you can look at Cups by itself. Draper won 4 Cups. Does this mean he is a better player than Marcel Dionne who won none? Of course not. 400 wins is 400 wins. But to me, Osgood was a good goaile but not great. To me you have to be great to be in the Hall of Fame. Andreychuk and Gartner to me were not great but they are in because of their numbers. Myself, I don't think either should be in. Likewise I don't think Osgood should be in.

Didn't Grant Fuhr play with some pretty good teams? He was just inducted with just 403 wins, and 4 Cups. But he did win a Vezina.

Guest Shoreline

The epitome of classiness and certainly gets in the mama's boy HOF as well. Yes and yes.

Edited by Shoreline

One stat everyone keeps failing to mention -

A few years ago the Dallas Ice Girls voted on the cutest goalie in the league. Yep that's right. Osgood won it.

Look at any of the other goalies in the HoF. None of them have that particular distinguished accomplishment on their career resumes.

When it comes to the Hall of Fame I don't go by stats alone. They are an important criteria. However when I think of Osgood's career, to me it is not Hall worthy. When I think of the Hockey Hall of Fame, I think of players such as Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, Roy, Orr...to name a few. No question with those guys. Their careers speak for themselves.

Crap if you compare everyone to those players... there would be 10 players in the Hall of Fame.

Compare Osgood to the HoF goaltenders and he fits right in...

I also look at Ed Belfour being inducted... I think Osgood was a far greater goaltender than Belfour. The numbers don't support that, but I think he was a better athlete.

Winning the cup is so hard and Osgood had great teams in front of him.

That said the man was stellar in both of his cup wins.

Watch as his acrobatics distract Tikkanen:

...but seriously, a good goalie can win a cup or even a few but a great one takes the time to realize they are not the best and work their ass off to get better.

For the most part, this is how i'll remember Osgood, always working to get better.

A undersized goalie that puts up these numbers and wins in all stages of his career, gotta be in the HoF.

I don't see another Wing wearing the 30 either. Official or not, 30 = Ozzy.

To me it boils down to being very good for a very long time, but never elite. Is that Hall Worthy?

My answer is, I honestly don't know. I'd be a little disappointed if he never got in, but I think he's definitely on the bubble so it wouldn't surprise me.

Agree. I would like him to get in, but I don't expect it. I think it's 50-50.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I doubt he's a first ballot inductee, but his numbers speak. I see him getting the nod in a "slow" year.

I don't necessarily agree with his number being permanently retired, but I wouldn't complain about it (much). I'm cool with it not being in circulation as long as he's with the team in some form (front of house included).

Edited by CaliWingsNut

I think he should be in the HHOF for one simple reason. 3 Stanley Cups, if you look at this league there have been so many great players to play in this league that have never hoisted that Stanley Cup now I don't know if there are any players that are in the HOF that don't have a Cup or haven't done something very special to be there but 1 Cup is an accomplishment. 3 Cups I think that really says something; granted it takes a whole team to win Championships but it's always been said you have to have great goaltending to Win a Cup and he as been great many years. Has he ever been up to Sawchuck or Roy status? No, of course not but he's had is own list of accomplishments. So I'm bias for the Red Wings and their players but I think he should be in the Hall of Fame just becasue he has numerous Stanley Cup Rings.

I'd like to know if some of these writers who don't think Ozzie is a Hall of Fame goalie, thinks if CuJo should be in there or not. My money says they probably say CuJo is a Hall of Fame goalie and they'll debate Ozzie, just because CuJo played in Toronto, despite not getting past the Conference Finals in two tries.

To me, Ozzie should be in there no question. CuJo should be the one there's a public debate about.