• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:24 PM

You're worried about what Bettmans making? CEOs bankrupt this country and their businesses while making tens or hundreds of millions of dollars while their employees made 5 figures.

Bettman has made the BoG more money, players more money, and made the product more exciting and more available to it's fans than any other sports league. He makes less than some of the top players and little more than 10x what the lower tier players make. IMO he's earned it too.

I find it interesting with the CEO analogy given Doucheman's role as Commissioner can easily be called CEO. While his standards for keeping the league as a whole profitable are respectable, his approach to the cities he allows the NHL to place teams at with little to no respect for the rule of law or citizens of those governed by the area on the hook for an extremely cost-intensive building, and his approach to fans, are reprehensible at best. It's rather easy to understand the role he plays, however, as a fan, I know, but don't give a f***, about the fact that his role as effective CEO of the NHL is to make the league profitable and appease a BOG. Despite understanding the position he's in, I'm not one of them, I'm a fan. Others are allowed to give him a pat on the back for one sole reason, I on the other hand, think he can go f*** himself. Rather than take it that seriously like a few specific posters are doing, I choose to have fun with it. If that doesn't get approval from a few specific posters (not part of a response to you btw sfp), oh well for those posters then, huh? Tough s***.

Edited by Shoreline, 31 July 2011 - 12:27 PM.

#42 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

What I would like to know is what's wrong with irrationally hating Gary Bettman. People here irrationally hate lots of players, including he-who-shall-not-be-named, for lots of reasons......does anyone get sand in their genitals over that?

It seems counterproductive to me to go into a thread about someone you know lots of people don't like (for whatever reason), and then dictate to those people what they should or should not say about them. If I want to say "Gary Bettman blows syphilis-infected donkeys for spare change under City Hall"....well, then I'm going to do that. You don't need to worry yourself about why I think he does that, or why I think he should do that.....just laugh if you think it's funny, ignore it if you think it's not.

I don't care how much good he may or may not be doing for the league, I don't like him. He's smarmy, he's douchey, and he looks like he eats puppies for dinner.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#43 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:46 PM

Explain.

He has not attempted to negotiate a contract of League games, covering a full season, by a national network via free TV (i.e. not having to pay a premium to view them). Until this coming season, he has seemed content to let coverage begin on New Year's Day. That's three months exposure lost.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#44 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:51 PM

Bettman??
More like B*U*ttman!!!!!
HA!!!
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#45 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

What I would like to know is what's wrong with irrationally hating Gary Bettman. People here irrationally hate lots of players, including he-who-shall-not-be-named, for lots of reasons......does anyone get sand in their genitals over that?

Who said it is wrong to irrationally hate Bettman?

It seems counterproductive to me to go into a thread about someone you know lots of people don't like (for whatever reason), and then dictate to those people what they should or should not say about them. If I want to say "Gary Bettman blows syphilis-infected donkeys for spare change under City Hall"....well, then I'm going to do that. You don't need to worry yourself about why I think he does that, or why I think he should do that.....just laugh if you think it's funny, ignore it if you think it's not.

Difference between what you are talking about and what I did. I never said for people to not insult him. I said it is sad people are going to neg rep a respected community member for valid points about someone, instead of providing some insight as to why they think he is wrong.

Perhaps it is that people just hate the guy so much it is acceptable to them to neg rep someone for speaking positively about that person. If so, I'll say no more.

I don't care how much good he may or may not be doing for the league, I don't like him. He's smarmy, he's douchey, and he looks like he eats puppies for dinner.

Well nobody got on you for doing that (even though that isn't what you did), so I'm not sure what your point is.

Cusimano: how does that insult our intelligence? Versus has a hell of a lot of exposure for the league and that goes on year round. Not to mention Versus televises games late in the season based on the playoff race.

Edited by Doc Holliday, 31 July 2011 - 07:46 PM.

Posted Image

#46 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

It's amazing how lauded Bettman is now for helming increased revenue since the lockout, as if that was the year he took over.

But Gary was there for the lockout too, and for over a decade leading up to it. In case I need to remind anyone, Bettman was the commissioner residing over the first major N. American professional league to lose an entire year because of a labor dispute. The Only. Ever. Oh, and he lost another 1/2 year on top of it earlier. Beautiful.

I'll admit Gary may have learned a thing or two following the lockout, after 12 years of ineptitude, but that in no way pardons the 12 years of ineptitude. It was during Gary's reign the NHL went from a hot commodity in the early 90s to 12th on ESPN, behind poker, bowling, college sports, lawn darts and rock hucking.

Not addressing the clutch and grabbing until 2005 was a costly, costly mistake. Bettman is also guilty of focusing on new customers before existing customers, which confounds me, as it just seems marketing 101 to always focus first and never alienate your existing customers.

I guess you can love Bettman for moderate success over the past 5 years, but I have not forgotten the first dozen years and have long felt Bettman's level of 'success' is set awfully low.

Edited by egroen, 31 July 2011 - 09:34 PM.

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#47 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:47 PM

It seems many of Bettman's defenders are younger, and I guess you can't help but give Bettman a 'passable' grade since the lockout, and if that is your scope, it does seem ridiculous for this guy to be so hated.

But if you are a bit older, you remember that condescending prick as the one who lost 1 1/2 years of hockey and ESPN. It's really not all irrational reasons this guy is booed everywhere he goes.

#48 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:37 PM

It seems many of Bettman's defenders are younger, and I guess you can't help but give Bettman a 'passable' grade since the lockout, and if that is your scope, it does seem ridiculous for this guy to be so hated.

But if you are a bit older, you remember that condescending prick as the one who lost 1 1/2 years of hockey and ESPN. It's really not all irrational reasons this guy is booed everywhere he goes.

Would ESPN have treated hockey any differently regardless of commissioner?

Hockey was never in their best interest.

Posted Image

#49 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:06 PM

Then you simply do not remember the early-90s.

#50 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:20 PM

I was still in diapers when the 90s started. (it would help if you gave an example of the best ESPN gave the NHL in terms of exposure, money, and broadcasting)

I suppose my impression of ESPN doesn't help when their offer to a league that continues to grow (and get ratings in games it never had on ESPN) is still a slap in the face.

Edited by Doc Holliday, 31 July 2011 - 11:21 PM.

Posted Image

#51 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:30 PM

Another complaint about someone complaining abut people complaining about Bettman... How original...

If you're not interested in commenting, don't. Just because you like it, it doesn't mean others should as well.

See how that works?

Bettman has done a wondrous job as commissioner. The players are making bank and the owners are making bank and the ratings just keep going up up and up.

He tried expanding the NHL south like he should have and it has failed in two places while places like Tampa Bay, Nashville, Dallas and the California teams are thriving. Canada has another team now as well. Who the hell cares if hockey failed in Atlanta? Who cares if it is failing in Phoenix? How do those two teams personally affect you, given that the NHL is trying to expand it's demographic? If you run a league and aren't trying to globalize, then you are a terrible league commissionaire. Football expanded north, soccer expanded West, and hockey is expanding south. Deal with it.

The difference is I'm commenting on a thread I find interesting, and you're just complaining. Nobody made you look at this thread or for that matter comment on it.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#52 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:50 PM

The difference is I'm commenting on a thread I find interesting, and you're just complaining. Nobody made you look at this thread or for that matter comment on it.

? uve been complaing on this thread just as much anyone lol there is no difference. *sigh* people.

#53 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:02 AM

The NHL on ESPN on the early 90s was a matter of "it's the only national network" so what you see is what you get. Hockey was never a priority for ESPN, and never will be. It is more to the NHL's interest that Versus develops into a major competitor for ESPN, because that would produce better media deals for the NHL as the (current) main client of Versus.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#54 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:58 AM

He's done an okay job with the league. He has a tough job, like dealing with some of these idiot owners who argue about not being able to make money but then go out and offer some of the stupidest contracts in pro sports. And I'm sure he also has to fight against a climate of "good ol boys" that can hold hockey back and make it look like a lower-tier sport. Guys like Colin Campbell who behave as if this was his kids pee wee league and not a multi-billion dollar sports operation.

My main problems with Bettman are that he was a major component of both lockouts that cost a season and a half of hockey, and someone with more diplomatic and management skills likely could've salvaged at least some of those seasons. In particular the tone he set from the very start of this last lockout pretty much guaranteed we'd lose a season of hockey. He has increased the popularity of the league, but part of that progress has just been recovering from what was lost in the lockouts.

Second, he comes off as a condescending ******. I get so tired of Bettman telling me what I think about the game. He's often full of s*** whenever he talks about what fans think. Pre-lockout, he was incessantly denying there were any problem with clutching and grabbing and would go on and on about the fans and players loving the game just as it is. Then there's the lockout and what do you know, major changes to reduce clutching and grabbing.

Beyond that, I would bet that were he not commissioner of the league, he'd never even watch a hockey game, on tv or in person.

#55 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:02 AM

He's done an okay job with the league. He has a tough job, like dealing with some of these idiot owners who argue about not being able to make money but then go out and offer some of the stupidest contracts in pro sports. And I'm sure he also has to fight against a climate of "good ol boys" that can hold hockey back and make it look like a lower-tier sport. Guys like Colin Campbell who behave as if this was his kids pee wee league and not a multi-billion dollar sports operation.

My main problems with Bettman are that he was a major component of both lockouts that cost a season and a half of hockey, and someone with more diplomatic and management skills likely could've salvaged at least some of those seasons. In particular the tone he set from the very start of this last lockout pretty much guaranteed we'd lose a season of hockey. He has increased the popularity of the league, but part of that progress has just been recovering from what was lost in the lockouts.

Second, he comes off as a condescending ******. I get so tired of Bettman telling me what I think about the game. He's often full of s*** whenever he talks about what fans think. Pre-lockout, he was incessantly denying there were any problem with clutching and grabbing and would go on and on about the fans and players loving the game just as it is. Then there's the lockout and what do you know, major changes to reduce clutching and grabbing.

Beyond that, I would bet that were he not commissioner of the league, he'd never even watch a hockey game, on tv or in person.

bingo

#56 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:26 PM

Who caused the lockout?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#57 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:01 AM

? uve been complaing on this thread just as much anyone lol there is no difference. *sigh* people.

There actually is a difference the only reason Konnan511 entered this thread is to complain about people complaining. That was his sole purpose at first, if he posted his second comment the first time I wouldn't have said a word.

And furthermore you have to be insane to think Bettman is doing anything but runningthe sport into the ground, and I'm not necessarily talking about financially.

Just look at all the penalties called during games especially when a team is behind. Those type of blatent calls have to have come from some directive from the top. You can also include the

shootout as another asinine Bettman idea. Why can't hockey have a real overtime like other sports?

Edited by wings87, 02 August 2011 - 12:02 AM.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#58 echos myron

echos myron

swag

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:38 AM

moron

#59 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:48 AM

There actually is a difference the only reason Konnan511 entered this thread is to complain about people complaining. That was his sole purpose at first, if he posted his second comment the first time I wouldn't have said a word.

And furthermore you have to be insane to think Bettman is doing anything but runningthe sport into the ground, and I'm not necessarily talking about financially.

Just look at all the penalties called during games especially when a team is behind. Those type of blatent calls have to have come from some directive from the top. You can also include the

shootout as another asinine Bettman idea. Why can't hockey have a real overtime like other sports?

wait wait wait...ur complaining and now konnan is complaining about u complaining, so u started complaining some more and now im complaining about u complaining about konnan complaining about ur original complaining? got it. Im sure that most everyone no one on this thread had the "sole purpose" of complaining about bettman when they clicked on it.....lol

#60 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:16 AM

Posted Image

Anyways, been waiting to respond in here after getting a bit of an understanding from people who are much more knowledgeable and aware than I am.

As long as the majority of owners overall are happy with Bettman, he isn't going anywhere.

He played a part in dragging this league into their most recent lockout but he's done a good job slowly/surely getting the league out of it and getting the league into some relevance again in the general population, again slowly/surely.

Shoreline and haroldsnepts pretty much state my thoughts on him more/less. I acknowledge and give him credit for doing a decent job, but he still comes off as a fuzznut to EXISTING fans/EXISTING customer base. He dodges questions masterfully and always tells people what fans "think" when a lot of the times I find what the fans "think" to not be fully accurate from him. While I think so many existing fans of this product aren't going abandon watching the sport anytime soon, in business (and professional sports is no exception), one of the most important principles if not the most important is taking care of your existing/current customers. Him getting just peppered with boos nearly every year now presenting the Stanley Cup to the winning team or Conn Smythe trophy, regardless of if it is home/away team or player, that goes to show you not a lot of current fans/customers like him.

What also helps his, and the NHL's cause right now, is the recently labor disputes in the NFL and still ongoing one in the NBA.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 02 August 2011 - 06:19 AM.