#61 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,403 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:47 PM

NHL.com Frozen moment of the day: Link

Posted Image

Precious memories, precious children.. I am glad they're old enough to remember the fun. :thumbup:

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#62 crispychris

crispychris

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:05 PM

I love Draper. I love how he plays the game, how he keeps him self in amazing shape, what a great teammate he is, and how he conducts him self off the ice. He has done so very much for the Red Wings and the city of Detroit and I'm sure he will be missed in the locker room. I know I will miss watching him play. I'm 32 and I've been been watching him play for a long time. Man, it's hard to think of the Wings without #33. It's hard to think of him as 40 years old. The NHL today is a young man's game, and a young man Draper is not. THANK YOU KRIS DRAPER!!!!!! I wish you the very best!!!

LETS GO RED WINGS!!!!!!!!!!

#63 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:50 PM

The Best of Kris Draper | freep.com

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#64 winger30

winger30

Rookie

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:40 PM

Sad to see him go he will be missed! My how the team has changed since I started watching the wings.
Balanced is probably what I am, although that's just a polite way to say that you don't do anything very well.
Steve Yzerman

VK/SM believe!

#65 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:07 AM

The Best of Kris Draper | freep.com

Hey, thanks for that, good stuff. I'd like to see a little Ozzie/Drapes combined tribute...maybe the official Wings site will make one. Well, now its just Lids and Homer from the old guard... :(

So, who is still playing from the old days? I see Stacey Roest is playing in Switzerland...Anders Eriksson is playing in Sweden...does anyone remember Golubovsky? Hes playing in Austria. And of course Kozlov and Fedorov are playing in the Motherland. The only guys who are from the 97/98 and 98/99 teams not playing overseas are Philippe Audet (I didn't even remember him??) who is playing in the LNAH league in Quebec, and Mike Knuble, who of course is playing for the Caps. Pretty small group. I probably overlooked someone.
IPB Image

#66 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:53 AM

Sad, sad day. Draper was a true warrior and one of those players who took what little he had and through sheer hard work, determination and sacrifice made it into a glorious NHL career.

Although his on-ice product had been in decline for a couple of years, off-ice he is going to be missed enormously. He was one of the few vocal leaders on a team of quiet leaders, and his commitment to off-ice fitness was both an inspiration and lesson to everyone else in the locker-room. When he came back to Detroit after bouncing around the league for a few years, JWill said that Draper (and Datsyuk) were the best conditioned athletes he'd ever seen.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#67 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:44 AM

Sad to say Holmstrom is still paying <_<

I'd love to argue with you, but he might need to hang the skates after this season. Between his age starting to show and completely unfair enforcement of "interference" his effectiveness has been greatly reduced.

#68 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

It's Now or Never, Kenny....

• Silver Booster
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

It's shameful that we've come to a point where Ericsson is making 3.5, Hudler is still a wing, and Draper is forced to retire. Sad times indeed.

You will be missed Mr.33

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#69 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:35 AM

I'd love to argue with you, but he might need to hang the skates after this season. Between his age starting to show and completely unfair enforcement of "interference" his effectiveness has been greatly reduced.

I imagine that Lidstrom and Holmstrom will only play one more season.

Sad to see Drapes go. We all saw it coming, but it still sucks. He played well last season, but we just ran out of roster space for him. Veteran of the Avalanche wars and the '90 Cup runs, he was one of the players that really made me a die-hard fan back in the late 90s, he was fun to watch.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#70 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:53 AM

Another good decision by our older guys. Kris has been great for this team for a long time, he's been a big part of our 4 most recent Cups. I'll never forget the goal he scored in OT in Game 2 of the 98 Cup Finals Vs Washington. It's his time to hang them up. We can't afford to keep losing good young prospects without giving them a shot in the NHL. Emmerton deserves a shot and I think he will do well. Best of Luck Drapes.

#71 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:40 AM

feed anywhere? he was just on the wrif talking about retirement. already sounds emotional.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#72 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:46 AM

feed anywhere? he was just on the wrif talking about retirement. already sounds emotional.

www.detroitredwings.com

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#73 echos myron

echos myron

swag

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

finally

#74 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:07 AM

The live feed is starting on detroitredwings.com.

#75 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:31 AM

by god ilitch looks like someone's great-grandmother.

:blink:
Posted Image

#76 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:35 AM

Dear Kris Draper,

Thank-you.

Sincerely,
Jersey Wing

Edited by Jersey Wing, 26 July 2011 - 10:38 AM.

Detroit would like to welcome the Eastern Conference

13416406403_264f5aaa63_o.jpg

#77 Cruiser008

Cruiser008

Headed to the Rafters

• Silver Booster
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

Truly the end of an era... he was the last of the grinders and one of my favourite Wings. Thanks for everything Drapes!

#78 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

Draper: "I'm excited about my new role with the team..*looks over at holland*.. have we got a title for that yet?
Holland: "Not yet."

haha
Posted Image

#79 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:48 AM

some great lines:

Ilitch: "I never dreamt I'd get a player for the cost of a smoothie at McDonald's."

Draper: "I'm going to continue to train because dan cleary thinks he's the best conditioned detroit red wing and that can't happen."
Posted Image

#80 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

I like how he thanked and named everyone in the organization he regularly saw/talked to.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain