• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:07 PM

Here is an idea. Since he basically owns the Yotes, he should give his salary directly to the payroll so they can actually sign players up to the cap, get better, and stay there like he keeps harping on about!

Sigh... how many times does it need to be explained. Bettman (as much as I dislike him) is not responsible for the Yotes not moving... GLENDALE IS.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#22 redwingcapt

redwingcapt

redwingcapt

• PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

Really since 2005 (the lockout) till now do you know how popular our game has become compared to what it once was. There is a hell of a lot more NHL talk nationally than ever before. Just think Nashville Tennessee is a hockey market now.
To whom much is given, much is expected

#23 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

Did you know that Gary Bettman, the shamed Commissioner of the NHL, made $7.23 Million in 2008-2009?!! What the hell is going on?? If we compare that to the latest 2010/2011 salaries of the highest paid NHL Players, that would put him at #20 on the list, just edging out Joe Thornton! Now, granted it's not as high as MLB Commissioner Bud Selig ($18.35 million) or NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell ($10.9 million), but damn, I'm realistic and we're talking about hockey here. You know, still to this day I wonder how Bettman continues to keep his job... he truly is the definition of douchebag. Just ask Ron MacLean or Don Cherry, or any Winnipeger, Quebecer, or Ontarian, or Canadian overall for that matter.

Here's the article from the Toronto Sun, it has more details on Bettman and the other NHL Executives' Salaries:

Bettman tops $7M in pay Commissioner Gary Bettman's pay package increased to $7.23 million US in 2008-09, the SportsBusiness Journal reported Monday. While his pay rose just 1.7% from the previous season, Bettman's compensation has almost doubled since his pre-lockout total of $3.77 million. Following are NHL executives' salaries for 2008-09 as reported by SportsBusiness Journal based on tax filings:

Commissioner Gary Bettman $7,230,783

Deputy commissioner Bill Daly $1,910,402

Director of hockey operations Colin Campbell $1,389,142

Chief financial officer Craig Harnett $938,367

Chief operating officer John Collins $878,226

Strategist Ed Horne, who is no longer with the league, $794,238

General counsel David Zimmerman $577,394

EVP, finance, Joseph DeSousa $520,299

Director of officiating Stephen Walkom, who is no longer with the league, $488,736

SVP, hockey operations, Mike Murphy, $440,317

In tribute to those NHL Players who fell just behind Bettman in Salary, here is the list of the Top 20 players after him on this list and their salaries:

Joe Thornton - $7.2 Million

Brian Campbell - $7 Million

Daniel Alfredsson - $7 Million (Up yours, Alfredsson!!!)

Daniel Briere - $7 Million

Jean-Sebastien Giguere - $7 Million (Are you serious?!!)

Jarome Iginla - $7 Million

Mikka Kiprusoff - $7 Million

Dion Phaneuf - $7 Million

Mark Savard - $7 Million

Kimmo Timonem - $7 Million

Patrick Marleau - $6.9 Million

Pavel Datsyuk - $6.7 Million

Dan Boyle - $6.67 Million

Jay Bouwmeester - $6.6 Million

Paul Stastny - $6.6 Million

Shawn Horcoff - $6.5 Million

Patrick Kane - $6.5 Million

Wade Redden - $6.5 Million

Jonathan Toews - $6.5 Million

Mike Richards - $6.4 Million

Thomas Vanek - $6.4 Million

Is it just me, or don't you wish that Ron MacLean would just body check Gary Bettman head first into the camera every time he grabs his arm when Ron asks a tough question?!!

#24 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:16 PM

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman's salary has more than doubled since the 2004-05 lockout with his current salary at $7.5 million for the fiscal year ending June 30 of last year, according to SportsBusiness Journal.

Bettman received a 4 percent increase during the 2009-10 season. The league's most recent tax filing showed $5,787,524 in base salary, $826,369 in other compensation, $877,587 in deferred compensation and $25,988 in benefits.

According to the report, Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig earns $18.35 million annually and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell earns $10.9 million. NBA commissioner David Stern's salary is not reported publicly but is believed to be more than $10 million.

Bettman was paid $3.7 million the year of the lockout, but total revenue generated by the NHL, NHL Enterprises and member clubs has increased from $2.1 billion to $2.9 billion during that period, according to SportsBusiness Journal.

The tax filing also showed NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly's pay increased 7.4 percent to more than $2 million and senior vice president Colin Campbell earned $1.5 million.

http://espn.go.com/n...led-nhl-lockout

$7.5 million dollars? To do what, exactly? Sit in an office with his thumbs up his ass? Can someone point to me what it is he does to earn this paycheck? I know what our guys do to earn their money.....how about we have some forensic accountants pour over Bettman's financials to see where this money is coming from and where it's going.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#25 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

So another bash Bettman thread... how original...

Another complaint about bashing Bettman...How original...

If you're not interested in commenting, don't. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others shouldn't either.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#26 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:22 AM

$7.5 million dollars? To do what, exactly? Sit in an office with his thumbs up his ass? Can someone point to me what it is he does to earn this paycheck? I know what our guys do to earn their money.....how about we have some forensic accountants pour over Bettman's financials to see where this money is coming from and where it's going.

He's doing pretty well for having his thumbs up his ass.

Posted Image

#27 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

Geez, here we all thought Ericsson's contract was bad.

Ericsson's contract is bad. Bettman was hired to increase the popularity and range of the NHL, and it has always been his job to increase profits and revenue. He has excelled at that.

Sure that is what he's making this year but whats his cap hit?

Have you SEEN his hairline?
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#28 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:09 PM

Running a hockey team is a tough job.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#29 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

Another complaint about bashing Bettman...How original...

If you're not interested in commenting, don't. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others shouldn't either.

Another complaint about someone complaining abut people complaining about Bettman... How original...

If you're not interested in commenting, don't. Just because you like it, it doesn't mean others should as well.

See how that works?

Bettman has done a wondrous job as commissioner. The players are making bank and the owners are making bank and the ratings just keep going up up and up.

He tried expanding the NHL south like he should have and it has failed in two places while places like Tampa Bay, Nashville, Dallas and the California teams are thriving. Canada has another team now as well. Who the hell cares if hockey failed in Atlanta? Who cares if it is failing in Phoenix? How do those two teams personally affect you, given that the NHL is trying to expand it's demographic? If you run a league and aren't trying to globalize, then you are a terrible league commissionaire. Football expanded north, soccer expanded West, and hockey is expanding south. Deal with it.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#30 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:57 AM

The fact that I may be supporting Doucheman's over-priced salary is why I tend to second guess buying NHL products anymore.

Edited by Shoreline, 30 July 2011 - 04:00 AM.

#31 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:47 PM

Another complaint about someone complaining abut people complaining about Bettman... How original...

If you're not interested in commenting, don't. Just because you like it, it doesn't mean others should as well.

See how that works?

Bettman has done a wondrous job as commissioner. The players are making bank and the owners are making bank and the ratings just keep going up up and up.

He tried expanding the NHL south like he should have and it has failed in two places while places like Tampa Bay, Nashville, Dallas and the California teams are thriving. Canada has another team now as well. Who the hell cares if hockey failed in Atlanta? Who cares if it is failing in Phoenix? How do those two teams personally affect you, given that the NHL is trying to expand it's demographic? If you run a league and aren't trying to globalize, then you are a terrible league commissionaire. Football expanded north, soccer expanded West, and hockey is expanding south. Deal with it.

It's cute how people would rather neg you than express why they think your post is worthy of being negged, or even wrong.

Posted Image

#32 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:09 PM

Bettman is a ******.

#33 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:22 PM

Bettman is a ******, but he's doing a fair job.

#34 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:50 PM

It's cute how people would rather neg you than express why they think your post is worthy of being negged, or even wrong.

I never understood why any poster would think someone is owed an explanation for a neg.. isn't it self-explanatory? The only difference is, perhaps in the neg part they are avoiding a rather pointless argument.

Anyhow, I lol'd at the boo montage.

#35 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:31 AM

I never understood why any poster would think someone is owed an explanation for a neg.. isn't it self-explanatory? The only difference is, perhaps in the neg part they are avoiding a rather pointless argument.

Anyhow, I lol'd at the boo montage.

I didn't say for anyone to explain a neg rep. I said for people to stop being cowards and actually rebut Konnan in some capacity.

Go ahead. Anyone?

Posted Image

#36 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:32 AM

I didn't say for anyone to explain a neg rep. I said for people to stop being cowards and actually rebut Konnan in some capacity.

I'm not quite sure if this is a troll or if you accidentally implied the irony of cowardice all while posting anonymously on an internet message board.

Really, who cares?

Edited by Shoreline, 31 July 2011 - 04:32 AM.

#37 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:55 AM

Bettman still has not provided fans with a television deal that does not insult our intelligence.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#38 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:16 AM

I'm not quite sure if this is a troll or if you accidentally implied the irony of cowardice all while posting anonymously on an internet message board.

Really, who cares?

I think there is a difference between discussing issues on a message board and neg repping someone because you disagree with them.

Bettman still has not provided fans with a television deal that does not insult our intelligence.

Explain.

Posted Image

#39 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

Bettman is a ******, but he's doing a fair job.

Agree. I don't think many people like him or agree with many of his decisions, but he has done a good job.

Would you rather have one game a week on ESPN2, or three games a week on NBC/NBC Sports (Versus)? I don't have cable (so the deal doesn't directly affect me), but I know which one I would choose. One nationally televised game a week would be an insult to our intelligence IMO.

It's certainly cool to hate Bettman, but I would like someone here who doesn't think he deserves $7.5m to argue how Bettman has failed the NHL in increasing revenues, awareness, etc.

#40 stevie for president

stevie for president

Red Blings

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:48 AM

You're worried about what Bettmans making? CEOs bankrupt this country and their businesses while making tens or hundreds of millions of dollars while their employees made 5 figures.

Bettman has made the BoG more money, players more money, and made the product more exciting and more available to it's fans than any other sports league. He makes less than some of the top players and little more than 10x what the lower tier players make. IMO he's earned it too.