• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pasha 13

Top 25 centers in the league

Rate this topic

Glad to see our boys getting some love, but boy are there some notable names missing. Claude Giroux & Patrick Sharp should be there ahead of Dave Bolland, though I do admire his effectiveness as a two-way center. I'd argue that Ryan Getzlaf could finish in the top 5 just because of his elite skill level and ability to use his big frame better than most. Seeing good ol' Vinny anywhere near the top ten is a joke especially ahead of the likes of Backstrom, Zetterberg, or Brad Richards. I'm a bit shocked to see Jonathon Toews at #3 but he does possess the total package and is arguably one of the most complete players in the game alongside Z & D.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Looking-ahead-to-2011-12-Ranking-the-NHL-8217-?urn=nhl-wp9636

Thoughts?

Glad to see our boys getting some love, but boy are there some notable names missing. Claude Giroux & Patrick Sharp should be there ahead of Dave Bolland, though I do admire his effectiveness as a two-way center. I'd argue that Ryan Getzlaf could finish in the top 5 just because of his elite skill level and ability to use his big frame better than most. Seeing good ol' Vinny anywhere near the top ten is a joke especially ahead of the likes of Backstrom, Zetterberg, or Brad Richards. I'm a bit shocked to see Jonathon Toews at #3 but he does possess the total package and is arguably one of the most complete players in the game alongside Z & D.

http://ca.sports.yah...?urn=nhl-wp9636

Thoughts?

Bolland is a very good center. The more questionable ranking is Zetterberg at #14. How they justify that one I am not sure. He was third in scoring among centers last season behind Stamkos and Sedin. Crosby and Datsyuk would have also finished ahead of him if healthy. So he's top five, just on offense. And Datsyuk and Kesler are the only guys there who can be legitimately argued as his defensive equal.

Z belongs in the top three, not just the top fifteen.

My list?

Zetterberg

Datsyuk

Crosby

Stamkos

Getzlaf

Kesler

Toews

H. Sedin

M.Koivu

B.Richards

Backstrom

Malkin

M.Richards

Briere

J.Staal

Kopitar

Giroux

Thornton

E.Staal

Krejci

Spezza

Carter

Lecavalier

Bergeron

Bolland

EDIT: Players missing from original list.

Edited by eva unit zero

Bolland is a very good center. The more questionable ranking is Zetterberg at #14. How they justify that one I am not sure. He was third in scoring among centers last season behind Stamkos and Sedin. Crosby and Datsyuk would have also finished ahead of him if healthy. So he's top five, just on offense. And Datsyuk and Kesler are the only guys there who can be legitimately argued as his defensive equal.

Z belongs in the top three, not just the top fifteen.

My list?

Zetterberg

Datsyuk

Crosby

Getzlaf

Kesler

Toews

H. Sedin

M.Koivu

B.Richards

Backstrom

M.Richards

Briere

Kopitar

Giroux

Thornton

Krejci

Spezza

Carter

Lecavalier

Bergeron

Bolland

Tavares

McDonald

Plekanec

Stastny

You forgot(?) Stamkos, Malkin and Eric Staal.

I don't get how Malkin is ranked just behind Stamkos at 6th. Malkin has done almost nothing the past couple seasons while Stamkos has scored more goals than any other player in that time. Crosby is first because the writer isn't in the mood to deal with bandwagon Pens fans that would blast him for not making him first. Datsyuk is the best, Crosby is second, Stamkos is third and Z would probably have to be 4th or 5th. He's better than Staal, Kesler, Thornton, Lecavalier, and Mike Richards, for sure. Toews is good and picks up his game during the playoffs, but to rank him 3rd is ridiculous. All that firepower he has around him and his career high is just 76 points? 3rd best center in the NHL? 76 points? Nope.

I think they left out guys like Giroux and Sharp because they've switched from right wing to center at different times, though Zetterberg has gone from left wing to center, so...

I also agreed that Z should be rated higher, which makes their "Underrated two-way player who delivers in crunch time" comment pretty ironic, lol

Guest echos myron

i was expecting an excellent and well thought out list from puck daddy

I'm actually a fan of Toews, but number 3?? He'd have to have a helluva year to justify that ranking.

Same goes for Lecavalier. He's been one of my favorite players, but it seems unlikely he'll have the kind of season to justify that ranking.

Crysby over Pasha??? Seriously??? Henrik halfway down the list???

I don't think so.

Before his concussion Crosby had 32 goals and 34 assists in 41 games. 66 points in 41 games is ridiculous. And it's not like he's just out there cherry picking and floating like a Patrick Kane.

The list is about projecting for this coming season. After that kind of productivity, to have anyone other than Crosby at #1 would be a joke.

And as others have mentioned, Z belongs in the top ten.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Toews at 3 is a joke. So is Z at 14. Toews has broken 70 points only once in his career and is nowhere near as skilled defensively as Z.

I don't like the list, but no matter what its too subjective a topic to judge with any consistency.

Guest echos myron

Toews has broken 70 points only once in his career and is nowhere near as skilled defensively as Z.

how isn't he

Though I agree with everyone on Z being shafted here, but like hooon said, this is too subjective a topic for any real consistancy. Canucks fans would have a field day with this list. H. Sedin at number 4 would be insanity considering his list couple of seasons and Keslers 41 goal campaign along with the Selke would have people outraged at his number 10 spot. They'd have H. Sedin and Kesler in the top 5. My point being, fanbases of other teams would all try and justify why the players on their team should be higher on the list than others. Just as we would argue Z and D for top 5. A reason that Z maybe lower than he deserves to be could be because he played wing a lot last year and has in the past as well. Perhaps a full year at center and he may remind the hockey world of his elite two-way game.