• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:16 AM

all justified ridicule aside guys, is it fair to say that Raffi Torres ruined Jason Williams career?

It's fairer to say that Jason Williams ruined Jason Williams' career.

#22 DatsyukownzU13

DatsyukownzU13

http://throwthewingup.blogspot.com/

• Gold Booster
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:41 AM

It's really just a depth signing. He won't beat out Tangradi and other prospects unless mass injuries occur.

#23 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:53 PM

i love that williams signed in s***tsburgh. good fit cause i passionately hate the pens and williams is a soft turd.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#24 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

Interesting. I can see that players being overly careful with obstruction and physicality creating a chance for weaker players to be productive. Any more examples than Williams and Cheechoo?

Well just by looking at a lot of guys stat sheets their best year was in 2006. Some guys that are relative nobodies like Jarret Stoll or Ales Kotalik never got close to the numbers they put up in that year. But other guys with good reputations like Eric Staal also scored way more than they ever did again. And then there are one year wonders like Brian Gionta.

Funny though, that some guys that it seems obvious they would've benefited heavily from that year actually had big time down years, like Marty St Louis and Jarome Iginla.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#25 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:10 PM

i love that williams signed in s***tsburgh. good fit cause i passionately hate the pens and williams is a soft turd.

+1 for 'soft turd'. I really appreciate the descriptive nature of that statement.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#26 swedishconnection

swedishconnection

Conn Smythe - as predicted since 2006

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:00 PM

all justified ridicule aside guys, is it fair to say that Raffi Torres ruined Jason Williams career?

Only if you want to concede that Eaves's career was ruined by Armstrong.

Jason was nothing special up to that hit. After the hit he was still nothing special. Logic tells me that it didnt change anything.
Mickey is one of the only colour commentators I've heard that gets angry when his team gets a powerplay as a result of a crap call from an official.

-Hockeytown0001

#27 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:37 PM

Jason was nothing special up to that hit. After the hit he was still nothing special. Logic tells me that it didnt change anything.

I wouldn't say that necessarily, he was coming off of a 58 point season. But I digress...

#28 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:40 PM

Ah yes, Jason "high and wide" Williams gives the Sharks a 2-1 and they go up 3-1 in the series. Awesome Guy.

#29 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:34 AM

I don't know what everyone is knocking on? This is a fantastic signing... I mean look how he played for the Kings!

You're confused I know but here....

No kid, there are no Jason Williams hockey highlights at all, I mean what kind of player has NO highlights, especially in a career of his length so far? :hehe:

Oh no sorry, two pages in I get one hit... and its a good one :)

Plus the commentator doesn't even know who he is, calls him Holmstrom

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#30 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

Ah yes, Jason "high and wide" Williams gives the Sharks a 2-1 and they go up 3-1 in the series. Awesome Guy.

Hah, oh man, that was terrible.

#31 stormboy

stormboy

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:58 AM

I can't find a video for it, but I remember a game wherein Williams was on a long goal-scoring drought, and he was in all alone on an empty net. I remember Ken Daniels saying, "He needs this!" only to hear *tink* as J-Willy hit the outside of the post. I'm sure I was pissed at the time, but I don't think anything more typifies Williams's career.

Still, you know he'll score a hattrick against us on score one other goal the entire year.

go wings.

#32 FinWing

FinWing

Vaasa red & white

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:15 AM

FEL team Porin Ässät reportedly expressed their interest in Williams but his agent set the price tag at one million dollars. Hahahaha!
Thank You TeeMan

#33 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:52 PM

Interesting. I can see that players being overly careful with obstruction and physicality creating a chance for weaker players to be productive. Any more examples than Williams and Cheechoo?

A wee bit of Chris Drury and the year after, it was also Eric Staals best season. Hell Scott Gomez scored 33G that year as well. Gionta had a his best year that season as well and there are more examples out there. I am surprised most people haven't made this connection already about that odd year.

Oh and according to wiki it was the NHL's second highest scoring season ever.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 04 August 2011 - 10:57 PM.

#34 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,746 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:49 PM

FEL team Porin Ässät reportedly expressed their interest in Williams but his agent set the price tag at one million dollars. Hahahaha!

Say what?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#35 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:49 AM

Williams averaged over 20 goals and 50 points every 82 games he played from 2005-06 through 2008-09. It didn't affect his play, but it might have affected his health. In 2009-10 and 2010-11 his production slipped considerably compared to that average, although he didn't play many games or many minutes. If he gets a scoring role in Pittsburgh, he could post excellent numbers and be one of if not the best signing of the offseason.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#36 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,012 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:31 PM

Williams averaged over 20 goals and 50 points every 82 games he played from 2005-06 through 2008-09. It didn't affect his play, but it might have affected his health. In 2009-10 and 2010-11 his production slipped considerably compared to that average, although he didn't play many games or many minutes. If he gets a scoring role in Pittsburgh, he could post excellent numbers and be one of if not the best signing of the offseason.

I should have figured you made this same baseless claim in the this thread.

It's not as complicated as you're making it out to be. Williams has in no way averaged 50 points PER SEASON which is all that really matters.

Williams turning out to be the best signing of the offseason would be awful, because it could only mean that some tragedy wiped out a massive number of players in the NHL before the season started.

If you want to have the Franzen and Gretzky arguments (I'm not sure how they got involved in a Williams discussion) maybe you should start a new thread.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 10 August 2011 - 05:33 PM.

#37 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

I honestly think Eva just chooses the most hated and ridiculed players and then defends them because no one else will. Hudler, Kopecky, Williams...
Posted Image

#38 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

I honestly think Eva just chooses the most hated and ridiculed players and then defends them because no one else will. Hudler, Kopecky, Williams...

If I recall correctly, I was calling for Lebda to be removed from the roster in favor of Meech, and then waived in favor of Quincey. Others here were fine with him, and then wanted to send Chelios packing despite the fact that he was actually effective, unlike Lebda.

I don't always simply support the hated players. I simply look at the player's performance and figure "This guy performs well/ok/excellent" or "He's got solid potential that he's not given credit for." or things like that.

And for the record, more than 90% of LGWers said Kopecky would never be more than a fourth-liner in the NHL. I said that he would be a second-liner, ideally a power forward, probably playing on the wing. He played that EXACT role on the 2010 Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks. Now he's in Florida and expected to perform in a top-six role there, perhaps even as a leader, bringing Cup experience and all-around play to a roster which is short on both.

But yes, I just pick guys who are disliked and defend them.

#39 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:08 PM

How do you feel about Ericsson?

I still very much disagree with you about Kopecky. Let's see how he does without inflated PP minutes on lines with Toews and Hossa. I don't want to hijack this thread and turn into a Kopecky debate, but just because you and Dale Tallon think he will be good on the Panthers doesn't mean he actually will be. I'm sure you have a statistic to prove me wrong, though.
Posted Image

#40 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:33 PM

How do you feel about Ericsson?

I still very much disagree with you about Kopecky. Let's see how he does without inflated PP minutes on lines with Toews and Hossa. I don't want to hijack this thread and turn into a Kopecky debate, but just because you and Dale Tallon think he will be good on the Panthers doesn't mean he actually will be. I'm sure you have a statistic to prove me wrong, though.

So you want to see how he would do playing in a third or fourth line role with no special teams?

Why don't we try that with Johan Franzen. See what he does. He has spent most of the past few years on a line with either Datsyuk or Zetterberg, and has only beaten Kopecky's numbers from last year twice.

If Franzen is an elite scorer, that makes Kopecky a solid second-liner, right? He's not too different from Franzen physically or defensively. Franzen is a much better goal scorer, but Kopy is a better playmaker. If Kopy had Patrick Eaves' shot, he might be the better player.