• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
KrazyGangsta

Would We Have Won In 2002 If ...

Rate this topic

Was just wondering since all the ozzie talks we're going, if we would win the cup in 2002 if we had Ozzie in nets over Hasek?

IMO I think he would of pulled it off, all tho Hasek was playing pretty darn good It's a hard call.

What's your opinion on this guys?

We came back from 0-2 against Vancouver. Hasek had a lot of huge saves in those games in Vancouver, one being a penalty shot from Bert when we were tied I think. We also won a game 3 in Colorado 2-1 in OT, not to mention Dom shutting out the Avs in a must win game 6 2-0. I think Hasek was the difference in the Colorado series and I don't think Ozzie could have bailed us out in those situations.

Could've, Should've, Would've...I understand wanting to debate this, and I hope its not to bring Osgood down any, but honestly you could say, IF to anything. I for one, believe Osgood should go to the HOF AND get his number retired by the Wings, but I do agree, if it weren't for Hasek, the Wings (even with all their HOF's) would not have beaten Colorado in 2002. Which just proves that "your gramma" could not have won playing behind the Wings, because even with the HOF's playing that year, they still needed Hasek to stand on his chin. Thus proving when Osgood won, it wasn't only because of the players in front of him, he won because of his abilities as well, and if it weren't for a MVP 3 on 5 shift by Zetterberg in 2008, Osgood would've hands down been the Conn Smythe winner. He still should've in my opinion, he came in and won like 9 games in a row or something like that. I know this is not a Osgood HOF debate, sorry...

Guest 13GoWings40

We came back from 0-2 against Vancouver. Hasek had a lot of huge saves in those games in Vancouver, one being a penalty shot from Bert when we were tied I think. We also won a game 3 in Colorado 2-1 in OT, not to mention Dom shutting out the Avs in a must win game 6 2-0. I think Hasek was the difference in the Colorado series and I don't think Ozzie could have bailed us out in those situations.

This

I think Ozzie might've pulled it off against Vancouver, but I don't see us coming back from down 3-2 against that Av's team with him in net

I don't think we would have won in 02 with Ozzie in net. Hasek had way more desire to win the Cup at that time than Ozzie did, being that Hasek had never won a cup before. In 01 if I remember correctly the Wings were kinda going through a rough patch especially in the playoffs having a 2-0 Series Lead Vs LA and haveing a 2-0 Lead in Game 3 of that series and than losing that game and three more games after it to be knocked out by the Kings. The team needed a revamp and all of those elements had to take place for the team to win. The Golden Brett, Lucky Luc, and the Dominator all had to come in for that team to do what it was built to do. Ozzie needed a revamp to and I think what helped make him even better was the fact that he wasn't behind a rock solid defense in NYI or St. Louis like he was in Detroit and that he had to learn to elevate his game and be a better goalie for those types of teams to win. He had to be the one to steal some games and come up with som great saves and I think in the end it helped him come back to Detroit and win another Cup in 08 with the Wings. So as much as I love Ozzie I don't think the Wings would have won in 02 if Ozzie was our goalie.

If you take post lock-out Ozzie back in time, then yes we would have won with him in 2002. Remember Ozzie didn't refine his style until the lockout year, that's what pushed him over the edge and made him come back better than ever.

If Roy didn't commit the Statue of Liberty Gaffe in game 6, perhaps no. But he did, so I'll say yes.

While definitely a topic of good discussion and debate, it is incredibly open ended/subjective that there's no really right or wrong answers here.

Guest Crymson

Was just wondering since all the ozzie talks we're going, if we would win the cup in 2002 if we had Ozzie in nets over Hasek?

IMO I think he would of pulled it off, all tho Hasek was playing pretty darn good It's a hard call.

What's your opinion on this guys?

Doubtful. Hasek was incredible.

If you take post lock-out Ozzie back in time, then yes we would have won with him in 2002. Remember Ozzie didn't refine his style until the lockout year, that's what pushed him over the edge and made him come back better than ever.

Osgood refined his style in time for the '07-'08 season.

This

I think Ozzie might've pulled it off against Vancouver, but I don't see us coming back from down 3-2 against that Av's team with him in net

you guys can't say ozzie couldn't have bailed us out, because we wouldn't have necessarily even been down 3-2 if he was in net. it would change everything, in every series.

Guest Crymson

F yeah we woulda won. did u see the 2002 roster?

The Avs had a similarly good roster.

Absolutely yes. While Hasek put on an excellent goaltending performance, he had the best roster of any Wings team to visit the finals in recent history, and the only performance it could be argued as better than of the six would be Osgood's 1998 performance.

Hasek had six shutouts in that postseason and put up a brick wall in back-to-back games when we were facing elimination against our arch-rival and their legendary goalie.

There's honestly no way to know for sure. The 02 team was the best of our recent Cup teams, but the 02 Avs were probably the best team we faced during any of those four playoff runs, no?

I don't think we win that Cup without Hasek. If you put 08 Osgood on that team, we win it. If you put 02 Osgood on that team, I really don't think we do. There's a reason they dumped Osgood and gave up a pretty darn good player and a high draft pick to go get Hasek. He delivered.

Edited by Packer487

Guest Shoreline

Yeah the team still would have won.

Things would have been different, however, if it were Dan Cloutier in goal. ;)

Guest Crymson

Especially the prior season against LA.

People have short memories around here.

He was garbage that year, and I agree. Hasek was brought in both because he was a legend and because Osgood was no longer playing to a sufficient standard in the playoffs

Nope, the Avs always whooped Osgood. I don't think he ever beat them and IMO he wasn't mentally tough enough back then to face those potent Avs teams. I think back then that's what seperated Osgood from Vernon/Hasek, you just got the sense that Vernon and Hasek were not as intimated by the Avs.