• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wing Across The Pond

Assistant Captains

Rate this topic

Stuart. I was really impressed with his (few) appearances in interviews last season. Seems to be very well spoken for a hockey player, and I've read reports that he's an important locker room presence. My second choice would be Kronwall.

when has Helm ever not given 100%? Sometimes, last year it felt like he was the only one on the team willing to skate.

Yeah, I've never heard a single fan accuse Helm of ever sitting a shift out. Until now.

Edited by VM1138

Kronwall or Filppula. Doesn't matter to me.

Sorry but, lol @ Helm. After Pav and Z it'll be one of these two. I remember Fil sporting the A in the preseason last season, so he's definitely high on the list. It likely goes:

Pav/Z

Kronner

Filppula

Cleary

Stuart

However, I don't envision Babcock rotating a third A at all. It'll be Nick as the Captain (duh) and then Pav and Z will have the A's, unless they're injured.

Edited by Z and D for the C

You'd think this picture would trigger whatever memory I may or may not have of Kronwall with an A but nope. Oh well. I mean, I believe it but I just can't remember it. The only times I remember him having an A are during pre-season games where Cleary and Fil would have them too.

But I know for sure that picture is from this past year because of that CCM stick. I'm pretty sure it was this past year where he switched from Bauer to CCM.

I'm almost 100% positive that he only wore the A for one game. No more than a handful.

All right, I got curious and compared games late in the season where Draper and Datsyuk were both out while Kronwall was in and finally figured out the game in question. There's a reason you don't remember it, because the thing that everyone remembers from that game is the fact that the Red Wings went up against the St. Louis Rams and lost by a touchdown.

111253837_slide.jpg

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/gallery.htm?id=21705&location=/photos&pg=3

..because it would take him 15 minutes to skate from the front of the net to the penalty box area to chat with the ref about the penalties..

zing, I'll be here all week. Try the veal.

:rolleyes:

Why couldn't it be Homer???

All right, I got curious and compared games late in the season where Draper and Datsyuk were both out while Kronwall was in and finally figured out the game in question. There's a reason you don't remember it, because the thing that everyone remembers from that game is the fact that the Red Wings went up against the St. Louis Rams and lost by a touchdown.

Ah yes... I remember those times... Good times... Good times...

...no, wait...

Speaking of Kronwall, somebody needs to show him this list.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Looking-ahead-to-2011-12-Ranking-the-NHL-s-top-?urn=nhl-wp9802

Perhaps a little motivation for him.

The rotation was started because Babcock felt that Datsyuk was deserving of an A, and they wanted to reflect that. I don't think we will see a rotation now with Draper retired.

The rotation was started because Babcock felt that Datsyuk was deserving of an A, and they wanted to reflect that. I don't think we will see a rotation now with Draper retired.

unless Babcock feels the same way about Kronwall deserving an A as he did about Datsyuk deserving one back then

which is entirely possible given some of those quotes

when has Helm ever not given 100%? Sometimes, last year it felt like he was the only one on the team willing to skate.

Very true actually, I guess he just skates so hard that he gets tired every now and then and has to skate at 'normal people speed' :P plus he has to compete with his performances in 2008 and 2009 when he was a beast

Just to echo what other people here have said, I'd like to see Kronwall wear the A full-time now that Drapes has retired. I believe he's more than earned it during his time here. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, and if so I apologize for asking again, but is there some rule that states you have to have a certain number of full-time alternate/assistant captains? I would imagine there's a cap, otherwise what's to stop a team from outfitting their entire roster with letters, but if the Wings went with the scenario below, would that be acceptable?

C - Nick

A - Hank

A - Pavs

A - Kronner

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, and if so I apologize for asking again, but is there some rule that states you have to have a certain number of full-time alternate/assistant captains? I would imagine there's a cap, otherwise what's to stop a team from outfitting their entire roster with letters, but if the Wings went with the scenario below, would that be acceptable?

I think the only rule is that teams have to name one captain and two assistant for each game. No more, no less. I don't think the rules have anything against it if a team wants to have different captains every game.

From the official rulebook (portion of interest bolded):

Rule 6 - Captain and Alternate Captains

6.1 Captain - One Captain shall be appointed by each team, and he alone shall have the privilege of discussing with the Referee any questions relating to interpretation of rules which may arise during the progress of a game. He shall wear the letter “C,” approximately three inches (3'') in height and in contrasting color, in a conspicuous position on the front of his sweater. No co-Captains are permitted. Either one Captain and no more than two Alternate Captains, or no Captain and no more than three Alternate Captains are permitted (see 6.2).

Only the Captain, when invited to do so by the Referee, shall have the privilege of discussing any point relating to the interpretation of rules. Any Captain, Alternate Captain or any player who comes off the bench and makes any protest or intervention with the officials for any purpose shall be assessed a minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct under Rule 40 – Abuse of Officials. Should this protest continue, he may be assessed a misconduct penalty, and if it further continues, a game misconduct penalty shall be warranted.

A complaint about a penalty is NOT a matter “relating to the interpretation of the rules” and a minor penalty shall be imposed against any Captain, Alternate Captain or any other player making such a complaint.

The Referee and Official Scorer shall be advised, prior to the start of each game, the name of the Captain and the Alternate Captains of both teams.

No playing Coach or playing Manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as Captain or Alternate Captain.

6.2 Alternate Captains – If the permanent Captain is not on the ice, Alternate Captains (not more than two) shall be accorded the privileges of the Captain. Alternate Captains shall wear the letter “A” approximately three inches (3'') in height and in contrasting color, in a conspicuous position on the front of their sweaters.

Edited by 55fan