• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Dave Strader Leaves Coyotes Broadcasting

Rate this topic

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=569814

GLENDALE --

As I’ve recently completed working my 25th season of TV play-by-play in the National Hockey League, I have some news. I have accepted a multi-year offer from NBC Sports Group to be a full-time play-by-play announcer for their NHL package that begins a 10-year run this fall. While there are many factors, both personal and professional, that went into my final decision, it’s not going to be easy to say goodbye to all the wonderful people I’ve worked with in Phoenix over the past four seasons.[/Quote]

Doc Emrick, Strader, and Pierre McGuire, all making exclusive commitments to NBC for this upcoming season... anyone else get the feeling NBC brass demanded exclusivity from some of their broadcasters? I don't know if Eddie Olcyzk does Chicago broadcasts still, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's forced to make a decision before the season starts too.

Awesome, Strader is an upgrade for Versus/NBC. It looks like this new re-named and re-launched Versus channel might be pretty impressive. A regular ESPN rival, if you will. NBC/Comcast is positioning for MLS rights and the World Cup, more College sports, the new NFL thursday games, perhaps even some MLB rights. And of course they have Olympic rights, so I think we'll finally have decent, dedicated hockey coverage for Sochi. Maybe we'll even have the Worlds broadcast in the US for a change.

Just think, they were showing Star Trek on this channel just a few years ago. :lol:

Doc Emrick, Strader, and Pierre McGuire, all making exclusive commitments to NBC for this upcoming season... anyone else get the feeling NBC brass demanded exclusivity from some of their broadcasters? I don't know if Eddie Olcyzk does Chicago broadcasts still, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's forced to make a decision before the season starts too.

I wouldn't completely surprised but I think Eddie O is pretty safe splitting duties. Although the more NBC hires permanent people, the less room there is for freelance or contracted announcers - with Doc and Strades hired full time there's no reason to bring in outside play-by-play guys like Ken Daniels, et. al. to call a game here or there.

Of the NBC exclusive hires you mentioned:

Doc left the Devils because he was tired of the daily grind and travel of an 82 game season. Not to mention the future is a bit wobbly for the Devils and will become downright bleak once Brodeur retires in the next couple seasons.

Without stable ownership in Phoenix who knows what will happen next or where it will happen (Hamilton, Ontario?), I think Dave got out while the gettin' was good. Darren Pang left them a couple years ago for the very same reason.

As for Pierre McGuire - who knows? He may be feeling lucky someone offered him a job at all. He's not terrible, he's just another talking head who used to be in the game, and those guys are easy to replace.

Awesome, Strader is an upgrade for Versus/NBC. It looks like this new re-named and re-launched Versus channel might be pretty impressive. A regular ESPN rival, if you will. NBC/Comcast is positioning for MLS rights and the World Cup, more College sports, the new NFL thursday games, perhaps even some MLB rights. And of course they have Olympic rights, so I think we'll finally have decent, dedicated hockey coverage for Sochi. Maybe we'll even have the Worlds broadcast in the US for a change.

Just think, they were showing Star Trek on this channel just a few years ago. :lol:

They're renaming Versus again? :huh:

In April 2011, it was announced Versus would be changing its name within 90 days to a name including "NBC" to reflect the NBC/Comcast merger; the first step included closing the Versus website, redirecting it to NBC Sports on MSNBC.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Where have you been?

versus.com has redirected to nbcsports.msnbc.com for months now.