• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#101 plopster

plopster

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

there should be a t-shirt that says something like "33 - The most bang for 1 buck"
mccarty3

#102 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:10 PM

Posted Image

What is up with Illitch's hair? Is that a wig from the Phil Spector "Wall of Sound" collection?

Fair winds and following seas, Drapes. Hope to see you hanging around Joe Louis this coming season.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#103 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:41 PM

What I will remember most about Draper is that he was essentially the spokesman and morale officer for the Red Wings for most of his 17 seasons in Detroit. Steve Yzerman was captain for most of Draper’s tenure, but Yzerman didn’t enjoy talking to the media every day about every issue that affected the team or the NHL. Draper usually filled that role in Detroit. When the team was going well, Draper was there to praise teammates. When the team was going poorly, Draper made himself available to explain what went wrong and how the team was going to turn around. He was the player who spread the message of composure that was probably directed at his teammates, as well as the fans and media. Draper always seemed to know what to say.

http://www.usatoday....r-tribute_n.htm

So who's going to try to fill that role? Draper had quite a big voice in the locker room and he was always talking.

#104 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

Now for Grind Line II- Abdelkader, Helm, Miller or Mursak.

The Winged Wheel lives on.

Congratulations on the great career, Drapes. The Joe's doors are open any time you want by.

Abdelkader - Helm - Eaves

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#105 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,912 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for everything, Drapes.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#106 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:19 AM

So who's going to try to fill that role? Draper had quite a big voice in the locker room and he was always talking.

Kronwall does a lot of media talking. He's not as good as Drapes, but I have a feeling he'll be the one stepping into that role.

#107 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:00 AM

McCarty recalled numerous fires that had to be extinguished due to Draper and Maltby.

“You’d hop into a pile and there’d be pushing and shoving. I’d come in and grab somebody or step in the way and the guy would say, ‘I’m going to (bleeping) kill Draper, Maltby is such a (expletive),’ ” McCarty said. “I’d say, ‘I can’t agree with you more, but you’re not going to touch them now. You got to deal with me.’

:lol:

“Joey was always the best because he’d come in and grab three at the same time like little kids and say, ‘What are you guys doing?’

“It made us that much tougher to play against.”

Double :lol:. Nice little quote to make the staunch enforcer crowd sigh a little bit.

http://www.mlive.com...grind_line.html

#108 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:10 AM

Stuart, I imagine. He's not as media-friendly, but apparently he's a big presence in the locker room.

Edited by VM1138, 27 July 2011 - 07:10 AM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#109 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:21 AM

Kronwall does a lot of media talking. He's not as good as Drapes, but I have a feeling he'll be the one stepping into that role.

Yep. Z, Bear and Kronner, according to Bear. Although among those three I'd say Kronner gets the most enjoyment out of addressing the media while I'd say Z gets the least.

“It’s going to take a couple of us to fill his one voice,” Cleary said, smiling.

Then he got serious.

“Listen, it’s probably going to fall on myself, Hank, probably Kronwall, too,” he said. “We’ll be OK.”

Read more: http://aol.sportingn...d#ixzz1TJ3hrqOO

#110 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,912 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#111 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:02 PM

So who alternates the 'A' this season in Drapes' stead? My guess is Kronwall after he wore it (once) last year.

#112 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:55 PM

<------<<

And if they don't listen he can just give them the look.:scared:

Seriously, I read a comment on another board that summed it up best: What player that's played with Detroit for the last 15yrs or so retires with a bad career. Thanks for the memories Drapes.

Edited by softshoes, 27 July 2011 - 04:56 PM.

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#113 plopster

plopster

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:30 PM

Come on matt, how bout that t-shirt. "33 the most bang for 1 buck"
mccarty3

#114 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:50 PM

Who the hell is Bear?

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#115 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:57 PM

Who the hell is Bear?

esteef

I was wondering the same thing.

#116 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:01 AM

Who the hell is Bear?

esteef

That would be good ol Danny Cleary!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#117 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:50 AM

Great article about Drapes!

http://detnews.com/a...0360/1128/rss16

What a great guy! They don't come any better than him.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons