• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#21 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:17 PM

Great competitor, great wheels, great in faceoffs.

Had some pretty good hands, too (had a 24 goal season). With another, lesser team I'm sure he would have been a second liner but he was content to play a supporting role on a winning team - the ultimate team player.

Wow that make Lids and Homer as the only players left from the 97/98 Cup teams

Still probably more of a holdover than the 2009-2010 Hawks vs the 2011-12 Hawks.

#22 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:25 PM

I hope his decision isn't based on the results of that poll.

Posted Image

Money, well spent.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#23 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:27 PM

#24 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:28 PM

This one has been picking up some minuses, but how could you disagree?

We needed these guys to bow out at some point, and these guys (Malts, Drap, Raffi, Ozzie) showed alot of class and humility when they decided to hang them up.

Just because the guys who are replacing them havent shown what they can do yet, they will this season. They just need their chance.

Im really looking forward to this season.

When they call me and ask my opinion, and I am sitting by the phone waiting, I'll suggest to them they keep Draper and get rid of Hudler.

:::crickets:::

But I think I'm serious. And thanks to all who came up with the reasons why Drapes will always be a class act. :thumbup:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#25 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:32 PM

I'll miss his speed. He was huge for us in the 08 cup run. Always brought his best to the ice. Glad he was able to mentor the youngsters too.

With him and Ozzie leaving, the locker room just got a lot less funny.

One of the classic Wings players, thanks Drapes.

Posted Image

#26 zombi

zombi

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

Sad to another memory of the "Old Guard" gone, but it was definitely time.

Just Lids and Homer are left...

Posted Image

#27 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

Posted Image

#28 legaleaglewingsfan

legaleaglewingsfan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

Sad to see the last of the Grind Line retire, but the contributions left by the "old guard" will be felt for a while yet. In their twilight seasons all of these guys have mentored and taught their trade to the young guns. That is what makes us the class of the League and builds 2 decades of postseason appearances. Congrats on a great career Drapes, thank you thank you thank you for all the memories, and I hope to see you at a recognition night this coming season along with Oz,

Query, is it possible to recognize the Grind Line in some manner at the Joe, I realize none were to Number Retirement level (#5 will be the next) but I would love to see some memorialization of that group of guys. Just IMHO.

Regardless thanks again Drapes.

#29 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,065 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

Hell of a career by Kris Draper. It'll be sad to see him go. Only one guy left from the 90's era now...sad off-season in many ways, but I'm excited for the future of this team. I'm also glad that we keep guys like Draper, Osgood, Maltby, etc. in the organization.

this offseason just gets better and better.

Congratulations on receiving the first negative I have ever bothered to give out.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#30 maltbymaniac

maltbymaniac

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

A man who always stood up for his team, and payed for it with his face. A true modern day warrior.

Thanks for all you have done over the years we will miss you #33

thats one thing one can never forget,draper scoring a goal with his beard.lol good times!!

sig by saran,Thanks

#31 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:30 PM

Hell of a career by Kris Draper. It'll be sad to see him go. Only one guy left from the 90's era now...sad off-season in many ways, but I'm excited for the future of this team. I'm also glad that we keep guys like Draper, Osgood, Maltby, etc. in the organization.

Congratulations on receiving the first negative I have ever bothered to give out.

Sad to say Holmstrom is still paying <_<

#32 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

Great player, great leader, great teammate, great human being

end of an era... it's sad, but it was time...

Best of luck in the front office Drapes, luckily, I think a couple faces around the office will be familiar for you :)

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#33 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

Much like the Ozzy thread, it's more about not being an ******* than the actual truth of the statement.

A-effing-men.

Sad to say Holmstrom is still paying <_<

Yep, he's still paying - the high price of being the best net-front presence in the league. I'm glad that he's still playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4s9jbW3JhY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTE6IihYY-A

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#34 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

A man who always stood up for his team, and payed for it with his face. A true modern day warrior.
Thanks for all you have done over the years we will miss you #33

As a Rush fan, I have to do this....

A modern day warrior, mean mean stride. Today's Kris Draper, mean mean pride...

#35 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:02 PM

Not much else to say than what was said when Ozzie called it a day. These are the guys that helped make the Red Wings what they are today. Much respect to Draper, and happy trails.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#36 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:13 PM

Another classic Wings player gone.

As a huge fan of Draper, I really wish he could've stayed another year. He and Kenny know better than us, though

Best of luck, Drapes.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#37 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

I wish Draper all the best. I have many fond memories of him in the red wings uniform and to this day still look up some of those old wings avs games.

I'm glad he was on our team and he will be remembered.

#38 IrishWing19

IrishWing19

Token Irishman

• PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:28 PM

All the best in retirement Drapes, I hope that Kenny will keep you on as playoff beard consultant.

#39 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:34 PM

To all the "retire already" Draper-haters, lay off. Drapes looked great this year and worked his tail off when at times most the team was taking nights off. He looked 10 years younger this year and I wouldn't have thought twice about letting Miller walk and letting Draper and Emmerton split his time. I think with how long Maltby was around, Draper got shafted.

#40 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,025 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

Thank you for everything Kris, gonna miss seeing 33 on the ice, but it was time. Gonna be funny to see him and Malts sitting together in the press box at games, all the old guard are starting to retire but they'll never really leave the Wings.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan, 25 July 2011 - 03:48 PM.

#NOMOREKINDL