• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:46 PM

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman's salary has more than doubled since the 2004-05 lockout with his current salary at $7.5 million for the fiscal year ending June 30 of last year, according to SportsBusiness Journal.

Bettman received a 4 percent increase during the 2009-10 season. The league's most recent tax filing showed $5,787,524 in base salary, $826,369 in other compensation, $877,587 in deferred compensation and $25,988 in benefits.

According to the report, Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig earns $18.35 million annually and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell earns $10.9 million. NBA commissioner David Stern's salary is not reported publicly but is believed to be more than $10 million.

Bettman was paid $3.7 million the year of the lockout, but total revenue generated by the NHL, NHL Enterprises and member clubs has increased from $2.1 billion to $2.9 billion during that period, according to SportsBusiness Journal.

The tax filing also showed NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly's pay increased 7.4 percent to more than $2 million and senior vice president Colin Campbell earned $1.5 million.

http://espn.go.com/n...led-nhl-lockout
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#2 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman's salary has more than doubled since the 2004-05 lockout with his current salary at $7.5 million for the fiscal year ending June 30 of last year, according to SportsBusiness Journal.

Bettman received a 4 percent increase during the 2009-10 season. The league's most recent tax filing showed $5,787,524 in base salary, $826,369 in other compensation, $877,587 in deferred compensation and $25,988 in benefits.

According to the report, Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig earns $18.35 million annually and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell earns $10.9 million. NBA commissioner David Stern's salary is not reported publicly but is believed to be more than $10 million.

Bettman was paid $3.7 million the year of the lockout, but total revenue generated by the NHL, NHL Enterprises and member clubs has increased from $2.1 billion to $2.9 billion during that period, according to SportsBusiness Journal.

The tax filing also showed NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly's pay increased 7.4 percent to more than $2 million and senior vice president Colin Campbell earned $1.5 million.

http://espn.go.com/n...led-nhl-lockout

I would rather have Brad Richards for 6.6 mil

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#3 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:51 PM

No wonder it took Stamkos so long to agree to his contract, I'd want more then Buttman if I was him too! :ph34r::hehe:

#NOMOREKINDL

#4 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

This is a big LOL :thumbdown:

#5 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

The owners all like the job he is doing. I say good for him. I just hope that there isn't a lockout when the CBA expires. We don't need another debacle like we had last time the CBA expired.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#6 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:25 PM

Geez, here we all thought Ericsson's contract was bad.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#7 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:16 PM

Reasonable salary, really. He probably does just as much work as any athlete, constant meetings, planning, public affairs, travel, etc. I'm pretty sure Bettman probably lives his job and puts in as much time and a lot of travel as the athletes do.

Whatever our feelings of Bettman, the fact is he has overseen the rebuilding of the sport into a much more marketable, and arguably more popular version nationally. At least he did something (as much as I hate to admit it) to earn the raise, unlike some of our other corporate CEOs who profit while their companies implode.

And this will probably be the one and only time you see me defend Bettman.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#8 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:25 PM

Sure that is what he's making this year but whats his cap hit?
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#9 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:57 AM

It sounds a lot, but in the unreal world of executive salaries it really isn't. The CEO of my employers got a $27M bonus last year :ranting:
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#10 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:54 AM

I'll give him 7.5 cents to go away.
Posted Image

#11 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:37 AM

Geez, here we all thought Ericsson's contract was bad.

Damn you GoWings1905, you beat me to it! That is exactly what I was going to say!

#12 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:44 AM

Pound-for-pound, he's the world's most expensive manure spreader.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#13 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:31 AM

The owners all like the job he is doing. I say good for him. I just hope that there isn't a lockout when the CBA expires. We don't need another debacle like we had last time the CBA expired.

The players won't make $$$ if there's a lock-out for the 2012/2013 season.

The owners won't make $$$ either.

Will Gary get his paycheck?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#14 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:58 AM

Sure that is what he's making this year but whats his cap hit?

and you have to factor in the fact that it's a 35+ contract, so no cap relief for early retirement

I wonder if it's a front loaded contract?

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#15 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:02 AM

Terrible overpayment.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#16 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

So he makes almost as much as the NFL and NBA commissioners. That seems out of whack to me given that the total value of those leagues is probably much higher than the NHL's.

#17 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

Here is an idea. Since he basically owns the Yotes, he should give his salary directly to the payroll so they can actually sign players up to the cap, get better, and stay there like he keeps harping on about!
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#18 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

The players won't make $$$ if there's a lock-out for the 2012/2013 season.

The owners won't make $$$ either.

Will Gary get his paycheck?

I remember reading somewhere that Gary didn't get a paycheck either during the lockout. He could have made money, but he instead opted to not get paid. I believe that he donated it to charity or something like that. It has been a while since I read that source, I will see if I can find it. That makes sense actually because if the NHL isn't making money, then he shouldn't make any either.

Edited by Nightfall, 26 July 2011 - 01:02 PM.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#19 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:33 PM

To put this in perspective, since the lockout Bettman's salary doubled and Datsyuk's did not.

#20 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:01 PM

So another bash Bettman thread... how original...
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".