• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest 13GoWings40

Kris Draper announces retirement

Rate this topic

What I will remember most about Draper is that he was essentially the spokesman and morale officer for the Red Wings for most of his 17 seasons in Detroit. Steve Yzerman was captain for most of Draper’s tenure, but Yzerman didn’t enjoy talking to the media every day about every issue that affected the team or the NHL. Draper usually filled that role in Detroit. When the team was going well, Draper was there to praise teammates. When the team was going poorly, Draper made himself available to explain what went wrong and how the team was going to turn around. He was the player who spread the message of composure that was probably directed at his teammates, as well as the fans and media. Draper always seemed to know what to say.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/allen/2011-07-25-nhl-kris-draper-tribute_n.htm

So who's going to try to fill that role? Draper had quite a big voice in the locker room and he was always talking.

So who's going to try to fill that role? Draper had quite a big voice in the locker room and he was always talking.

Kronwall does a lot of media talking. He's not as good as Drapes, but I have a feeling he'll be the one stepping into that role.

McCarty recalled numerous fires that had to be extinguished due to Draper and Maltby.

“You’d hop into a pile and there’d be pushing and shoving. I’d come in and grab somebody or step in the way and the guy would say, ‘I’m going to (bleeping) kill Draper, Maltby is such a (expletive),’ ” McCarty said. “I’d say, ‘I can’t agree with you more, but you’re not going to touch them now. You got to deal with me.’

:lol:

“Joey was always the best because he’d come in and grab three at the same time like little kids and say, ‘What are you guys doing?’

“It made us that much tougher to play against.”

Double :lol:. Nice little quote to make the staunch enforcer crowd sigh a little bit.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/07/how_kris_draper_the_grind_line.html

Stuart, I imagine. He's not as media-friendly, but apparently he's a big presence in the locker room.

Edited by VM1138

Kronwall does a lot of media talking. He's not as good as Drapes, but I have a feeling he'll be the one stepping into that role.

Yep. Z, Bear and Kronner, according to Bear. Although among those three I'd say Kronner gets the most enjoyment out of addressing the media while I'd say Z gets the least.

“It’s going to take a couple of us to fill his one voice,” Cleary said, smiling.

Then he got serious.

“Listen, it’s probably going to fall on myself, Hank, probably Kronwall, too,” he said. “We’ll be OK.”

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2011-07-26/henrik-zetterberg-pavel-datsyuk-detroit-red-wings-kris-draper-chris-ogood#ixzz1TJ3hrqOO

<------<<

And if they don't listen he can just give them the look.:scared:

Seriously, I read a comment on another board that summed it up best: What player that's played with Detroit for the last 15yrs or so retires with a bad career. Thanks for the memories Drapes.

Edited by softshoes