• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 REDHASEK

REDHASEK

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:43 PM

It appears that goaltender Evgeni Nabokov is willing to play for the New York Islanders this season.

The veteran netminder told Newsday that he will report to the Islanders for the 2011-2012 campaign.

"Yes, I do plan on attending [training camp]," Nabokov said in the interview with Newsday. "Now I will have full preparation for the season."

The Islanders claimed Nabokov off waivers from the Detroit Red Wings last January, but when he failed to report, the team suspended him.

"A lot of people speculated that I didn't want to go to the organization but that's totally not true," Nabokov told Newsday.

"What made me make that decision is that I hadn't skated for a month and a half when they claimed me. They were out of the playoffs, but battling to get in and, as a goalie, I know the goalie position is important when fighting for position [in the standings]. I didn't feel that I could help them to get to the playoffs. I needed three to four weeks to get ready and the season would've been over."

The Kamenogorsk, Kazakhstan native was drafted in the ninth round, 219th overall, of the 1994 NHL Entry Draft by the Sharks.

In nine NHL seasons with San Jose, Nabokov appeared in 563 games, posting a 293-178-29-37 record with a 2.39 GAA and a .912 sv%. In his final season, the 35-year-old posted a 44-16-10 record with a 2.43 GAA and led the Sharks to the Western Conference final where they were eliminated by the Chicago Blackhawks.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373039

#2 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:48 PM

Nice save, but yeah, unfortunately Nabby doesn't really have much alternative thanks to certain douchewad GM's.

#3 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:05 PM

not new news tbh.

#4 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:05 PM

NICE, I FEEL BAD FOR HIM THOUGH.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:24 PM

NICE, I FEEL BAD FOR HIM THOUGH.

YEA ME TOO. MAYBE HE WILL PLAY AND HOPE TO GET TRADED AS THE SEASON GOES ON. I HOPE HE DOES WELL THOUGH.

#6 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:33 PM

garth snow is a dumb a** and a loser. i feel very bad for nabby. such a great player...9th round pick...rises to stardom...never wins a cup bc he plays for the choke artists that are the sharks...dropped by SJ because of money...dropped by his KHL team.....BUT THEN! a glimmer of hope! the legendary red wings sign him just in time for him to make a glorious playoff run to his first cup!...but alas garth snow, back up goalie and chronic meth user, amazed the world by ruining everything with his less than logical pickups and signings.

#7 stormboy

stormboy

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:55 PM

YEA ME TOO. MAYBE HE WILL PLAY AND HOPE TO GET TRADED AS THE SEASON GOES ON. I HOPE HE DOES WELL THOUGH.

MIDSEASON DEAL SENDS HIM TO DETROIT? git 'er done, kenny!

go wings.

#8 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:58 PM

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT.

Posted Image

#9 Vladimir316

Vladimir316

Rookie

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:00 AM

I'm sad for DiPietro... lol okay I'm not ))
Red Wings:
Serie in 7: $2(0) Serie in 6: $5 (0) Serie in 5: $7(0) Serie in 4: $10(1) Kronwalled: $5(2) Homer Screening Goal: $5(3) Eurotwin combo: $5(2) The Mule Multi Goal: $5(0) Winning Cup: $15(0)

Rangers:
Serie in 7: $4(0) Serie in 6: $7(0) Serie in 5: $10(0) Serie in 4: $15(0) Save previous rounds making finals x: $0.05(143*) Save Stanley Finals x: $0.05(0) Lundqvist Shutout: $5(0) Dubinsky Goal: $2(2) Stepan Goal: $3(0) Goal any Other Rag $1(6) Prust/Avery Fight: $3(0) Winning Cup: $20(0)

TOTAL RED WINGS: $45 TOTAL RANGERS : $10 TOTAL MONEY ON THE BOARD : $55
*objective not completed!
Updated after Second Round Wings

REST IN PEACE DEREK, YOU WILL ENFORCE A LOT MORE IN THE HEAVEN HOCKEY LEAGUE!

#10 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:15 AM

MIDSEASON DEAL SENDS HIM TO DETROIT? git 'er done, kenny!

I DON'T THINK WE REALLY NEED ANOTHER GOALTENDER, BUT IF WE DO . . .

#11 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:20 AM

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT.

LOUD NOISES!

#12 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:20 AM

LOUD NOISES!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC9WgYoiPXg&feature=related

#13 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:01 AM

It appears that goaltender Evgeni Nabokov is willing to play for the New York Islanders this season.

The veteran netminder told Newsday that he will report to the Islanders for the 2011-2012 campaign.

"Yes, I do plan on attending [training camp]," Nabokov said in the interview with Newsday. "Now I will have full preparation for the season."

The Islanders claimed Nabokov off waivers from the Detroit Red Wings last January, but when he failed to report, the team suspended him.

"A lot of people speculated that I didn't want to go to the organization but that's totally not true," Nabokov told Newsday.

"What made me make that decision is that I hadn't skated for a month and a half when they claimed me. They were out of the playoffs, but battling to get in and, as a goalie, I know the goalie position is important when fighting for position [in the standings]. I didn't feel that I could help them to get to the playoffs. I needed three to four weeks to get ready and the season would've been over."

The Kamenogorsk, Kazakhstan native was drafted in the ninth round, 219th overall, of the 1994 NHL Entry Draft by the Sharks.

In nine NHL seasons with San Jose, Nabokov appeared in 563 games, posting a 293-178-29-37 record with a 2.39 GAA and a .912 sv%. In his final season, the 35-year-old posted a 44-16-10 record with a 2.43 GAA and led the Sharks to the Western Conference final where they were eliminated by the Chicago Blackhawks.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373039

So he didn't feel like he could help them get to the playoffs but presumably he thought he could help the wings win the cup? Does he think winning the cup is easy compared to making the playoffs? Yea, nice back peddling there Nabokov.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#14 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,601 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:42 AM

I still get a kick out of Garth Snow's play stupid plan when he was reportedly shocked and puzzled as to why Nabokov was less than thrilled at the prospect of going from a powerhouse to the East's basement.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#15 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:43 AM

He was misspeculated? Full marks for originality.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#16 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:55 AM

It would have been great to pick him up last season like we wanted to but thanks to an Idiot GM Named Garth Snow that wasn't a possibility. If he wants to get back in the NHL I guess this is the way he's going to have to do it. Maybe he can try to get traded to a decent team. I have not douts that the Isles will be a better team in the coming years but as of right now they aren't exactly a power-house team but I hope Nabby can have a good rest of his NHL Career.

#17 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:12 AM

HAH-HAH!!!

He should've just shown up last year and be done with that organization. Now he will be there for a full NHL season or until they trade him. Which he won't have control over where they send him if they do trade him.

I have no sympathy for this guy.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 02 August 2011 - 10:12 AM.

#18 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:37 AM

Soo a 4th or 5th overall draft pick is a team chasing the playoffs??? Nice cover up Nabby haha

#19 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:33 AM

You guys are seriously pissed at Snow for picking up a goaltender, WHEN HE NEEDED A GOALTENDER? (trying to stay in the spirit of the thread).

Nabokov knew what he was in for and would be subjected to waivers. Snow did not keep the Wings from getting Nabokov. All he did was keep another team from getting Nabokov. Nabby would've had to get past something like 22 other teams before the Wings could sign him. There's no way that was going to happen.

And Nabby is getting off awful light for now saying he wasn't in game shape to play when he decided to come back. Probably just a lame excuse, but if it's true, was he thinking that if he did make the Wings it'd be okay to play crappy since they were going to make the playoffs?

garth snow is a dumb a** and a loser. i feel very bad for nabby. such a great player...9th round pick...rises to stardom...never wins a cup bc he plays for the choke artists that are the sharks...dropped by SJ because of money...dropped by his KHL team.....BUT THEN! a glimmer of hope! the legendary red wings sign him just in time for him to make a glorious playoff run to his first cup!...but alas garth snow, back up goalie and chronic meth user, amazed the world by ruining everything with his less than logical pickups and signings.

About the only part of your post that's accurate is he was a 9th round pick.

He wasn't dropped by his KHL team. He chose to terminate his contract with them mid-season for "family reasons." His KHL team didn't drop him.

And snow grabbing Nabby off waivers made a lot of sense given his goalie situation at the time.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 03 August 2011 - 11:34 AM.

#20 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

Only LGW would consider the following facts:

Nabokov signs in Detroit, but has to pass through waivers.

The Islanders needed a goaltender; with Dipietro injured and Roloson traded, Snow was left with prospects at varying levels of development.

Snow claimed Nabokov on waivers.

Nabokov refused to report.

Snow instead picks up Al Montoya.

LGW Conclusion:

Garth Snow the biggest idiot in GM history.

Real life:

Garth Snow made a smart move, and was vilified by LGW because of it.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."