Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:16 PM

"...can only sport the Sidney Crosby playoff moustache"

:lol:

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#23 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,894 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

Wow. One of my best friends is from Phoenix and she has spent a lot of stints in and out of prison down there. She was always at the women's prison in Goodyear. Lucky her. If she'd been in that one, maybe she'd stop going back.

This would certainly make someone think twice about driving drunk.

#24 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:54 PM

He must be a HABITUAL offender to get 30 days for a DUI. They usually don't give you that long unless you already have many, many previous DUIs. (at least around here)

My buddy (who has a drinking problem) didn't serve any time until his 4th DUI, and that was just the two day weekend thing, where they stick you in with the other people in for DUIs over the weekend. My other buddy got sentenced to the two day weekend thing after his 3rd, likely because he hit a sign and damaged city property.

Either AZ is incredibly strict with all people on DUIs or they decided to f*** him over because he was a rich foreigner in a Ferrari. Lets not forget, it is AZ, and they absolutely hate foreigners there with a passion.

I'm definitely not excusing what he did, but 30 days for a DUI in what sounds not like a normal jail, but rather like some crazy outdoor slave labor camp in the desert sun in the middle of summer, for a DUI, seems a bit extreme.

Edited by sleepwalker, 28 July 2011 - 04:06 PM.

#25 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:06 PM

He must be a HABITUAL offender to get 30 days for a DUI. They usually don't give you that long unless you already have many, many previous DUIs. (at least around here)

My buddy (who has a drinking problem) didn't serve any time until his 4th DUI, and that was just the two day weekend thing, where they stick you in with the other people in for DUIs over the weekend. My other buddy got sentenced to the two day weekend thing after his 3rd, likely because he hit a sign and damaged city property.

That's only if you can afford them.
The average DUI costs $5000+ between court, fines, lawyer, and vehicle impound. That's not counting if you actually have to pay someone damages for ruining something, or being sued.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#26 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:32 PM

I've seen that guy on Lockdown, he don't put up with anything
IPB Image

#27 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,894 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:35 PM

DUI rules vary from state to state. Around here you lose your license on the first one, but you can get a work permit. They do follow you. My bf goes to work at midnight on Thursdays. He got followed by a cop who came in and made sure that he was actually scheduled to work at midnight.

There's also jail time, court fees, forced "treatment evaluation" where you are basically questioned until they find reason to believe that you are an alcoholic and you have to pay through the nose to see a therapist who will tell you that you will never be cured and you have to keep coming back. Once your time/probation has been served, you can quit the therapy.

It's worth it if it keeps drunks off the road, but I like the AZ way better. It's much cheaper on the taxpayers and is definitely something that will stick with you as something you don't want to do again.

#28 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:00 AM

No preferential treatment for celebs = fine by me. In this day and age, everyone knows the ramifications of drinking and driving. Jail time on the first offense could inspire folks to never ever do it again. I like Arpaio’s set up. I think that jail/prison time should be hellishly uncomfortable. Basic human needs for survival met, and nothing else. Make going to jail/prison so distasteful that folks actually think twice about breaking the law. Chain gangs. Love em. Make criminals work their asses off for several reasons....help pay the cost of their time in the system, improve the local community, give them a good, solid work ethic so that when they get out they will be in the "get off your ass and go to work" groove. Tents are good enough for soldiers. I like that, too.
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#29 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:01 AM

Tents, haircuts... What century is this?

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#30 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,894 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:11 AM

Technically, the 20th, as it was started last century. :D

Our jails here are like resorts. They seriously have it better than I do, and they get it for free. This guy is making it be an actual punishment. More power to him. I'm not in favour of going back to the old turn-of-the-last-century prisons where people were dependent on their families and churches to bring them food, but the women's prison in ND has such good food that I know girls that come out missing the caramel rolls. The women's prison in AZ is pretty nice too, from what I hear.

Besides, this is jail, not prison. Most are only there for a month or two or three.

#31 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:42 AM

Technically, the 20th, as it was started last century. :D

Our jails here are like resorts. They seriously have it better than I do, and they get it for free. This guy is making it be an actual punishment. More power to him. I'm not in favour of going back to the old turn-of-the-last-century prisons where people were dependent on their families and churches to bring them food, but the women's prison in ND has such good food that I know girls that come out missing the caramel rolls. The women's prison in AZ is pretty nice too, from what I hear.

Besides, this is jail, not prison. Most are only there for a month or two or three.

American prisons are the Ritz-Carlton compared to many other places.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#32 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:35 AM

My friend in Arizona was mentioning about this when the news was first out of his arrest but I never took the time to research it. I think this is a good way to deter repeat offenders, if they actually learn something from the experience. Since it's so hot there the tents really make it uncomfortable for them and there should not be any luxuries in jail or prison.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#33 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:53 AM

Whatever century it needs to be for these people to understand they're in jail, not on vacation. There are laws in this country, and if you break them, you go away somewhere for a while and learn to better appreciate the freedom you had before you got there. If making them sleep in tents, wear pink underwear, cut their hair, and break rocks helps them to understand and appreciate how nice it is not to have to do those things, that can only be a net positive.

You drive drunk, you go to jail. If you don't like going to jail, don't drink and drive.

Edited by Electrophile, 29 July 2011 - 10:55 AM.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#34 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

Jails aren't there to make the prisoners learn about their mistakes. Of course some of the prisoners do learn, but it's not like North American prisons are packed because all the inmates are first timers. Jails are made to put the wrongdoers away for some time so they won't be able to do wrong during that time. Also there's a good amount of revenge inflicted upon them which to some equals justice.

And no, I have no idea of what would be a better solution. Being locked up is quite a sensible way to snap the fingers of people who harm others.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#35 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:46 PM

Jails aren't there to make the prisoners learn about their mistakes. Of course some of the prisoners do learn, but it's not like North American prisons are packed because all the inmates are first timers. Jails are made to put the wrongdoers away for some time so they won't be able to do wrong during that time. Also there's a good amount of revenge inflicted upon them which to some equals justice.

And no, I have no idea of what would be a better solution. Being locked up is quite a sensible way to snap the fingers of people who harm others.

So you'd be in favor of a simple but stern wag of the finger?

Posted Image

#36 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:49 PM

how long Danny Heatly was in jail when he killed his buddy?

#37 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

What does any of that have to do with this?

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#38 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:20 PM

So you'd be in favor of a simple but stern wag of the finger?

Like I said, I don't have a solution. Jails are not a good idea, but the best that has been able to put to work this far. Beats the death penalty by a long shot.

What does any of that have to do with this?

With what? Just conversating, stating my opinion, blabbering, replying to what Wizard wrote about "a good way to deter repeat offenders".

Edited by P. Marlowe, 29 July 2011 - 03:26 PM.

-- Mitch Albom

#39 SiLkK19

SiLkK19

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:37 PM

how long Danny Heatly was in jail when he killed his buddy?

I don't think he served any time. He even asked to be traded far far away.

#40 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:43 AM

I don't think he served any time. He even asked to be traded far far away.

If it was any of us, we'd be in prison right now. He was sentenced to three years probation and to give 150 speeches on the dangers of speeding.

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 30 July 2011 - 09:45 AM.