• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ben_usmc

Has Bobby Orr talked about Lidstrom?

Rate this topic

So i was online looking for quotes from Bobby Orr about Lidstrom but all I could find were peoples comparision, if someone could help out it would be much appreciated.

Edited by ben_usmc

So i was online looking for quotes from Bobby Orr about Lidstrom but all I could find were peoples comparision, if someone could help out it would be much appreciated.

he has, and i'll look for it.

he is very impressed by lidstrom.

*edit*

here it is:

"I don't think there's any question he's in that conversation, no question," Orr told ESPN.com last week. "I mean, you talk about longevity, he's 40, and putting the numbers that he puts up. The success that team has had is mainly because of his play; it's been incredible. He's a class individual. Never heard a bad word about the man. And he plays the way he plays. What else can you ask for?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=lebrun_pierre&id=5918807

it was originally a free press story but it's been deleted.

Edited by drumshanbo

I think this is because Orr has generally stayed under the radar after retiring. That's why you don't hear him talking much at all.

Some other quotes from the aforementioned ESPN article:

"But he sure puts numbers up," said Orr. "He does it differently than the way I did with the end-to-end [play]. I've seen replays recently of his shots from the point -- he gets them through, always on the net. He's not trying to put it through the end boards."
"He doesn't overpower you, he's just so smart, great hockey sense," said Orr. "Intelligence, anticipation -- he does it all. He really does it all."

And probably the most telling of them all...

Before hanging up the phone with ESPN.com, Orr asked us to pass on a message to Lidstrom.

"Do me a favor and tell him how much I love to watch him," said Orr. "He's represented us so darn well.

Nice quotes. Wonder what he will say when Nick passes him in Norris trophies.

Orr won 8 in a row and if not for injuries, would have won around 15 or so Norris trophies.

Even if Lidstrom passes him in Norrises, Orr is the best defenseman ever and the second best player ever, imo.

Guest Shoreline

Nice quotes. Wonder what he will say when Nick passes him in Norris trophies.

"Why did any Lidstrom fans need validation through quotes from me when all they had to do was watch him play?"

Orr won 8 in a row and if not for injuries, would have won around 15 or so Norris trophies.

Even if Lidstrom passes him in Norrises, Orr is the best defenseman ever and the second best player ever, imo.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, however one could make the argument that the differences in career longevity between the two directly correlates to their style of play.

I think it speaks to Lidstrom's credit that he has been so healthy for so much of his career, is able to avoid nonstop physicality and still be as dominant as he is, all while staying healthy and maintaining his level of skill over many years.

Orr was never able to maintain that longevity due to his style of play. That is why I've never bought into the theory that Orr is unanimously better simply because he "would have" won more had he stayed healthy. The fact is... he didn't. He wasn't physically capable of it.

It was his own style of play that led to his injuries, whereas Lidstrom's style of play has led to his preservation.

I don't think that should be overlooked in the comparison.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, however one could make the argument that the differences in career longevity between the two directly correlates to their style of play.

I think it speaks to Lidstrom's credit that he has been so healthy for so much of his career, is able to avoid nonstop physicality and still be as dominant as he is, all while staying healthy and maintaining his level of skill over many years.

Orr was never able to maintain that longevity due to his style of play. That is why I've never bought into the theory that Orr is unanimously better simply because he "would have" won more had he stayed healthy. The fact is... he didn't. He wasn't physically capable of it.

It was his own style of play that led to his injuries, whereas Lidstrom's style of play has led to his preservation.

I don't think that should be overlooked in the comparison.

It's the domination though, Orr is off the charts at his peak - more than doubling the next closest scoring defenseman while still playing vey good defense.

Lidstrom has an underrated peak, but it certainly was not "winning the Norris, Hart, Art Ross, Conn Smythe - all in the same season" good.

I think even with all the accolades Lids has he is severely underrated in just how good he was. He went out and quietly (for his first ten years) played Norris level defense, quarterbacked a dangerous team's powerplay, but was never noticed because until Coffey and Borque (among others of the old 1980s guard) were out of the league he went unnoticed. I would argue that if not for the fact that it took so long for people to notice Lidstrom he would have 10 Norris trophies by now.

Edited by Shaman464

I think even with all the accolades Lids has he is severely underrated in just how good he was. He went out and quietly (for his first ten years) played Norris level defense, quarterbacked a dangerous team's powerplay, but was never noticed because until Coffey and Borque were out of the league. I would argue that if not for the fact that it took so long for people to notice Lidstrom he would have 10 Norris trophies by now.

It's not that hard to imagine - IMO, he easily deserved the Norris in '98 and '09. If there was no lockout in '05 he is the favorite to win it. There's ten right there and he was arguably better than Pronger in '00.