• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Kabibulin drops DUI appeal, will serve jail time

Rate this topic

DUI rules vary from state to state. Around here you lose your license on the first one, but you can get a work permit. They do follow you. My bf goes to work at midnight on Thursdays. He got followed by a cop who came in and made sure that he was actually scheduled to work at midnight.

There's also jail time, court fees, forced "treatment evaluation" where you are basically questioned until they find reason to believe that you are an alcoholic and you have to pay through the nose to see a therapist who will tell you that you will never be cured and you have to keep coming back. Once your time/probation has been served, you can quit the therapy.

It's worth it if it keeps drunks off the road, but I like the AZ way better. It's much cheaper on the taxpayers and is definitely something that will stick with you as something you don't want to do again.

No preferential treatment for celebs = fine by me. In this day and age, everyone knows the ramifications of drinking and driving. Jail time on the first offense could inspire folks to never ever do it again. I like Arpaio’s set up. I think that jail/prison time should be hellishly uncomfortable. Basic human needs for survival met, and nothing else. Make going to jail/prison so distasteful that folks actually think twice about breaking the law. Chain gangs. Love em. Make criminals work their asses off for several reasons....help pay the cost of their time in the system, improve the local community, give them a good, solid work ethic so that when they get out they will be in the "get off your ass and go to work" groove. Tents are good enough for soldiers. I like that, too.

Tents, haircuts... What century is this?

Technically, the 20th, as it was started last century. :D

Our jails here are like resorts. They seriously have it better than I do, and they get it for free. This guy is making it be an actual punishment. More power to him. I'm not in favour of going back to the old turn-of-the-last-century prisons where people were dependent on their families and churches to bring them food, but the women's prison in ND has such good food that I know girls that come out missing the caramel rolls. The women's prison in AZ is pretty nice too, from what I hear.

Besides, this is jail, not prison. Most are only there for a month or two or three.

Technically, the 20th, as it was started last century. :D

Our jails here are like resorts. They seriously have it better than I do, and they get it for free. This guy is making it be an actual punishment. More power to him. I'm not in favour of going back to the old turn-of-the-last-century prisons where people were dependent on their families and churches to bring them food, but the women's prison in ND has such good food that I know girls that come out missing the caramel rolls. The women's prison in AZ is pretty nice too, from what I hear.

Besides, this is jail, not prison. Most are only there for a month or two or three.

American prisons are the Ritz-Carlton compared to many other places.

My friend in Arizona was mentioning about this when the news was first out of his arrest but I never took the time to research it. I think this is a good way to deter repeat offenders, if they actually learn something from the experience. Since it's so hot there the tents really make it uncomfortable for them and there should not be any luxuries in jail or prison.

Tents, haircuts... What century is this?

Whatever century it needs to be for these people to understand they're in jail, not on vacation. There are laws in this country, and if you break them, you go away somewhere for a while and learn to better appreciate the freedom you had before you got there. If making them sleep in tents, wear pink underwear, cut their hair, and break rocks helps them to understand and appreciate how nice it is not to have to do those things, that can only be a net positive.

You drive drunk, you go to jail. If you don't like going to jail, don't drink and drive.

Edited by Electrophile

Jails aren't there to make the prisoners learn about their mistakes. Of course some of the prisoners do learn, but it's not like North American prisons are packed because all the inmates are first timers. Jails are made to put the wrongdoers away for some time so they won't be able to do wrong during that time. Also there's a good amount of revenge inflicted upon them which to some equals justice.

And no, I have no idea of what would be a better solution. Being locked up is quite a sensible way to snap the fingers of people who harm others.

Jails aren't there to make the prisoners learn about their mistakes. Of course some of the prisoners do learn, but it's not like North American prisons are packed because all the inmates are first timers. Jails are made to put the wrongdoers away for some time so they won't be able to do wrong during that time. Also there's a good amount of revenge inflicted upon them which to some equals justice.

And no, I have no idea of what would be a better solution. Being locked up is quite a sensible way to snap the fingers of people who harm others.

So you'd be in favor of a simple but stern wag of the finger?

Hypnotic.gif

What does any of that have to do with this?

So you'd be in favor of a simple but stern wag of the finger?

Like I said, I don't have a solution. Jails are not a good idea, but the best that has been able to put to work this far. Beats the death penalty by a long shot.

What does any of that have to do with this?

With what? Just conversating, stating my opinion, blabbering, replying to what Wizard wrote about "a good way to deter repeat offenders".

Edited by P. Marlowe

I don't think he served any time. He even asked to be traded far far away.

If it was any of us, we'd be in prison right now. He was sentenced to three years probation and to give 150 speeches on the dangers of speeding.

Edited by Hockeytown0001