• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:33 PM

Osgood had not been good in the playoffs in prior seasons.

#22 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:59 PM

Since we'll never know, I say yes.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#23 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,340 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:00 PM

Osgood had not been good in the playoffs in prior seasons.

Especially the prior season against LA.

People have short memories around here.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#24 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:05 PM

He was garbage that year, and I agree. Hasek was brought in both because he was a legend and because Osgood was no longer playing to a sufficient standard in the playoffs

#25 Manoir

Manoir

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

Nope, the Avs always whooped Osgood. I don't think he ever beat them and IMO he wasn't mentally tough enough back then to face those potent Avs teams. I think back then that's what seperated Osgood from Vernon/Hasek, you just got the sense that Vernon and Hasek were not as intimated by the Avs.

#26 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:52 PM

Doubtful. Hasek was incredible.

Osgood refined his style in time for the '07-'08 season.

Actually Ozzie worked with a goalie coach in Novi all through the lockout. He credited him and Jim Bedard in an article. The goalie coach was a client of mine, I don't recall his name at the moment.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#27 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:33 PM

Don't forget Yzerman and Shanny were both injured, and Lapointe took a couple stupid penalties in that series.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#28 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:55 AM

Actually Ozzie worked with a goalie coach in Novi all through the lockout. He credited him and Jim Bedard in an article. The goalie coach was a client of mine, I don't recall his name at the moment.

Ozzie talked about how he refined his style before the '07-'08 season. It was the reason why he moved from oft-mediocrity in the prior two seasons to an all-star berth in 2008.

#29 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:06 AM

2008 Ozzie? Yes.

But Hasek was in incredible in that Colorado series, especially on the road in games 3 + 6. They weren't stand-on-your-head 48 save performances, but they were mistake-free in ultra-high pressure games against top, top quality opponents.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#30 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:00 AM

The Wings lost the series against LA because of failure to score on the power play in crucial situations. Osgood was blamed for the series loss because of the team's three-goal collapse the final six minutes of game four; in those six minutes, two goals were scored after Osgood made multiple point-blank saves, and another deflected to the net but not over the line, and was counted anyway. Following a scramble in front of the net about a minute into overtime, the uncovered Bryan Smolinski was able to wrist a shot past Osgood.

The Wings didn't score three goals in either of the following games, basically resulting in an "Ozzie wins the game for us if he's playing great. If he's not, we're out." This was the same Wings team that started the series with nine goals in two games.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#31 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,340 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:07 AM

The Wings lost the series against LA because of failure to score on the power play in crucial situations. Osgood was blamed for the series loss because of the team's three-goal collapse the final six minutes of game four; in those six minutes, two goals were scored after Osgood made multiple point-blank saves, and another deflected to the net but not over the line, and was counted anyway. Following a scramble in front of the net about a minute into overtime, the uncovered Bryan Smolinski was able to wrist a shot past Osgood.

The Wings didn't score three goals in either of the following games, basically resulting in an "Ozzie wins the game for us if he's playing great. If he's not, we're out." This was the same Wings team that started the series with nine goals in two games.

Did I say it was "all" his fault?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.