• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:49 AM

I doubt that Laviolette would have gone for this "dry island" idea if he hadn't tried to talk to Richards and Carter first. I'll bet he tried, and didn't get through, and then tried to send a message - only for Carter and Richards to ignore the entire idea. Sounds like good reason to ship them out of town to me.

That's what I was thinking. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure there was (minor) talks with a couple of our guys in recent years (abby, smith) about the way Red Wing's handle themselves off the Ice was there not? Even so I just can't help but think if Bab's went to Lids and Zetterberg with the same idea you wouldn't even hear about it, they would do it for a month as a team and move on. I've been a part of "experiments" like this for hockey as well as in a work setting too. As soon as a couple people dont participate it gives the whole thing kind of a meek out look and works in the opposite way.

Perhaps when Laviolette saw it going this way he should have pulled the plug on the experiment and tried something else? Or maybe I'm looking way to much into something that was never even a problem? Weird scenario to me but alas it doesnt really matter now and I wish Carter and Richards the best of luck on there new teams. Unfortunately we will see them up close a lot more this year!

Edited by 13dangledangle, 29 July 2011 - 11:02 AM.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#22 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

... if Bab's went to Lids and Zetterberg with the same idea you wouldn't even hear about it, they would do it for a month as a team and move on. ...

Why are you so sure?! Why would Bab do such stupid thing? Why do you think Lids and Zetta would agree?

Just (try and) picture this: Scotty goes to Larionov and ask if he stop drinking his regular glass of wine every day...

Remember there is a difference between having trouble with drinking and living a normal life. If this Dry Island story is true, Carter and Richards are the only normal guys there, who would not comply with stupidity and object anyone, even a head coach, who interferes with their personal life.

#23 ComradeWasabi

ComradeWasabi

the abdelgator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

Why are you so sure?! Why would Bab do such stupid thing? Why do you think Lids and Zetta would agree?

Just (try and) picture this: Scotty goes to Larionov and ask if he stop drinking his regular glass of wine every day...

Remember there is a difference between having trouble with drinking and living a normal life. If this Dry Island story is true, Carter and Richards are the only normal guys there, who would not comply with stupidity and object anyone, even a head coach, who interferes with their personal life.

They were (and are) getting paid millions and millions and millions of dollars to be the best hockey players they can be and help their team win. A coach would not say anything about drinking unless it was interfering with the job they are getting paid to do. I doubt your boss would tolerate you coming in hung over on a Tuesday and performing poorly, and I bet you get paid a lot less than Mike Richards or Jeff Carter.
QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 10:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

#24 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

A dry island isn't something you need to do with a 20-year-veteran of the NHL. On this team. if drinking was an issue it would be dealt with before it got to Babcock, in-house by the on-ice leadership group.

Based on pictorial evidence, Richards, Carter and a few other players (most of whom have been dumped for pennies on the dollar in the last 24 months) were having more than just a glass of wine every night. If you can't stop drinking for a month because your boss is concerned that you're not doing your job to your peak ability - and Carter/Richards' numbers have dropped significantly in the last three years - then you do have an issue.

It should not have been brought through the media without a good, substantive on-the-record source. If there is a serious drug/alcohol issue in an NHL dressing room, it ought to be dealt with by the team way before anonymous teammates go ratting to the local rumour-monger.

#25 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

They were (and are) getting paid millions and millions and millions of dollars to be the best hockey players they can be and help their team win. A coach would not say anything about drinking unless it was interfering with the job they are getting paid to do. I doubt your boss would tolerate you coming in hung over on a Tuesday and performing poorly, and I bet you get paid a lot less than Mike Richards or Jeff Carter.

What are you talking about?

Have you seen them playing? Have you seen their stat?

What arguments do you think Laviolette have used to prove that drinking was in fact a problem for these guys? And that stopping it for a month would have a positive effect to their games?

These guys are professionals, they don't require babysitting. That's why they get paid whatever they get paid. The very moment they need babysitting, their price falls down. I believe they realize it very clear.

Flayers have just shipped 132 points (59 goals (~23%) and 73 assists) out, supposedly because of drinking problem... Well, it was their decision to make. I think both these guys are better off out of that organization.

...and Carter/Richards' numbers have dropped significantly in the last three years - ...

we must be looking at different stats...

#26 ComradeWasabi

ComradeWasabi

the abdelgator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:46 PM

Carter and Richards both had breakout years in 2008-09. In the last two years, both of them have lost about 20 points each per season. Obviously they have the potential to be better than they were in the last couple of years - and I don't think it's unfair or a stretch to attribute some of that to a lack of focus.

As you say, they are getting paid millions of dollars so they don't need to be babysat. And, as you said, the very moment they need babysitting, their price falls - which obviously doesn't work when they have signed long-term deals. This means their "price" was set in stone - no matter how much babysitting they require.

I don't think either one of them had a drinking problem. I think both of them had attitude and focus problems, and at least some of that stems from their lifestyle of partying and drinking. I would never dream of taking away anybody's right to drink, party, and have a good time (especially as a 19 year old student), but when you're making $7+ million dollars a year to play hockey, you should not be letting your partying interfere with your hockey. It could have been a raging Halo addiction that was distracting them, it doesn't matter: it comes down to the fact that they were unwilling to put aside their distractions and dedicate themselves to earning their $7+ million dollar paycheques.
QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 10:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

#27 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:57 PM

I guess I can't blame Mike Richards. Gina Lynn does have a nice derriere. Being in LA I'm sure he'll have much more access to adult film stars.

#28 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:02 PM

I guess I can't blame Mike Richards. Gina Lynn does have a nice derriere. Being in LA I'm sure he'll have much more access to adult film stars.

He'll have to compete with the Lakers for that, though. ;)
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#29 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

He'll have to compete with the Lakers for that, though. ;)

Posted Image.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#30 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:35 AM

Don't forget the whole Carter saga and the alleged affair with Hartnell's wife.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman