• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Dry Island: The Flyers of Phildelphia.

Rate this topic

I'm not understanding. They wanted some guys to stop drinking for a month and these guys didn't want to? I don't blame them. I sometimes go months at a time without drinking, but I wouldn't want to be held to it.

And I don't get the shower thing. Did that happen or is that a funny comment? Cuz I laughed and now I'm not sure if I should have.

This has to be the dumbest story I have ever heard. I really think someone has to be trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here. Its not like these guys are party animals and giving the club a bad name. There is no fire here. Heck, there isn't even any smoke here. What we have is someone said something, and the press is taking off with it. To make matters worse, the press isn't even looking at the validity of the story.

Edited by Nightfall

And I don't get the shower thing. Did that happen or is that a funny comment? Cuz I laughed and now I'm not sure if I should have.

Sure it happened. I heard that Carter will have scars for the rest of his life, but they're in a place where few can see them. Flyers' physiotherapist who stepped into the shower inadvertently at the wrong time had to take two months off and he's still regularly seeing a psychotherapist.

I am surprised at almost everyone thinking it's not a big deal they didn't take part. Obviously people will get wind of a story and it will become a small game of broken telephone, but don't fool yourself there was indeed a story for the wind to blow. When the your new head coach (Laviolette) ask's "team" to take part in a "dry island" experiment there are 2 important things to consider...

... 1- The coach see's an issue (which could be a number of things in this scenerio) and thinks he has a solution through a team building exercise.

2- The Captain and Assistant Captian choose not to take part in the exercise displaying, imo, very juvenile and self righteous attitudes.

If I was Peter Laviolette new to a dressing room and my two top players, not to mention "leaders" choose not to participate, I would have cursed those two f***ers under my breath for sure.

Edited by 13dangledangle

...Laviolette new to a dreesing room and my two top players, not to mention "leaders" choose not to participate, I would have cursed those two f***ers under my breath for sure.

don't you think, you (if you were Laviolette) should talk to your captain and alternate captain first and then come up publicly with that stupidest idea only if they are in?

don't you think, you (if you were Laviolette) should talk to your captain and alternate captain first and then come up publicly with that stupidest idea only if they are in?

I doubt that Laviolette would have gone for this "dry island" idea if he hadn't tried to talk to Richards and Carter first. I'll bet he tried, and didn't get through, and then tried to send a message - only for Carter and Richards to ignore the entire idea. Sounds like good reason to ship them out of town to me.

I doubt that Laviolette would have gone for this "dry island" idea if he hadn't tried to talk to Richards and Carter first. I'll bet he tried, and didn't get through, and then tried to send a message - only for Carter and Richards to ignore the entire idea. Sounds like good reason to ship them out of town to me.

That's what I was thinking. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure there was (minor) talks with a couple of our guys in recent years (abby, smith) about the way Red Wing's handle themselves off the Ice was there not? Even so I just can't help but think if Bab's went to Lids and Zetterberg with the same idea you wouldn't even hear about it, they would do it for a month as a team and move on. I've been a part of "experiments" like this for hockey as well as in a work setting too. As soon as a couple people dont participate it gives the whole thing kind of a meek out look and works in the opposite way.

Perhaps when Laviolette saw it going this way he should have pulled the plug on the experiment and tried something else? Or maybe I'm looking way to much into something that was never even a problem? Weird scenario to me but alas it doesnt really matter now and I wish Carter and Richards the best of luck on there new teams. Unfortunately we will see them up close a lot more this year!

Edited by 13dangledangle

... if Bab's went to Lids and Zetterberg with the same idea you wouldn't even hear about it, they would do it for a month as a team and move on. ...

Why are you so sure?! Why would Bab do such stupid thing? Why do you think Lids and Zetta would agree?

Just (try and) picture this: Scotty goes to Larionov and ask if he stop drinking his regular glass of wine every day...

Remember there is a difference between having trouble with drinking and living a normal life. If this Dry Island story is true, Carter and Richards are the only normal guys there, who would not comply with stupidity and object anyone, even a head coach, who interferes with their personal life.

Why are you so sure?! Why would Bab do such stupid thing? Why do you think Lids and Zetta would agree?

Just (try and) picture this: Scotty goes to Larionov and ask if he stop drinking his regular glass of wine every day...

Remember there is a difference between having trouble with drinking and living a normal life. If this Dry Island story is true, Carter and Richards are the only normal guys there, who would not comply with stupidity and object anyone, even a head coach, who interferes with their personal life.

They were (and are) getting paid millions and millions and millions of dollars to be the best hockey players they can be and help their team win. A coach would not say anything about drinking unless it was interfering with the job they are getting paid to do. I doubt your boss would tolerate you coming in hung over on a Tuesday and performing poorly, and I bet you get paid a lot less than Mike Richards or Jeff Carter.

A dry island isn't something you need to do with a 20-year-veteran of the NHL. On this team. if drinking was an issue it would be dealt with before it got to Babcock, in-house by the on-ice leadership group.

Based on pictorial evidence, Richards, Carter and a few other players (most of whom have been dumped for pennies on the dollar in the last 24 months) were having more than just a glass of wine every night. If you can't stop drinking for a month because your boss is concerned that you're not doing your job to your peak ability - and Carter/Richards' numbers have dropped significantly in the last three years - then you do have an issue.

It should not have been brought through the media without a good, substantive on-the-record source. If there is a serious drug/alcohol issue in an NHL dressing room, it ought to be dealt with by the team way before anonymous teammates go ratting to the local rumour-monger.

They were (and are) getting paid millions and millions and millions of dollars to be the best hockey players they can be and help their team win. A coach would not say anything about drinking unless it was interfering with the job they are getting paid to do. I doubt your boss would tolerate you coming in hung over on a Tuesday and performing poorly, and I bet you get paid a lot less than Mike Richards or Jeff Carter.

What are you talking about?

Have you seen them playing? Have you seen their stat?

What arguments do you think Laviolette have used to prove that drinking was in fact a problem for these guys? And that stopping it for a month would have a positive effect to their games?

These guys are professionals, they don't require babysitting. That's why they get paid whatever they get paid. The very moment they need babysitting, their price falls down. I believe they realize it very clear.

Flayers have just shipped 132 points (59 goals (~23%) and 73 assists) out, supposedly because of drinking problem... Well, it was their decision to make. I think both these guys are better off out of that organization.

...and Carter/Richards' numbers have dropped significantly in the last three years - ...

we must be looking at different stats...