Hamilton?

#4 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:59 AM

disappointing

Did you honestly think that the locals, who are already taxed to the brim, will be willing to shell out for a $400m arena because Wang doesn't have a clue how to run an NHL team? No thanks.

#5 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:21 AM

Say hello to your Kansas City Islanders!

#6 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,782 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:40 AM

That's a disappointment.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#7 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:37 AM

Lose a big-market team? Uncle Gary will not let it happen.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#8 grwingfan

grwingfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:39 AM

The Isles are not a big market team. That market is owned by the Rangers. My company is based on Long Island and I can tell you known of the people at my office care about the Isles....they are all Rangers fans.

#9 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:06 AM

If so me thinks the Wings will move into the eastern conference.

That said I wouldn't be too surprised if we see Quebec City, and Hamilton make serious pitches for the Isles, or the Yotes in a few short years.

There's always a decent chance of sharing the new Barclays Center with the NJ Nets in Brooklyn.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#10 echos myron

echos myron

swag

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:58 AM

Did you honestly think that the locals, who are already taxed to the brim, will be willing to shell out for a $400m arena because Wang doesn't have a clue how to run an NHL team? No thanks.

pretty sure there would be no new taxes introduced. i could be wrong though

#11 echos myron

echos myron

swag

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:55 PM

Mangano says the average cost to taxpayers would be as little as $14 per year, though a state fiscal watchdog said the increase could be more than four times that amount.

#12 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

$14 is obviously enough of a hike for those who aren't interested in a new arena.

If Grand Rapids proposed a tax hike to build an arena for a new basketball team, I know I'd vote it down.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#13 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:05 PM

The Isles are not a big market team. That market is owned by the Rangers. My company is based on Long Island and I can tell you known of the people at my office care about the Isles....they are all Rangers fans.

yeah everyone I know from long island loves the rangers lol

#14 echos myron

echos myron

swag

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:53 PM

$14 is obviously enough of a hike for those who aren't interested in a new arena.

If Grand Rapids proposed a tax hike to build an arena for a new basketball team, I know I'd vote it down.

if the hypothetical basketball arena only caused a $14 raise in taxes, would that "hike" outweigh the possible economic boost provided by having that arena

#15 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:05 PM

if the hypothetical basketball arena only caused a $14 raise in taxes, would that "hike" outweigh the possible economic boost provided by having that arena

That initial raise of $14 would only increase after the completion of said arena, almost without a doubt. Additionally, if I'm thinking about myself alone, I wouldn't see anything but inflation from such an economic boost.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#16 _Kabrok_

_Kabrok_

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:51 PM

Kansas City is all but dead as a potential relocation spot. Sprint Center is much too profitable as-is without a host team eating up 40-odd nights a year. Not dissimilar to ASG wanting the Thrashers out of Philips.

#17 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:54 AM

Its between Quebec or Kansas, I dont see any other location for the Islanders. NHL will probably go 2 Kansas tho, but every Nhl fan knows its best for the league to go to Quebec.

#18 Krystal

Krystal

Hank's My Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:56 AM

Its between Quebec or Kansas Missouri

Fixed that for ya.

The Sprint Center is a good fit for an NHL team, but I don't forsee it actually housing one. Not only because of Kabrok's statement that the arena is doing fine on it's own without an anchor team (although it is) but there's just zero drive for anyone in the area to want to buy the team. The city won't buy it like Glendale did with the Coyotes, and I don't see anyone really wanting to pony up to pay for the Isles.

Then of course, you get more league restructuring talk - etc etc and they already need to do it because of the Jets. I don't think the league would be too keen on having to do it yet again when the Islanders' arena agreement runs out.

#19 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:24 AM

That's a disappointment.

I'm not disappointed. Nassau just saved quite a substantial amount on taxpayers financing private enterprise. Good for their citizens.

ikr

#20 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:11 AM

After Nassau County voters rejected a referendum to build a new arena for the Islanders, the Barclays Center being built in Brooklyn has emerged as a possible new home for the hockey team when its lease at Nassau Coliseum expires in 2015.

For years, Barclays Center officials claimed the arena would be too small for pro hockey.

But, earlier this week, they confirmed the arena would actually be fitted with an NHL-regulation rink when it opens in September 2012.

And the NHL says it doesn’t have a minimum-seating requirement for arenas that its teams play in.

Barclays Center officials skated around questions about interest in the Islanders, but arena CEO Brett Yormark said "we hope to explore hockey opportunities in the future."

The arena holds 18,000 seats for basketball, and sources said it could hold about 14,500 seats for hockey.

The smallest seating capacity for an NHL team is 15,015 at the MTS Center in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Beginning this fall, it will be home to the Winnipeg Jets.

The Nassau Coliseum seats 16,234, but the Islanders averaged only 11,059 fans per game last season -- the worst in the NHL.

Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz says the team “belongs in Brooklyn.”

“We've got lots of hockey fans, and since we're technically still on Long Island, they can call themselves the 'Brooklyn Islanders,’” he said.

Barclays Center is also just a slap shot away from Islanders owner Charles Wang's alma mater, Brooklyn Technical HS in Fort Greene.

Some local officials privately said they could see Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov, who also owns 45 percent of the Barclays Center, potentially acquiring the Islanders to add 44-60 dates per year to help fill the arena.

A Prokhorov spokeswoman, however, said the Russian billionaire “has no interest in buying another sports team at this time.”

The arena currently is projected to host about 200 events annually, including Nets games.

Queens, Kansas City, Mo., Suffolk County and Canada have also been rumored as potential landing spots for the Islanders.

Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano yesterday said he still hopes to keep the club on Long Island.

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...K#ixzz1Tyikghet

As the Barclays Center is not too far from my apt. I would love the move.

Markowitz would love everything to be the "Brooklyn _____" If Brooklyn is technically still on the Isle... isn't Brooklyn still then in NY? His hard-on for Brooklyn is sometimes maddening.
Hell Marty, they're not the Manhattan Rangers.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.